Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 11:52 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Maybe I missed it. What deregulations by Bush were on your link? Did you expect people to not actually click it, or did you grab a random link from google and didnt bother reading it yourself?

Again, dont you remember congressional hearings because Bush wanted to regulate them more and Democrats said the GOP was nuts?

Democrats in their own words Covering up Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac scandal - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 11:52 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
If you can't handle it, try not to shamelessly bring it up in another thread. You're welcome to create a thread on it, if you feel there is some room left for you to run around. Please go ahead. Stop being a troll... and explain what "lie" are we supposed to talk here.

Creating lies and crisis out of thin air, to stimulate the economy.

Kinda like healthcare became a big crisis the day Obama took office.

Old 05-29-2012, 11:53 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Like I said, passed by the GOP congress.
No, that is not what you said.

Old 05-29-2012, 12:00 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Sarcastic or not Krugman's argument is that a good war would be good for the economy and that we should do that even if it was based upon a lie. I stated we tried that under Bush and it didn't work. Do you disagree?
Krugman made that argument for WWII, and he did make it for Iraq war as well. He believes that demand stimulates economy. Where he goes farther is recognition of the size of demand. So, get a clue before you conclude.

And since when was Iraq war a plan to stimulate economy? BTW, unlike you, Krugman also realizes implications of wars and especially post-war economy when the demand collapses. That will make for a rather detailed discussion, no?

Quote:
Yes, I would say it didn't. WWII put us in a huge hole. Much of Europe and Japan was in ruins and we had people with a positive attitude ready and willing to fill the needs that Japan and Europe couldn't.
We were engaged in WWII when Great Depression was history. You're fixated on post-war economy (which, BTW, suffered with the kind of short term retraction following WWII that Krugman has spoken about). When do you think the call to end of Great Depression is logical?

Quote:
If you are arguing that we should attack China to stop their exports, well, I'm not willing to try that and see how it works out.
I thought you hated oversimplifications but I have seen nothing but.

Quote:
I would love to see the president take a "yes we can" attitude. "We" not being the government.
"Yes we can" is a positive attitude. If you don't think it helped, you shouldn't make that your point. BTW, why can't "we" be the government?

Quote:
I stated clearly what I thought. I thought the "good" times were simply another bubble and just an illusion.
The question was: What is your take on the state of economy since 2001?

Old 05-29-2012, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Creating lies and crisis out of thin air, to stimulate the economy.
Is it a lie to suggest that WWII helped bring an end to Great Depression?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
But thats not what you said, and that doesnt at all deal with the issue. Talking about strawman arguments..
Then tell me about your understanding of what I said, and how it ties to the thread.

Old 05-29-2012, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Is it a lie to suggest that WWII helped bring an end to Great Depression?

Then tell me about your understanding of what I said, and how it ties to the thread.

It took Eisenhower to cut the size of government, lower taxes, and get rid of the illegal alien parasites, that got us out of the hole.

Almost 10 years after the war was officially over.

Old 05-29-2012, 12:05 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Here is exactly wht you said
Quote:
Which is why they joined the show, for their shareholders' interests.
Which was laughable on its face, and it doesnt tie to the thread, which is why I accused you of trolling.. Just hijacking the thread to distract, thats what you're best at.

Old 05-29-2012, 12:09 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Krugman made that argument for WWII, and he did make it for Iraq war as well. He believes that demand stimulates economy. Where he goes farther is recognition of the size of demand. So, get a clue before you conclude.
So again, you and Krugman believe that Iraq was good for the economy? That if Bush lied about his reasons for attack, that was O.K. since it helped out the economy?

Quote:
And since when was Iraq war a plan to stimulate economy? BTW, unlike you, Krugman also realizes implications of wars and especially post-war economy when the demand collapses. That will make for a rather detailed discussion, no?
If he understood, he wouldn't make the argument that the government should do it. He would argue against this no matter the costs.

Quote:
We were engaged in WWII when Great Depression was history. You're fixated on post-war economy (which, BTW, suffered with the kind of short term retraction following WWII that Krugman has spoken about). When do you think the call to end of Great Depression is logical?
The economy was still in the crapper when WWII started.

Quote:
I thought you hated oversimplifications but I have seen nothing but.
Unsimplify it for me so that I understand.

Quote:
"Yes we can" is a positive attitude. If you don't think it helped, you shouldn't make that your point. BTW, why can't "we" be the government?
Because they can not create anything. They can only take from one and give to someone else.

Quote:
The question was: What is your take on the state of economy since 2001?
How many times do I have to state that it was illusionary?

Old 05-29-2012, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Here is exactly wht you said

Which was laughable on its face, and it doesnt tie to the thread, which is why I accused you of trolling.. Just hijacking the thread to distract, thats what you're best at.
Well, this was the closest you got to discussing something valuable in this thread after all...

Quote:
Um no, it had to do with government insuring debts that would never have been issued in the private sector. Krugmans role in the 2008 collpase is immaterial because its not the topic.
So, now you think that was off topic?

Old 05-29-2012, 12:14 PM

Why would Krugman even suggest lying, to spur a bubble?

Is this all he has?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies