Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 05:24 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,591,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
Are you saying that in your small rural area that people shoot each other in self defense a couple times a Year?

That sounds really odd, considering that violent crime rates are now at the same level they were in 1963!! 1963 was a LONG time ago. It's pretty impressive that violent crime rates in this country have fallen to the level of crime rates in 1963.

I think there is an illusion by many in this country that violent killers are out there lurking behind every bush.
well said.
what I have noticed is the far right likes to incite fear and violence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 05:26 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,406,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
You're aware of this case, I would imagine: //www.city-data.com/forum/polit...o-charges.html
No, I wasn't. Are there any others? Or is this the only one?

Old 05-30-2012, 05:47 PM

"The statute can be used and distorted by hard-core criminals or someone who has committed a crime," she says. "Most times, someone will get arrested if the other person does not die. … It's ironic. If someone dies, the other person is less likely to get arrested."
~~ from article

This is truly, truly a defective statute.

Old 05-30-2012, 05:59 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Thanks also for your input. I am curious, to what extent have you been on the receiving end of suspicion or hostility due to being black? And does how you're dressed or acting seem to have much of a bearing? Honestly, I'm asking because I've lived in pretty un-diverse areas and don't know just how common these actions are. I look at a big azz white guy wearing a Harley tee shirt, tats, leather and chains alot differently than the same guy in a polo shirt and dress slacks. I'm wondering to what extent dressing and acting "gangsta" relates to how a black wearing professional cloths is perceived.

Anyway, back to the gun side...I noticed you're from Kennesaw, GA. Isn't that the city where firearms ownership is mandatory for those legally able to own one? What's the crime rate and "culture" like? Is there a fear of other law abiding people with guns, or are they just considered an inanimate object?
The extent of being on the receiving end of hostility has varied on where I lived. When I lived in Paulding County(directly west of Cobb County) during high school, a few high school students would threaten to "hang me by the end of their noose". I have been back a few times to visit my parents. There have been a few times where some people would drive by and scream the "n" word at me.

How one dresses can affect perception. Sometimes even the way one dresses doesn't matter. Sometimes it is just plain fear.

Currently, I'm living in Kennesaw, and mainly because of Kennesaw State University. Whatever racial hostility I have seen, it has been more passive-aggressive and subtle. I remember some of the event that have happened. I don't know how much of it was due to race, but it does make me wonder. For instance, my first week at Kennesaw State, I was inquiring about a job. The woman at the desk basically said no. I was a bit annoyed, so I sighed, rolled my eyes and walked away, saying nothing more, no yelling, no anything.. I wasn't dressed like a thug or anything like that. I just had on casual clothes(which is very rare because I usually dress business casual). And at the time, I weighed no more than about 130 pounds. The police were called about a "public disturbance". The police found out what actually happened and let it go. Another night I was riding my bicycle across campus. I am borderline insomniac, so I find myself out at night sometimes. The police were called again, and then finding out I hadn't broken any laws, but rather I was just out for the sake of it. It might have been on an unpopulated part of campus, but I had to wonder. I figured, if other people can go out at night, I can too and there would be no issue with it.

As for the gun law, well, it can't be enforced. No one can make you own a gun. It is mainly a "rubber stamp" law. It was passed in response to a town in Illinois that banned guns.

The crime rate in Kennesaw has been very low, but it is on the rise. It depends on where you are. In my apartment complex, alot of students, as well as families live there. Not much crime, but most of the the crimes that do occur are either domestic issues or someone who had marijuana and got caught. Some people below me got in a fight. That is about the only violence I've heard of there while living there. There isn't much fear of law-abiding citizens carrying guns. I think alot of people just don't think about it.

The culture in Kennesaw varies a bit. There is the university. Then there is a suburbia culture, which is the dominant culture. Kennesaw city limits is different from KSU, and from the subdivisions. Kennesaw city is "small southern town" in culture. The university is a 180 from that. And then you have the dominant suburbia culture that dominates.

Old 05-30-2012, 06:02 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Agreed. It's much safer to live in a city like New York where only criminals posses weapons. Those law-abiding types who passed an extensive background check and qualified at the range are far more dangerous.
You fell for the gun lobby's marketing line: "If gun ownership is illegal, only criminals will have guns." Notice that handguns are illegal in Europe, but there are no criminal crime sprees involving guns.

Regarding what ethnic groups commits more violent crime, our perception of that seems to depend on the type of crime. I've never heard of a Black father shooting all his kids and then himself. But that type of crime does come up from time to time in the White community. I've also never heard of Black mothers drowning all their kids in a bathtub and then calling the police. I suspect a higher percentage of White men murder their wives than Black men, often because they think they can get away with it, they play the fine, upstanding citizen game, sponsor of the local Little League team, donor to charity, etc. etc.

But maybe this is getting off-topic.

Old 05-30-2012, 06:43 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Why do you wish that? Why not just leave us the hell alone? If we want to buy a gun, we'll buy one. If not, we won't. There has to be more to life than worrying about what blacks do or don't speak out against. Damn.

I have a gun and I feel NO obligation to speak out about the issue. Especially not at the behest of non-blacks.
i had to rep you for this post. as long as a person is a law abiding citizen, and has not been adjudicated mentally incompetent, there is no reason to prevent them from owning or carrying a firearm legally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
It is too bad that you are offended. I didn't say that all whites see all blacks as criminals, but even you should admit that people do perceive black men especially to be more criminally minded than men of other ethnicities. You should really pay attention to all the "black" threads on here going on and on about black single moms being the reason why our country's morals are in the crapper and about how we get money because we are black and about how we don't value education and about how our "culture" is violent. I have many things to take offense too on these boards and never once have I taken any offense to them. People can have their opinions. I know what I think and what I do and what my culture is. You know you don't stereotyped, don't take offense.
the reason i took offense if because you painted people with a very broad brush. you didnt modify your statement with many people, or some people. had you done that i would not have taken offense at all as i realize that there are many people in this country that judge based on skin color.

Old 05-30-2012, 06:50 PM

I would expect that self defense rights and firearms ownership would be valued or practiced among law abiding blacks in a similar percentage to law abiding whites. Is that a reasonable assumption? It seems like a high percentage of blacks on this board are opposed to defensive firearms ownership, which suprises me. I think law abiding people have a right and a responsibity to be able to defend themselves and those they care about
~~~ Op's post

I have a problem with "defensive firearm ownersip". But I am white so, forgive me if its not 100% on topic.

It is common sense that NOT everyone should have a firearm. Some people have mental issues. "Crimes of passion" can also occur. i.e. Spouses arguing, neighbors etc.

If someone wants to hunt or have a gun at home thats fine. But if they start patrolling the streets,or carrying a gun everywere they go, I have a DEFINITE problem with that, and I dont think its a white or black or Hispanic issue. Its a safety issue.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:07 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,692,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
I would expect that self defense rights and firearms ownership would be valued or practiced among law abiding blacks in a similar percentage to law abiding whites. Is that a reasonable assumption? It seems like a high percentage of blacks on this board are opposed to defensive firearms ownership, which suprises me. I think law abiding people have a right and a responsibity to be able to defend themselves and those they care about
~~~ Op's post

I have a problem with "defensive firearm ownersip". But I am white so, forgive me if its not 100% on topic.

It is common sense that NOT everyone should have a firearm. Some people have mental issues. "Crimes of passion" can also occur. i.e. Spouses arguing, neighbors etc.

If someone wants to hunt or have a gun at home thats fine. But if they start patrolling the streets,or carrying a gun everywere they go, I have a DEFINITE problem with that, and I dont think its a white or black or Hispanic issue. Its a safety issue.
How exactly is legal gun ownership and CC a safety issue. Factually.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:13 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,527,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Because I haven't noticed any Hispanic or NA posters commenting about the issue.

No offense, but you really did miss the point of my question (twice)

And for what its worth, the opinions expressed on C-D are NOT representative of the beliefs of any given person in general.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:20 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
How exactly is legal gun ownership and CC a safety issue. Factually.
Re-read her post, she explained it.

What about the last shooting at Virginia Tech, where a guy shot a cop? And Virginia thinks the solution to the problem is to allow everyone on campus to carry guns? What?!

What if someone's carrying a concealed weapon while they're at a bar, and they get in an argument? What if more people like Zimmerman with a history of violence get guns and decide to play vigilante? People with a history of mental illness can easily get guns, even though the law prohibits them from doing so. What if everyone who posted here to get your guns to fight Obama's race war actually organized and whipped each other into a frenzy and went out and did something stupid? Based on the level of intelligence shown in posts on this forum, this is not an unreasonable scenario to expect.

Now they're marketing guns to women. What if women with abusive partners decide to shoot their partners and claim self defense, rather than take the time and trouble to get restraining orders, and move out?

How would you guarantee that the kids of all those gun owners wouldn't get hold of the guns and accidentally shoot their friends, as has happened more than once in the past? What if a serial rapist decides a gun would be a handy thing to have to get what he wants?

No safety issues here, oh no, no safety issues at all.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 05-30-2012 at 07:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies