Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2012, 08:27 AM

38,644 posts, read 26,371,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninAmok View Post
You haven't seen the video of the Muslim fast food worker going nuts when he was asked for bacon , have you?

Hate break up the left-wing circle jerk, but it seems this is all "according to the mother".

Since special nurses handle rape victims in OK, isn't it entirely possible the hospital staff were simply following OK law with respect to the treatment of rape victims?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2012, 08:29 AM

1,440 posts, read 1,169,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Take your own advice, please.

BTW, as if I'd know your gender?
Perhaps some day you'll be raped (the gift that keeps on giving) and you'll be lucky enough to get a doctor who behaves thus.
Isn't a big deal, is it?
Nice offensive post there. Lucky I'm not a liberal or my feelings might be hurt.

Hm, nope, not a bipartisan hack like you. There are idiot republicans and democrats, and then some smart ones.

The girl got what she wanted from a doctor, the DOCTOR SITUATION is not a big deal here, which you keep referring to. Not, you know, catching the one who raped her.

Old 06-03-2012, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Primary rule of medicine; First, do no harm.
Odd that you would bring up the Hippocratic Oath...

"I will follow that system of regimen which, according to my ability and judgment, I consider for the benefit of my patients, and abstain from whatever is deleterious and mischievous. I will give no deadly medicine to any one if asked, nor suggest any such counsel; and in like manner I will not give to a woman a pessary to produce abortion."

Hippocrates

Old 06-03-2012, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
You do realize they call it the "morning after pill" for a reason, right?
By the time the victim does as you suggest, its too damn late.

Am I the only person who read the story?

This must be the case since no one is mentioning the specially trained SANE nurses all rape victims in OK are to see.

Old 06-03-2012, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
Actually I care about the victim, the people who were supposed to be caring for her didn't and used religion as the excuse. Your anger would be better suited if focused against those people who feel this type of act is legitimate not me.

Actually, the person who was supposed to be caring for her was a Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner.

Thanks for informing yourself before posting!

Old 06-03-2012, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
I don't see the Dr. racing out to claim that the accusations are false. I know I would if someone made such a damning claim.

I would expect that the hospital will make any official statements on the matter.

Old 06-03-2012, 09:08 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,440,811 times
If your going to become a Dr. or a Nurse even, your personal and religious beliefs should not come into play of helping those very people you took that oath for.

And if you know you have certain beliefs, you should not even go into the medical field at all.

Being a rape victim, she should have been treated much differently and with kid gloves.

In this case the patients welfare and well-being did not seem to manner, that should be first priority.

Instead this Dr. put their beliefs before the welfare of the patient. Not the way it ought to be.

Old 06-03-2012, 09:08 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,147,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/ovc/publica.../saneguide.pdf

Why do you want these victims to possibly be re-victimized by inadequate examinations and treatments? If you disagree with the program that these peer reviewed group of professionals have come up with then present your expertise to them and your more comprehensive plan and let your fellow doctors and nurses peer review it and give you a thumbs up or a thumb in the eye.
???? What you posted had NOTHING to do with denying care to patients....nothing...

Those programs, BTW, are VOLUNTARY...the victim does NOT have to use them.

Old 06-03-2012, 09:15 AM

2,677 posts, read 2,616,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
The 1st Amendment protects religious freedom. There is nowhere in the Constitution a requirement that the permanently stupid be coddled.
Religious freedom is secondary to performing your duty. As a healthcare professional, your first duty it to your patient, and should a conflict exist between the needs of your patient and your religious beliefs, it is the needs of the patient that should rule.

Any individual who is incapable of doing so is unfit for duty, and should not hold a license.

It's really quite simple.

Old 06-03-2012, 09:25 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,461,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
???? What you posted had NOTHING to do with denying care to patients....nothing...

Those programs, BTW, are VOLUNTARY...the victim does NOT have to use them.
No, they don't, and they also don't even have to go to a hospital or press charges. Why you're advocating that is beyond me though.

Quote:
One advocate contended that the SANE program was "the best development in victim services" that she had seen "in the last 10 years."2 SANE programs address several problems in the medical-legal response to sexual assault victims in hospital emergency departments, including the following:
  • Emergency department staff frequently regard the needs of sexual assault victims as less urgent than other patients because the majority of these victims do not sustain severe physical injuries.3
  • Sexual assault victims often endure long waits in busy public areas (4- to 10-hour waits are not uncommon).
  • Sexual assault victims often are not allowed to eat, drink, or urinate while they wait for a physician or nurse to conduct the evidentiary exam, to avoid destroying evidence.
  • Physicians or nurses who perform evidentiary exams often have not been trained in forensic evidence collection procedures or do not perform these procedures frequently enough to maintain proficiency.
  • Some physicians are reluctant to perform evidentiary exams because they know that they might be called from the hospital to testify in court and that their qualifications to conduct the exam might be questioned due to a lack of training and experience.
  • Emergency department staff may not understand sexual assault victimization (e.g., they may blame victims for their assaults or may not believe a "real rape" occurred) and overlook the need to treat victims with sensitivity and respect.
  • Emergency department staff may fail to gather and/or document all available forensic evidence, particularly in nonstranger cases.
With the advent of SANE programs, it became possible for sexual assault victims to consistently receive prompt and compassionate emergency care from medical professionals who understand victimization issues (e.g., SANEs recognize that the majority of victims are assaulted by intimate partners or acquaintances). A SANE can speed up the evidentiary examination process by reducing the time victims have to wait in a hospital's emergency department and the time it takes to complete the examination.4 The quality of the examination is usually improved because an experienced SANE is adept at identifying physical trauma and psychological needs, ensuring that victims receive appropriate medical care, knowing what evidence to look for and how to document injuries and other forensic evidence, and providing necessary referrals. Evidence collected by SANEs can help link the victim and suspect to the crime scene, indicate sexual penetration or activity, and establish lack of victim consent (e.g., bumps on the back of the head, abrasions on the back, and nongenital bruising). Establishing lack of consent is particularly important in the prosecution of nonstranger cases.

Recognizing the horror of sexual assault and the devastation it can cause victims and their significant others, SANEs ultimately strive to ensure that victims are not retraumatized by the evidentiary exam and to facilitate the healing process. SANE Program Director Jamie Ferrell, with the Sexual Assault Prevention and Crisis Services Division of the Texas Office of the Attorney General, remarked that "it's incredible to work with victims at possibly their lowest level of functioning and see them walk away with their heads held high.''5 SANE Coordinator Suzanne Brown, at Inova Fairfax Hospital in Fairfax, Virginia, noted that it was not uncommon for victims and their families to express gratitude to SANEs for the caring and efficient treatment they provided. On the few cases she has worked where victims of repeat assaults had evidentiary exams performed at different times by non-SANEs and SANEs, the victims commented that they wished they had been treated by a SANE the first time.6
https://www.ncjrs.gov/ovc_archives/b..._2001/2.html#3
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies