Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 01:58 AM

19,025 posts, read 14,205,095 times

Advertisements

Someday, we may see sheeple strip off their woolies, and stand up on two legs. Until then, let the shearing continue...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 02:09 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Who is going to benefit other than the obese that just might lose a few pounds off of their fat asses? Suffering? How? Pay a fortune for serving soda in smaller cups? Sorry...don't see the tragedy here.
It's not a tragedy, it's pointless exercise that's going to cost busniesses money becasue every change they make does. You can't be that ignorant to believe otherwise.

I have no love for SUPERSIZE anything but I'm not so full of myself that I'm going to tell the convenience store down the street (and thousands of other businesses) that they have to change what they do (and what they do they do for a reason) becasue my neighbor is fat. It's not going to make my neighbor any thinner and causing undo busywork for the business owners, at their expense.

Old 05-31-2012, 04:54 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Default Nanny Bloomberg Is At It Again

Seriously, I must ask this question of New York City people - Did you vote for your grandmother or the mayor of your city when you elected this guy? I thought you guys were supposed to be intelligent people. Why don't you even blink when this man's administration goes all grandma on you and tries to regulate and control your personal behavior? Are you going to wait until he tells you how many times a month you can have sex, to lessen your chances of getting some sexually transmitted disease, before you blink?

You know, right now he hasn't come for any of your vices so its fine by you that you let elected officials control your personal behavior. I don't get why supposedly smart people rationalize giving up their personal freedoms, so easily?

It's not JUST this. It's all things like this.

"New York City plans to enact a far-reaching ban on the sale of large sodas and other sugary drinks at restaurants, movie theaters and street carts, in the most ambitious effort yet by the Bloomberg administration to combat rising obesity. The proposed ban would affect virtually the entire menu of popular sugary drinks found in delis, fast-food franchises and even sports arenas, from energy drinks to pre-sweetened iced teas. The sale of any cup or bottle of sweetened drink larger than 16 fluid ounces — about the size of a medium coffee, and smaller than a common soda bottle — would be prohibited under the first-in-the-nation plan, which could take effect as soon as next March."

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/31/ny...inks.html?_r=1

Old 05-31-2012, 06:07 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
Wouldn't this be anti-environment? Now you have people buying two medium sodas instead of one large, and throwing away two cups instead of one. Back to square one, Bloomberg.

Old 05-31-2012, 06:28 AM

3,478 posts, read 7,255,485 times
Quote:
Much ado about nothing. If you bothered to read the entire article, it is really just a deterrent that might actually help people to pay more attention to how these super sized drinks are affecting health and the ever increasing obesity problem....which, as we all know, winds up costing the taxpayer.
I had no issue with NYC made it mandatory for caloric counts to be put on menus. That gives consumers an informed choice. However, restricting what one can eat (or drink) is a whole other level. Maybe NYC should ban hamburgers greater than 6 oz, or entrees with a total of 2000 calories or more. How about regulating that all meals must included one vegetable (maybe pizza?) like they do for school menus? Would those be worthy regulations to put into place?

The argument of having taxpayers pay for others' personal choices is an interesting one that is often used to necessitate further government regulation. While I agree that government has the right to regulate activities that infringe on others' rights, we have to ask ourselves - where does it end? Couldn't we justify that for almost any activity? And more importantly - is government regulation the only answer to stop this?

Even at my young age, I have realized that the best way to curb unwanted personal habits is not to control them or tell them you cannot 'do that' through regulation. Instead, education is the key. The reason the 'supersize' at McDs went away wasn't because government said so. It was because, thanks to a provocative documentary, consumers willed it away. Less smokers today (~21% compared to ~45% in the 1940s) is not because of high taxes/price - it is because people today realize and understand what smoking does to your body and overall health.

Old 05-31-2012, 06:31 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,530,289 times
Hey! When they started in on smokers and most of y'all supported that, we tried to warn you this is where it would lead. But, nobody wanted to listen because, after all, it was just about those nasty smokers and their disgusting habit.

Now that's about you nasty fatties and YOUR lack of self-control, it's a whole 'nuther issue, ain't it?

All I can say is...learn to love it because it WILL get worse.

Old 05-31-2012, 06:34 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,111,393 times
Then buy two medium sodas.

Old 05-31-2012, 06:55 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Quote:
Who is going to benefit other than the obese that just might lose a few pounds off of their fat asses? Suffering? How? Pay a fortune for serving soda in smaller cups? Sorry...don't see the tragedy here.

Yeah yeah we get it... it's for your own good, right? Look, at this point, I rarely drink soda (we call it pop here) but if I want to do so, then I don't need some politician trying to play my parent and tell me what is good for me!

Old 05-31-2012, 07:04 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
Well, at least Health Nazi Mika Brzezinski on Morning Joe loves it.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:11 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Hey! When they started in on smokers and most of y'all supported that, we tried to warn you this is where it would lead. But, nobody wanted to listen because, after all, it was just about those nasty smokers and their disgusting habit.

Now that's about you nasty fatties and YOUR lack of self-control, it's a whole 'nuther issue, ain't it?

All I can say is...learn to love it because it WILL get worse.

Yep! And considering obesity kills more people in this country than cigarettes.....

Nevertheless, it should not be up to the government to tell people what they can and cannot consume.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies