Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 09:52 AM

197 posts, read 208,231 times

Advertisements

These forums have become . . . hateful. And yes, there have been a lot more threads about the negatives of blacks., leading to more angry counter threads like this. Hatred breeds more hatred.

Just be mindful of how you approach these topics. Getting angry at the abundance of "black" threads does nothing but perpetuate the very perceptions you wish to disappear. At the same time, its hard not to get angry when there are clear historical attitudes towards blacks which have never been truly acknowledged. Nor can most people acknowledge them; to truly understand the burden of being negatively judged just for existing, you would have to be black.

And so the cycle continues . . .

Old 05-30-2012, 09:53 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
There bad in bed , can we address that?

Old 05-30-2012, 09:53 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
On this wanted to say that all white people are not uncomfortable with the natural look of black people. Also, I am a black woman with very long natural hair and I have never had a problem getting a job. My ethnic name is ethnic Irish (I joke I am black Irish LOL) but there have been studies that have proven that black people with ethnic or even ghetto sounding names do not have many problems associated with those names as long as they are qualified and educated in the job market. They do face the same prejudices as other blacks in the job market but of those who have careers, it is not a hindrance to them, their name.

I have quite a few, if not a lot of white friends and they all love my hair. The women especially but even some of the men (quite a few white men I know are married to or are in relationships with black women though) comment all the time about how beautiful my hair is and try to touch it (which is a no-no for me as I don't like people touching my hair).

I agree with you on the amount of murders that black people commit against each other. But in regards to your article, it is mentioned by the author that black on black crime and murders are ignored and this is not the case at all in my experience. There are many organizations and people who go out and try to end gang violence, which previously accounted for a large percentage of black murder victims. Gang violence has decreased as has the murder rate amongst all Americans including black Americans. Memberships in gangs in particular, which were a huge problem when I was growing up in the 80s and 90s have substantially decreased.

But to say that black people ignore crime and "tolerate" it is false. If it was ignored, people wouldn't be working on bringing crime down. No one wants to live with crime and no one I know tolerates it at all and I live in what is considered a high crime neighborhoood. Even though I haven't been touched by crime, I am on our public safety committee and personally know a few of our neighborhood police officers. Crime rates in my neighborhood have been cut by more than 70% since the 90s due to the resident's involvement in our public safety committee and how residents are very proactive in reporting crimes and tips to authorities about suspected criminals in the neighborhood.
To his credit Al Sharpton did an hour on his radio show yesterday on the shootings in Chicago. I think when one says ignored, they are referring to the seemingly outweighed response by Black leaders to the few incidences where Whites attack Blacks than the multitudes of Blacks killed by Blacks. Also for a problem to be going on for 40 years with no end in sight a certain level of ambivalence has to occur.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:59 AM

3,130 posts, read 3,074,467 times
These threads are dumb. It's basically like "black people are bad, no white people are bad, my dad could beat up your dad" over and over again.

I'm a white male, but it really shouldn't matter in this discussion. When I hear other white people (and self-loathing black people) making sweeping negative generalizations about black people all being criminals, on welfare, etc., it makes me sad. When I hear black people (and self-loathing white people) making sweeping negative generalizations about white people being racists or in denial about it, it also makes me sad. I have no desire to take sides for white people or black people; I have a desire to take a side in favor of those who recognize everybody as a valuable human being regardless of their race or ethnicity, and against those who make sweeping generalizations.

Yes, there is racism, and yes, there are misunderstandings amongst races. I think most white people are naive to the racism that still exists against black people today, and I think that a lot of black people are naive to the fact that most white people really do not want to be racist and are unaware of any conditioning of prejudice that they might have. But solving this problem isn't going to be accomplished by picking racial sides and flinging mud.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:59 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
To his credit Al Sharpton did an hour on his radio show yesterday on the shootings in Chicago. I think when one says ignored, they are referring to the seemingly outweighed response by Black leaders to the few incidences where Whites attack Blacks than the multitudes of Blacks killed by Blacks. Also for a problem to be going on for 40 years with no end in sight a certain level of ambivalence has to occur.
Al Sharpton actually speaks quite a bit about violence in the black community. I don't really like him all that much but I listen to Tom Joyner and Sharpton is on that show and Michael Baisden, which I listen to sometimes, quite frequently and he is usually speaking about bringing down the violence in the black community.

Like I have said many times on these forums, there are no "black leaders." I don't consider Sharpton one, but like I said if you want to use him as an example, he does speak about stopping violence and crime in black communities often, you don't hear about it because it is not "sexy" so to speak in the national media. There are many local community organizations across the country that focus on bringing down violence in black neighborhoods.

Wanted to note that the problem of murder is not exclusive to black people and has been going on a whole lot longer than 40 years. Our country as a whole is very violent and it is something that all of us need to work on. Black people are not ambivalent towards these sorts of crimes at all. If that were the case, like I stated, murder rates would not be the lowest they have been in decades right now.

Old 05-30-2012, 10:03 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I wouldn't say that but it was a white led movement in the UK, France and the USA. Certainly Blacks fought in the US Civil War for the Union but if there was no war they wouldn't be able to fight. It's not as if Blacks woke up one day and launched a war to end slavery in the USA. Bowing to international pressure Spain, Portugal and Brazil also stopped slavery.

Also a little dirty secret is that Blacks in the USA owned slaves for profit as well. In fact one of the first slaveowners was one of the first Africans to set foot in Colonial Virginia, Antonio Johnson. James Forten, aunt willed his sister a female slave. Then there was Charleston, SC.

Black Slave Owners in Charleston

As a reader of history, I've learned early on there are seldom if ever any absolutes. Human beings are too complex for that.
I guess you missed the part of the history lesson about the various slave rebellions. Needless to say, they didn't work out. Guess who had all the guns, plus the law on their side?

Not that this has anything at all to do with the OP...

Old 05-30-2012, 10:05 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHitman View Post
Yes, I agree. Blacks do have a lot of issues to deal with.

Whites have a massive issue to deal with.

How can YOU end racism? YOU started it in this country, you should deal with it. I never SEE any thread related to that. All of the treads about race are always about how terrible, ignorant,etc,,,,,,,,,, blacks are.

As if whites are so wonderful. In case you did not notice, whites run this world that's going to hell in a hand basket.
Haven't read through this entire thread but the simple answer is that White people (in general) fear losing their place on the top of the totem pole.

They don't want Black children to do better than their children in school. They don't want Black people to have better jobs and earn more money than they do. This is the reason that they scream so loudly against "Affirmative Action" yet say nothing about "nepotism and legacies"...they don't have a problem with "unfair advantage" so long as the person receiving that unfair advantage is also White.

When Whites realized that Asians had surpassed them academically, they started to hypersexualize the women (stereotyping them as boom boom girls and geishas) and culturallly emasculated the men. Therefore making sure that Asians are not at the top of that totem pole.

But their latest fear revolves around Hispanics and Whites becoming a minority in America. The reason that there is such a great fear of becoming a "minority" is because they know what they have done to minorities and fear that the same will be done to them in turn.

Old 05-30-2012, 10:10 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,630,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHitman View Post
Yes, I agree. Blacks do have a lot of issues to deal with.

Whites have a massive issue to deal with.

How can YOU end racism? YOU started it in this country, you should deal with it. I never SEE any thread related to that. All of the treads about race are always about how terrible, ignorant,etc,,,,,,,,,, blacks are.

As if whites are so wonderful. In case you did not notice, whites run this world that's going to hell in a hand basket.
I am white. I did not start racism. I wasn't here when this country was founded. I have never owned a slave, nor has any family member that I traced back to when my ancestors arrived here from Europe. A portion of American whites are the very reason that blacks enjoy the freedom they do now. They stood with the slaves and demanded things change. Then in the 60's, whites stood with blacks to demand equality. There are still whites standing with blacks today and always will be. Neither race is evil. They both have their good and bad.

Whites only run the world currently, and the rate things are going it won't be long until that changes. No other race is going to do any better because race has nothing to do with the state of our planet. Have you noticed how blacks are treating blacks in African nations? Have you noticed that all over the world people treat other people of their own race like garbage on a regular basis? Whites do it too. Just because the elite whites have set themselves up with a nice system to retain their status and wealth, it doesn't mean all whites are in "the club".

Old 05-30-2012, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmsu01 View Post
These threads are dumb. It's basically like "black people are bad, no white people are bad, my dad could beat up your dad" over and over again.

I'm a white male, but it really shouldn't matter in this discussion. When I hear other white people (and self-loathing black people) making sweeping negative generalizations about black people all being criminals, on welfare, etc., it makes me sad. When I hear black people (and self-loathing white people) making sweeping negative generalizations about white people being racists or in denial about it, it also makes me sad. I have no desire to take sides for white people or black people; I have a desire to take a side in favor of those who recognize everybody as a valuable human being regardless of their race or ethnicity, and against those who make sweeping generalizations.

Yes, there is racism, and yes, there are misunderstandings amongst races. I think most white people are naive to the racism that still exists against black people today, and I think that a lot of black people are naive to the fact that most white people really do not want to be racist and are unaware of any conditioning of prejudice that they might have. But solving this problem isn't going to be accomplished by picking racial sides and flinging mud.
Well stay sad because your post is contradictory. You are saying there is a white way to think and a black way to think and if someone of one race says something that is counter to the nationalistic rhetoric of their race they are self loathing. So white liberals are self loathing and black conservatives are self loathing which is ludicrous.

Old 05-30-2012, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I guess you missed the part of the history lesson about the various slave rebellions. Needless to say, they didn't work out. Guess who had all the guns, plus the law on their side?

Not that this has anything at all to do with the OP...
Excuses, excuses. He said millions of Blacks fought to end slavery. I spotted him Haiti now I'm waiting for the millions of others.

Look I deal in facts not petty emotions if you throw out things as fact back them up or step off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies