Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 09:13 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,806,900 times

Advertisements

This forum needs a "two thumbs up" category.
Know UR Ledge: Attractive and Real Women of the Military
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 11:30 PM

18,837 posts, read 37,281,021 times
Letting a hungry baby scream would be much more appropriate, than doing something women's bodies were made for....feeding a baby. Should not matter what a woman is wearing....feed the baby.

Old 05-31-2012, 12:19 AM

1,125 posts, read 1,587,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
A woman should change out of her uniform before feeding her child? What is wrong with some people in this country? There's nothing wrong with breastfeeding, in public or private. Breasts are for feeding children. Everything else associated with them is secondary.

"People are comparing breastfeeding in uniform to urinating and defecating in uniform. They're comparing it to the woman who posed in "Playboy" in uniform [in 2007]" Scott told Yahoo! Shine in an interview. "We never expected it to be like this." "I'm an X-ray tech and I breastfeed in my uniform all the time," Scott says. "Granted they're scrubs. But people do it all the time in their uniforms. If you have a hungry baby, why would you take the time to change completely?"

Military Moms Breastfeeding in Uniform Stir Controversy | Parenting - Yahoo! Shine
I am all for breast feeding a child, it is after all the way God wanted things to work to begin with. But that being said, I am against a women in uniform PUBLICLY breast feeding their child. Not because she is breast feeding in public (kinda against it, but that is a personal thing) but because she is out of uniform while she is doing it. The military uniform is part of the professional image that the United States military projects to our nation and to the world. That image is needed to show the professionalism of our armed forces and to show that the members of military are ready to do their duty at any time and any place. The image of two soldiers breast feeding their children shows that they are not ready to do their duty (yes yes, I understand that they aren't in a combat zone).

So I believe that yes a military woman (which my wife was for 21 years) should be allowed to breast feed their children, just do it in private if you are wearing your uniform. (which my wife did for both of our children)

Old 05-31-2012, 12:39 AM

4,486 posts, read 5,213,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymberwulf View Post
I am all for breast feeding a child, it is after all the way God wanted things to work to begin with. But that being said, I am against a women in uniform PUBLICLY breast feeding their child. Not because she is breast feeding in public (kinda against it, but that is a personal thing) but because she is out of uniform while she is doing it. The military uniform is part of the professional image that the United States military projects to our nation and to the world. That image is needed to show the professionalism of our armed forces and to show that the members of military are ready to do their duty at any time and any place. The image of two soldiers breast feeding their children shows that they are not ready to do their duty (yes yes, I understand that they aren't in a combat zone).

So I believe that yes a military woman (which my wife was for 21 years) should be allowed to breast feed their children, just do it in private if you are wearing your uniform. (which my wife did for both of our children)
I think the core issue isn't so much discretion as it is the fact that they are nursing while in uniform.

Most nursing mothers are discrete. I breastfed all 5 of mine and I did it in public places but with a strategically placed blanket. Never had a problem.

Some people just need to get over their boob obsession.

Old 05-31-2012, 01:58 AM

147 posts, read 144,582 times
I'm for breastfeeding, 100%. Even in public when discreet.

But mothers of infants don't belong in uniform in the first place. That's what makes the picture so incongruous and bizarre.

The uniform is supposed to assure everyone that this female soldier is just like a man. But she isn't. She's a vulnerable mother with a still-more-vulnerable infant. Breastfeeding exposes that vulnerability, which is not exactly the image we want our military to project.

Last edited by Charles45; 05-31-2012 at 02:54 AM..

Old 05-31-2012, 02:05 AM

37,097 posts, read 42,098,467 times
People DO deficate and urinate while in uniform...they pull down their uniform pants just like everyone else. Some leave skidmarks...like everyone else. Some have accidents in their pants, like everyone else. Some mensturate ::gasp:: and stain like everyone else. The women unbutton or lift their uniform shirts to breastfeed just like everyone else. There is NOTHING WRONG with doing it while in uniform and why the HELL would anyone think otherwise? Explain yourselves. And explain how/why/when they should change their clothing so YOU feel better about YOUR rediculous ideas.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:17 AM

23,410 posts, read 36,915,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles45 View Post

But mothers of infants don't belong in uniform in the first place. That's what makes the picture so incongruous and bizarre.

The uniform is supposed to assure everyone that this female soldier is just like a man. But she isn't. She's a vulnerable mother with a still-more-vulnerable infant. Breastfeeding exposes that vulnerability, which is not exactly the image we want our military to project.
The '50s just called, they want their chauvinistic attitude back.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:18 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,786,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelaBeurman View Post
I think the core issue isn't so much discretion as it is the fact that they are nursing while in uniform.

Most nursing mothers are discrete. I breastfed all 5 of mine and I did it in public places but with a strategically placed blanket. Never had a problem.

Some people just need to get over their boob obsession.
I agree.

I nursed two kids and did so in public all the time and didn't use a blanket - who wants to have their face covered while eating (my kids didn't). Even though I didn't use a blanket you couldn't see my boob, my shirt would cover it and the baby would even cover my midriff (even though I don't see how this would be offensive to anyone with all the bare mid driff shirts and bikinis going around the street). Most breast feeding moms don't go around waving breast all over the place like a stripper. It is a quick movement to feed a baby and that is what breast are for.

Some people do really just need to get over it. You should be happy more women are breastfeeding, it is shown to decrease the risk of obesity in children so more of those breast fed kids will be able to wear the military uniform.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:41 AM

4,486 posts, read 5,213,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles45 View Post

By your own admission, you never served in the military and I seriously doubt you're a nursing mother. Not to mention that your ideas of what women should be "allowed" to do come from a time before I was born.

So, what's your point?

Should a woman have to give up a career that's she's worked hard for? No!

Should a woman's ONLY career choice be hearth and home? No

I get where you're coming from, you feel threatened. I just fail to see why.

Come visit us in this century, you might like it, and we have cookies!

Old 05-31-2012, 10:24 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,446,962 times
Uh-oh...I can feel it coming...a Don't Milk, Don't Tell (DMDT) policy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies