U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2012, 01:36 PM

12,152 posts, read 8,052,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Or the opposite, I want $1M in wealth, so I pay myself $1, and allow my company to grow wealth. Since we dont tax wealth, you can raise taxes to 100%, but since my salary is so low, I wont pay crap, but I'll still be a multi millionaire.

yeah, liberals won because they go from getting $600K to $0 and my wealth grows at the rate of $1M a year, to $1.66M a year.. They showed me!!
That was my strategy until I sold.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 01:40 PM

12,152 posts, read 8,052,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
If you think Wal-Mart, and using computers at the library are so great, why don't you do it?

There were virtually no homelessness until a) Reagan de-institutionalized the mentally ill, b) banks made housing loans to people who couldn't afford it, then the loans were bundled into 3-rd rate investment instruments that eventually imploded causing c) massive unemployment .

It's not unreasonable to roll back exec pay to what it was before taxes were lifted from the higher income brackets. Why should execs enjoy a feeding frenzy at the public's expense?
Reagan didn't do it. The supreme court ruled he had to. It was the ACLU.

It is unreasonable because we are a nation of private corporations and free people.

Old 05-29-2012, 01:54 PM

44,207 posts, read 22,901,835 times
Default Some here misunderstand the nature of poverty.

It's not about consumption, the condition of involuntary poverty comes with a huge social component as well. Heck, even Adam Smith got that, as evidenced by his linen shirt example:

Quote:
A linen shirt, for example, is, strictly speaking, not a necessary of life. The Greeks and Romans lived, I suppose, very comfortably, though they had no linen. But in the present times, through the greater part of Europe, a creditable day-labourer would be ashamed to appear in public without a linen shirt, the want of which would be supposed to denote that disgraceful degree of poverty, which, it is presumed, nobody can well fall into without extreme bad conduct.
I drive through some pretty rotten LA neighborhoods, and there's currently a marketing campaign with neon-colored posters advertising the wonders of the $49 tooth extraction. I have traveled in most of the First World, and I've never encountered that anywhere else. And while it's true that a modern, hygienic tooth extraction with painkillers and infection control is a luxury that would have been unthinkable among the richest people 200 years ago, in 2012, calling the cut-rate dentist to set up a $49 tooth extraction must be as demeaning as it gets. Decent dental care is a contemporary linen shirt. It's disgraceful to be without.

Then, of course, there's the disproportionate political power being wielded by the extraordinary wealthy. But that's a different and much darker story.

Old 05-30-2012, 12:07 PM

14,499 posts, read 25,667,552 times
Post agree-

Quote:
Anything that costs hundreds of dollars is a luxury item. This is now getting down to a definition of "poor". But some of those who do have computers have second-hand ones, or donated ones.
Of course, some can only argue red herrings like a microwave or computer when the actual effects of inome inequality are affecting everyone in the middle class adversely.

Everyone is affected. However, it is a brilliant tactic on the part of the 1% that citizens sit here and snipe about something as stupid as a microwave or laptop.

MSM brainwashing mission accomplished. Now, for those defending capitalism, go out and buy that Lexus that will depreciate 100% in 9 months, and relish in the fact that the "American Dream" is nothing but a sham.

Old 05-30-2012, 12:26 PM

12,546 posts, read 20,548,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
It wouldn't have been done if the government wasn't guaranteeing them.
so the fact that most of the subprime loans weren't made under government guarantee makes your point irrelevant...

Old 05-30-2012, 12:48 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,676,470 times
For those that have a problem with CEO pay in this country, especially the well connected Bankers and Mega Corporate CEO's connected to the hip of the US Government:

Turn about is fair play:

The response is to create the same policies they have inflicted on all American's for their own greed.

That would entail opening up the world to our markets where CEO's and aspiring talent can come into the US and do these jobs where many CEO's are over payed.

The sudden supply of competent people entering the market via supply and demand would suppress compensation to a realistic level on par with the rest of the world.

We know that the top elite control all these policies though, so as long as they exist, and are allowed to corrupt and par take in our government, they are a threat to the well being of every American in this country.

They have enacted policies that benefit their positions at the expense of the rest of the nation. They believe in protectionist policies for themselves but not for the majority of American's

Since they believe in protectionist policies, the moral and correct thing to do, is also to spread these protectionist policies to all American's.

Old 05-30-2012, 12:56 PM

This is correct.

There was no coercion or force for anyone well versed in the financial scandal's that took place. The Bankers had their ducks in a row to benefit handsomely from the financial mortgage scandals. And they did, while the common American lost by loosing his home, or bailing out these financial terrorists.

People need to understand, anything offered by the government and their cronies though (Bankers, CEO's) is never done for the benefit of American's but to steal from the tax payers to fatten the greedy wallets at the top.

All House Democrats and Republicans sold the lie that every American needs a home, but they were doing it not out of the goodness of their black hearts, but to fatten the wallets on Wall Street and the Financial Sector.

Same goes with Food Stamps, which JP Morgan has profited off of handsomely.

Same goes with the College Loan racket and SLABS created from Wall Street which inflated the costs of tuition and puts people in debt so that the financial terrorists on Wall Street to rake in the dough.

The same also goes with any National Health Care plan, by Obama or Romney, which would again, be benefiting the parasites at the top.

Quote:
The fed gov't didn't "force" banks to give loans to people who couldn't afford, them, who do you think you're kidding? The banks chose to do that, and you're right, they shouldn't have done it, it was a very bad business move based on greed.

Employing 1, 10, or a million people is not a byproduct of the quest for profit, it is the means to the quest for profit. But keep trying to justify destroying the middle class and keeping people in poverty. You'll only dig yourself in deeper here. I'm selling tickets to this show, and making a bundle!

Old 05-30-2012, 01:00 PM

Quote:
It wouldn't have been done if the government wasn't guaranteeing them.
What kinds of people setting policy make up the government?

Joe Six Pack or the Heads of Financial Institutions and Major Corporations that go into politics to benefit their cronies in the private sector?

Old 05-30-2012, 01:13 PM

79,844 posts, read 41,395,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
What kinds of people setting policy make up the government?

Joe Six Pack or the Heads of Financial Institutions and Major Corporations that go into politics to benefit their cronies in the private sector?

Sure. Head of the NY Fed. Head of the Treasury. CEO of Goldman Sachs. That's the way it works.

Do you have a clue why Obama followed the same failed policy when one of the major promises was that he wouldn't?

(and no, Romney will not change this either)

People ***** and moan about this but refuse to vote for anyone that would change it.

Old 05-30-2012, 01:46 PM

To be honest. I think we have a failed election process where it does not matter who we vote for, because these scum at the top have other plans and ideas in mind that do not include the American people.

They have already chosen who is going to be the next president that will continue on with the status quo, stealing my taxes dollars and murdering people around the world to fatten their ego and satiate their greed for more power and wealth.

Take the various organizations and groups in mind like the Trilateral Commision, the WTO, CFO, Bilderberg Group.

These are not some conspiracy theory groups, but do actually exist.
They consist of the same people in our government dictating and discussing policy making in private, out of the public's eye.

Does it bother you that they discuss matters most important to the American Public, in private, and does that sound like something that would happen in a Free Transparent and Open Democratic Country like America is supposed to be, or a dictatorship ruled by tyranny by the minority?

Quote:
Sure. Head of the NY Fed. Head of the Treasury. CEO of Goldman Sachs. That's the way it works.

Do you have a clue why Obama followed the same failed policy when one of the major promises was that he wouldn't?

(and no, Romney will not change this either)

People ***** and moan about this but refuse to vote for anyone that would change it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies