Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 01:38 PM

19,833 posts, read 12,086,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
They already are. White women tend to cross the street if they're walking and a Black man is strolling their way. Or they suddenly speed up their pace if they encounter a group of black guys just standing around talking. You should see how Seattle transit drivers react to Black male passengers! They tend to do a silent freak-out, you can see them tense up, and sometimes they get hostile with the passenger, if the passenger asks them a question. I can't imagine going through life like that, having people react to me like that all the time.
Sounds more like a Seattle issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2012, 05:18 PM

716 posts, read 558,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I REALLY hate to start a thread based on a racial question, but please hear me out. Like many things, our opinions on many topics are based on our own experiences. I live in an area with a large percentage of legal firearms owners, and with a high percentage of concealled carry permit owners. (currently Idaho but rural New York was pretty comparable). No one that has a CCW permit is looking to use it. Much like no one that uses seat belts in their car is looking to use them. Or owns a fire extinguisher. The firearm is a tool. And like most tools, the feeling is, "better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it". As such, no one thinks much about someone owning a firearm or has any innate fear about lawful concealled carry permit owners. My area has a fairly low crime rate (especially by urban standards), but still, defensive firearms use does happen a few times a year. My most recent CCW class was a bit of an eye-opener.

Most of my life has been in rural and smaller urban areas, with a large percentage of whites. I'm curious, among blacks, what the feelings are concerning lawful firearms ownership, concealled carry among law abiding members of the community, and especially things like the Castle Doctrine (where you are shielded from prosecution and civil suits in many circumstances when someone is shot while inside your home) or Stand Your Ground. In principle, SYG prevents someone that uses a firearm for self defense in a place they have a lawful right to be from being prosecuted. For example, if someone trys to rob you at knifepoint, or car-jack you, you are allowed to use deadly force. Granted, some SYG laws may go further and be poorly worded.

I would expect that self defense rights and firearms ownership would be valued or practiced among law abiding blacks in a similar percentage to law abiding whites. Is that a reasonable assumption? It seems like a high percentage of blacks on this board are opposed to defensive firearms ownership, which suprises me. I think law abiding people have a right and a responsibity to be able to defend themselves and those they care about.

Please, try to keep this from turning into another race bashing thread, it is not intended to be one. And lets forget the criminal element, we're not talking about criminal blacks or whites here.
I'm white and have held a valid LTCH since the day I was old enough for decades. Hell yes I think you should legally own and carry one if you are eligible. I have black friends who shoot with me "us" all the time. You have the right to protect yourself. I strongly suggest you learn all you can and buy the best weapons you can afford though. All the guys I know do and know how to shoot, and do it SAFELY! Two hundred rounds a week worth out of something. They shine above the dumb redneck or ghetto black everytime!! You're an idiot and you're not going to take me alive!

Old 06-03-2012, 06:14 PM

72,979 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Happens all over this nation. Not just a Seattle problem. It angers me, but there is nothing I can do.

Old 06-03-2012, 06:17 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,104,854 times
I'm white, but I feel every person living in America who is a legal citizen is entitled to own a firearm if he has not been convicted of any felonies. I don't care whether he is black, white, or red, if he is an American he has a God given right to be a free man. Free men can own firearms, as many as they can afford to buy. Period.

Old 06-03-2012, 07:02 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
The bus issue is, the rest of it is nation-wide. Did you read and comprehend the post? Doesn't sound like it.

Old 06-03-2012, 07:04 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
I'm white, but I feel every person living in America who is a legal citizen is entitled to own a firearm if he has not been convicted of any felonies. I don't care whether he is black, white, or red, if he is an American he has a God given right to be a free man. Free men can own firearms, as many as they can afford to buy. Period.
So... that would make nearly everyone else in the developed world what, not free? They're a lot more free from worry about violent crime than Americans are. Interesting definition of freedom you have. I wonder if our Canadian, Australian and European members would agree with it.

Old 06-03-2012, 07:17 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,879,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
So... that would make nearly everyone else in the developed world what, not free?
Yes.

Old 06-03-2012, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Yes.
You're not free to buy as you please provided you are clean and old enough. You're not free to take someones life to save your own or someone elses. You're not free to walk down the street armed and free from fear. You are free to die a slow horrible death waiting on Police if they feel like showing up in time though. When seconds count, the Police are 20 minutes away. They are NOT your private security force and hold no obligation to protect you in a private fashion. They'll be glad to TRY to catch who done what, when, why... AFTER you're already dead though. You're not free at all! Rep+1

Old 06-03-2012, 08:00 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,879,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBandit View Post
You're not free to buy as you please provided you are clean and old enough. You're not free to take someones life to save your own or someone elses. You're not free to walk down the street armed and free from fear. You are free to die a slow horrible death waiting on Police if they feel like showing up in time though. When seconds count, the Police are 20 minutes away. They are NOT your private security force and hold no obligation to protect you in a private fashion. They'll be glad to TRY to catch who done what, when, why... AFTER you're already dead though. You're not free at all! Rep+1
When seconds count the police are only minutes away.

Old 06-03-2012, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBandit View Post

I like this verson much better!

Eastwood's Greatest Hits - Dirty Harry - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies