Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 11:50 AM

45,542 posts, read 27,152,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
For what it's worth here is the Trinity UCC mission statement.

Trinity - Mission
Just looking throught the webpage and thought this was funny.

We are called out to be "a chosen people" that pays no attention to socio-economic or educational backgrounds. We are made up of the highly educated and the uneducated. Our congregation is a combination of the haves and the have-nots; the economically disadvantaged, the under-class, the unemployed and the employable.

How can you say you don't pay attention to something and then call out each group you just said you don't pay attention to?

IF you don't pay attention to these things - then it seems like the focus should be on the congreagation as a whole.

At least 4 of the 10 goals are unbiblical IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 11:55 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,070,698 times
Jesus the "Uniter."

49 I am come to send fire on the earth; and what will I, if it be already kindled?

50 But I have a baptism to be baptized with; and how am I straitened till it be accomplished!

51 Suppose ye that I am come to give peace on earth? I tell you, Nay; but rather division:

52 For from henceforth there shall be five in one house divided, three against two, and two against three.

53 The father shall be divided against the son, and the son against the father; the mother against the daughter, and the daughter against the mother; the mother in law against her daughter in law, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.
Luke 12:49-53

Old 05-30-2012, 11:55 AM

4,428 posts, read 4,480,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
What a bad thing.......
Quote:
#10 - A congregation working towards ECONOMIC PARITY.

It means wealth redistribution.

Old 05-30-2012, 11:56 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,297,960 times
Quote:
Bradley's character (in your eyes) is irrelevant.

The point is that Black Liberation Theology is not Christianity.

It is a man made distortion of Christianity and teaches a false path to salvation.

The only way you can be saved according to this theology, if you are the oppressor, is to give back what you took through reparations. Step down from that job you "took" from someone else. Give back that money you "took" from someone else.

Another perversion is the concept of collective salvation. You’ve heard Barack Obama say that his "individual salvation depends on collective salvation." What does that mean?

According to liberation theology, it means that salvation and redemption bought by Jesus comes in the form of political and social "liberation" for minorities from white oppression. Salvation is realized with minorities achieving economic and political parity, via redistribution of wealth with whites. Minorities are "saved" in the sense that white people constantly confess and repent of being racists and meet the economic demands of minorities, via redistribution as a consequence of some form of reparations.

Does that sound like Christianity to you?

And just because this came from Beck's (who Liberals hate) website doesn't mean that this isn't what Black Liberation Theology is all about. So no need to shoot the messenger and dismiss the facts.

Glenn Beck: Liberation Theology and Social Justice – Glenn Beck
You could probably fit all the people that actually believe Black Liberation Theology in a phone booth and still have rum for the USC, Ohio State, and University of Texas marching bands.

In other words that there are probably more ignorant terrified White people that even think about Black Liberation Theology than Black people that actually believe it.

Old 05-30-2012, 12:03 PM

45,542 posts, read 27,152,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Jesus the "Uniter."

49 I am come to send fire on the earth; and what will I, if it be already kindled?

50 But I have a baptism to be baptized with; and how am I straitened till it be accomplished!

51 Suppose ye that I am come to give peace on earth? I tell you, Nay; but rather division:

52 For from henceforth there shall be five in one house divided, three against two, and two against three.

53 The father shall be divided against the son, and the son against the father; the mother against the daughter, and the daughter against the mother; the mother in law against her daughter in law, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.
Luke 12:49-53
So what does all that mean?

Old 05-30-2012, 12:11 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,842,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I think there is a reason that the color of Jesus' skin was never mentioned - because it isn't important in the goal of the Father in heaven. His goal for Christ ws death, burial, and resurrection. His goal is about adding souls to the kingdom of God in heaven - that will in a future time inhabit a renovated earth.

Skin color doesn't matter in the whole scheme of the Father's plans.

Now if you want to do some tracing, many in the genealogy are in the Bible.

The division of the nations is highlighted in Genesis 10 after the flood. Everyone started from Adam - everyone also goes through Noah, and separates out through his three sons. Japeth went the European route. Ham went the African route. Shem stayed in the middle east.

You got Abraham, Isaac, Jacob (Israel), Judah, David - in fact everyone up to the deportation of Israel should be in the Old Testament.

No one's skin color is mentioned. Did they have some color, probably. The pigmentations coming from Noah's kids probably produced a wide spectrum of people as the populaton grew. Maybe those who were of the same color started hanging out with each other, which consolidated the racial coloring.

Again - in God's scheme, I don't believe skin color is a large issue. He is more interested in the condition of our hearts and souls. In the end, the flesh returns to the dust - our souls will last beyond this earth.
As you have noted the skin color is not mentioned therefore no one knows what genetic influences were present. I imagine it was someone mixed. Therefore for any individual you can not be certain of their skin color.

My relationship to Jesus doesn't change based on his skin color.

But I have heard the testimonies of people to whom is does matter, because they have lived in a world where their humanity or lack there of was judged based on the darkness of their skin. This still occurs in America and also occurs elsewhere in the world. I've heard recent testimony of people who were told by ministers in Brazil that because they were black they can not go to heaven. For people who have lived through discrimination based on the color of their skin the concept that Jesus might look like them can be truly powerful and transformational.

Old 05-30-2012, 12:19 PM

Quote:
How do you figure that Trinity UCC is 94% white?
I did not write that Trinity UCC is 94% white. I wrote that Trinity UCC belongs to a denomination that is 94% white. The UCC stands for United Church of Christ, whose roots in this country go back to the Puritans and Pilgrims. Trinity was and perhaps still is the largest congregation within the denomination. Membership by a congregation is totally voluntary as is any support for the denomination either financially or otherwise.

Trinity UCC has been a huge supporter of the denomination, with their time, energy and their money. The operation of the UCC's national organization is dependent on donations from its member churches. Trinity is normally one of if not the largest donator to the denomination.

Old 05-30-2012, 12:26 PM

Quote:
I have read it before. I know the context. It's not America's fault so many Blacks are in prison.

I suppose criminals should just be allowed to roam the streets.
When a America declares a War on Drugs and then fights that war in primarily Black and Brown communities even though those communities have no higher drug usage than other communities then America is responsible for incarcerating large percentages of Blacks. If the War on Drugs was targeting all user communities equally its methodologies would have been altered a long time ago.

Old 05-30-2012, 12:26 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,958,313 times
Quote:
It means wealth redistribution.
To the ignorant it does, to the sane it means furthering one's educational credentials opening businesses, becoming entrepreneurs, saving ,investing, learning about credit, etc.

You make sane people's head hurt, please stop.

Old 05-30-2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
To the ignorant it does, to the sane it means furthering one's educational credentials opening businesses, becoming entrepreneurs, saving ,investing, learning about credit, etc.

You make sane people's head hurt, please stop.
And then after doing all that turning around and helping others to achieve the same thing. God forbid that those with resources and opportunities should help those with less. How unchristian!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies