Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2012, 01:27 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,098,421 times

Advertisements

He said "my people" and he's "angry"... My conservative mind is a little confused.

Mike Bost, Illinois Lawmaker, Erupts Into Tirade During State Pension Debate (VIDEO)

Representative Rants: Read the Bill - YouTube
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 01:58 PM

So I guess this is what happens when some Republicans don’t get their way…

Quote:
A Republican Illinois state lawmaker on Tuesday screamed and threw papers into the air while decrying the state's Democrat-led pension reform bill that could be en route to passage thanks to the support of powerful House Speaker Michael Madigan.

"Total power in one person's hand -- not the American way!" screamed state Rep. Mike Bost (R-Murphysboro) before throwing a stack of papers into the air.

Old 05-30-2012, 02:09 PM

10,876 posts, read 13,754,456 times
Someone needs to give that guy his pacifier

Old 05-30-2012, 02:09 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,550,772 times
He should BEHAVE himself.

Old 05-30-2012, 02:18 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,115,437 times
This is what happens when liberals make their own rules for their own personal aggrandizement. No wonder Illinois is in fiscal mess third behind NY and CA.

Old 05-30-2012, 02:22 PM

4,428 posts, read 4,463,952 times
Mike Bost, Illinois Lawmaker, Erupts Into Tirade During State Pension Debate (VIDEO)

"His tirade came on the heels of a new pension reform proposal -- Senate Bill 1673 -- being approved by a state pension committee and heading to the House floor for discussion within a matter of hours -- before lawmakers could even read it, Bost argued, according to WSIL."

Yeah - they get a 260 page pension-reform bill shoved at them by the Democrats at the last minute and are supposed to be able to have enough time to make a good decision for their constituents. Same as Obamacare. Which nobody read.

Illinois is screwed because of public unions. Go figure.

Old 05-30-2012, 05:10 PM

5,767 posts, read 4,993,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post

"His tirade came on the heels of a new pension reform proposal -- Senate Bill 1673 -- being approved by a state pension committee and heading to the House floor for discussion within a matter of hours -- before lawmakers could even read it, Bost argued, according to WSIL."

Yeah - they get a 260 page pension-reform bill shoved at them by the Democrats at the last minute and are supposed to be able to have enough time to make a good decision for their constituents. Same as Obamacare. Which nobody read.

Illinois is screwed because of public unions. Go figure.
This isn't about unions, it's about business as usual in Illinois: The poorest counties downstate pay a disproportionate amount of taxes, the money then going to northern districts. Bost represents Southern Illinois, and people here are suffering. In this county, the median income is $34,381 while it's $55,735 for the rest of the state. The percentage of those living below the poverty level is 19.8%, compared to the state average of 12.6%. People aged 65 and older are 18.4% of the population, as opposed to 12.5% statewide. The high school here is 92 years-old, and we have no hospital. Bost's references to "Let my people go" is an allusion to the name given to this area, the lower 1/3 of the state: Little Egypt. I do not approve of Bost's tirade, nor can I think of any legislation that has been enacted under his aegis that has been beneficial to this area. However, the impetus behind his outburst bears some clarification. Anyone who bothers to read the link will find that S.I. is very different from northern Illinois, and will also learn why the area is called Little Egypt: Chicago has not been as generous with us as we were to it. The issue of how downstate schools will continue to suffer is in mentioned in the article which accompanies the OP's video.

Southern Illinois - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-30-2012, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
This isn't about unions, it's about business as usual in Illinois: The poorest counties downstate pay a disproportionate amount of taxes, the money then going to northern districts. Bost represents Southern Illinois, and people here are suffering. In this county, the median income is $34,381 while it's $55,735 for the rest of the state. The percentage of those living below the poverty level is 19.8%, compared to the state average of 12.6%. People aged 65 and older are 18.4% of the population, as opposed to 12.5% statewide. The high school here is 92 years-old, and we have no hospital. Bost's references to "Let my people go" is an allusion to the name given to this area, the lower 1/3 of the state: Little Egypt. I do not approve of Bost's tirade, nor can I think of any legislation that has been enacted under his aegis that has been beneficial to this area. However, the impetus behind his outburst bears some clarification. Anyone who bothers to read the link will find that S.I. is very different from northern Illinois, and will also learn why the area is called Little Egypt: Chicago has not been as generous with us as we were to it. The issue of how downstate schools will continue to suffer is in mentioned in the article which accompanies the OP's video.

Southern Illinois - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
He might have some legitimate grips but his behavior was clearly barbaric. That’s something a two year would do if they didn’t get their way…

Old 05-30-2012, 07:06 PM

1,196 posts, read 833,772 times
Default Republican, unloaded on Democrats over bill

Representative Mike Bost has finally had enough of politics as usual in the State of Illinois and wants to know why they don't READ THE BILL.

In the Democrat led House Democrat Speaker Mike Madigan tries setting votes on pension reform bills without providing enough time for lawmakers to read the bill after it come out of committee.Illinois State Rep. Goes Berserk in Epic Rant - ABC News

Where have we heard Democrats use this tactic to screw the voters before.
Hmmmm could it be obama care?

Old 05-30-2012, 07:17 PM

5,376 posts, read 5,323,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogstooth View Post
Representative Mike Bost has finally had enough of politics as usual in the State of Illinois and wants to know why they don't READ THE BILL.

In the Democrat led House Democrat Speaker Mike Madigan tries setting votes on pension reform bills without providing enough time for lawmakers to read the bill after it come out of committee.Illinois State Rep. Goes Berserk in Epic Rant - ABC News

Where have we heard Democrats use this tactic to screw the voters before.
Hmmmm could it be obama care?

Still taking Pelosi's quote out of context?

I will refresh your limited memory.

"But we [meaning the legislators] have to pass the bill so you [the citizens] can find out what is in it, away from the fog of controversy [the half truths and complete lies about the insurance company managed & controlled, health insurance bill].”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies