Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2012, 07:03 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
What makes choosing an abortion for sex selection radical? That has been going on for a long time.
Demanding that a grown woman attending college pay for her own contraception is a war on women, but this is no big deal? Wow, just wow.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 07:11 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,207,740 times
I so do not understand how some people can nit pick over a statement to "prove" it means something other than what the poster said and clearly meant.

People WANT a baby, regardless of whether it turns out to be a boy or a girl. While they may PREFER that the baby might be one gender or the other, that does not mean they place any less value upon the developing baby if it is not the gender they prefer. Nor does it mean they will love that child any less.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:17 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
I so do not understand how some people can nit pick over a statement to "prove" it means something other than what the poster said and clearly meant.

People WANT a baby, regardless of whether it turns out to be a boy or a girl. While they may PREFER that the baby might be one gender or the other, that does not mean they place any less value upon the developing baby if it is not the gender they prefer. Nor does it mean they will love that child any less.
If ALL babies are precious then why a preference? That is not logical(although anti-Choicers/Anti-Women folk do not suffer from logic)

If they "will not love that child any less' WHY a preference???

If there's a preference that's sexism meaning their views on women and men will be skewed.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
How do you know this??

I was without health insurance for about 4-5 years and PP were my healthcare providers for gynecological services. I became pregnant during that time and I was never pushed to get an abortion. Even in the video posted in the OP, the person was not pushed. The person came in going on and on about how they wanted an abortion if the fetus was a girl. It is not up to PP to try to dissuade people from getting an abortion or to push abortion on it's users.

It is always strange to me that so many people on these forums who have never been to PP want to tell everyone what happens there. Everyone who I came in contact with were very professional and cordial. When I became pregnant, they were very helpful to me and referred me to an organization which became my ob/gyn for the next ten years. I have never had an abortion and was never pushed to do so by PP. They also educated me a whole lot about different forms of birth control - the risks associated with all types available at the time and gave me much more info than regular gyns gave me.
While all that is true, let's face it, it's not as much fun as hysterically lying about PP. It doesn't further Anti-Choicers attacks on women so they will either ignore you or swear you're lying.

Luckily most people still agree abortion should be legal....and are NOT interested in punishing women who have sex.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:38 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,171,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Wait until they're able to identify the "gay gene" and women start aborting gay babies.

The left will implode!
Again, abortion for any reason up until viability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyyfanatic85 View Post
This is pure evil, plain and simple. Face it folks, we have met the enemy this year and they have truly shown their true colors. The left is abhorrent, despicable, and evil, and their ultimate ploy is to cast their beliefs as "progress."
Any other ad hominems you'd like to add?

Quote:
- Tax-supported abortions
Citation Needed.

Quote:
- Obamacare
Voted on by Democrats and Republicans.

Quote:
- Forcing religious institutions to offer free contraception that violates their religious beliefs
Blatant misleading, pretty close to a lie.

The problem was that a religiously based hospital partook in government funds but cried like babies when they were held to the same rules and regulations that any other hospital would.

Quote:
- Demonization of those who vote in favor of upholding traditional marriage, restricting abortions, or anyone who doesn't go along with the grand plan
Says the person who claimed "The left is abhorrent, despicable, and evil".

Traditional marriage is actually polygamy.
The only restriction to abortion should be "On-Demand until viability. Past that only for the health and safety of the mother".
As for this "grand plan", citation or examples needed.

Quote:
- Aborting babies based on their sex and casting it as a women's rights issue when it's really murder
Her body, her choice. If the abortion is legal in the state that she is in, not my business.

As for the murder thing, legally it is not. Using the word murder is called an Appeal to Emotion.

Quote:
- Throw smoke up (Sandra Fluke and the war on women) whenever they're clearly on the wrong side of a Constitutional issue
Citation or example needed.

Quote:
- $5 trillion in additional debt in just 3+ years in office
Done by both republicans and democrats in the House and Senate. It's a combined effort.

Quote:
- Have the mainstream media completely ignore stuff like this, while refusing to do their proper vetting of President Obama
Citation or example needed.

Quote:
Absolutely disgusting. If you get past all the smoke that is thrown out and analyze each issue on its own merit, it's obvious that the Left has been on the WRONG side of every single one of the issues I mentioned.
When in fact, there was nothing there but baseless propaganda without one iota of evidence.

Quote:
The perfect example of this is Barack Obama! Just watch with this campaign: Like the Left, he has absolutely nothing to run on; his record is abysmal, and he knows that if he reveals what he really wants to do, most Americans will object to it. So what's his plan to get re-elected? Euphamisms, distractions from the real issues, smokescreens, negativity, divisiveness, and class warfare.

Get prepared for the most negative, divisive campaign ever seen: he's going to demonize Mitt Romney up and down while continuing to divide Americans on account of sex, race, etc. Quite ironic for a President who ran the '08 campaign and cast himself as someone who was above the partisan and divisive rhetoric. Didn't he say he was going to be a uniter, not a divider?
Off topic blather.

Quote:
Those of you who continue to support the administration, including the party which continues to push for funding of PP, need to wake up and realize what exactly you stand for. This is immature, despicable behavior that should have no place in a highly developed Western country.
The administration is made up of Republicans and Democrats. They're both in the wrong.

As for "immature, despicable behavior" tidbit - sounds like yet another baseless attack on an ideal. Considering the incorrect and misleading information, we're looking here at a series of Strawman, Guilt By Association, Appeal to Emotion, Appeal to Tradition (the marriage thing), and Circumstantial Ad Hominem fallacies. And of course, blasting lefties for demonizing and attacking while doing the same thing - Two Wrongs Don't Make a Right.

Fallacies do not a good debate make.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
This sounds like the real "war on women", oh I forgot babies don't count according to liberals.
"Babies" (fetuses) don't count until the point of viability. This is around 24 weeks. At 24 weeks, most fetuses are capable of being removed from the mother's body and be able to perform their own basic bodily functions. And before somebody makes a baseless claim regarding a not-so-healthy fetuses, the ones that aren't able to perform certain bodily functions are helped via medical assistance - but they do indeed count at around 24 weeks just like a healthy child.

Until such time as the child is capable of being removed, it is completely dependent upon the specific mother's body. That it why the entire ordeal is her choice.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
If ALL babies are precious then why a preference? That is not logical(although anti-Choicers/Anti-Women folk do not suffer from logic)

If they "will not love that child any less' WHY a preference???

If there's a preference that's sexism meaning their views on women and men will be skewed.
Loving a child regardless of it's gender, whether it's the gender you preferred or not, is NOT logic. But then, love isn't "logical". It is a deep, heartfelt emotion, a bond that does not fit in to the pigeonhole you are trying to force it into.

If you still don't get it, well.......you just don't "GET IT". Not my fault you can't understand the unconditional love a parent can have for a child, regardless of its gender.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
Loving a child regardless of it's gender, whether it's the gender you preferred or not, is NOT logic. But then, love isn't "logical". It is a deep, heartfelt emotion, a bond that does not fit in to the pigeonhole you are trying to force it into.

If you still don't get it, well.......you just don't "GET IT". Not my fault you can't understand the unconditional love a parent can have for a child, regardless of its gender.
NO, YOU didn't get it.

I did NOT post that love was illogical. IF I did you'd have proof I did and you don't.

What intelligent prople would understand is that I posted that IF Anti-Choice folks think ALL babies are precious gifts then they would have no preference about the sex of the child....to do so is illogical.

But if they feel as the Chinese do I guess it's their choice.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:09 AM

8,346 posts, read 7,045,229 times
Quote:
NO, YOU didn't get it.

I did NOT post that love was illogical.

Well, to be fair, love is pretty illogical.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:13 AM

Quote:
NO, YOU didn't get it.

I did NOT post that love was illogical. IF I did you'd have proof I did and you don't.

What intelligent prople would understand is that I posted that IF Anti-Choice folks think ALL babies are precious gifts then they would have no preference about the sex of the child....to do so is illogical.

But if they feel as the Chinese do I guess it's their choice.
I'll try and simply it for the simple minds that don't understand.

God is giving out chocolate sundaes. One person would really like to have a cherry atop his chocolate sundae but if he gets one without, it will in no way diminish his enjoyment of the chocolate sundae. In fact, it will be no big deal at all to not have the cherry on top. It's still a chocolate sundae and every bit as enjoyable.

If you don't understand that, then there's no hope. I won't be making any other analogies or posts on this subject.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:18 AM

1,575 posts, read 1,735,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
YOU are paying for it with your tax money. PP is taking tons of tax payer money--they are funded.
Exactly. I have one child that I raised all 21 years as a single parent. I have worked and paid taxes for 37 years. I have seen the waste, fraud and abuse of my tax dollars by the lazy and irresponsible. I am sick of our government using my tax dollars to enable the lazy entitlement, generational bilk the system masses. I'm sure you are too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies