Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 06:37 PM

2,677 posts, read 2,617,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
So the physician has to violate his religious beliefs because of a rapist?
Indirectly, yes.

His patient desired to not become pregnant as a result of the rape. He had the authority to authorize medication that could prevent that. He had, in my opinion, the DUTY to provide said medication, whether it violated his own moral principals or not. As a doctor, it is not his role to impose his morality onto his patients.

His duty is to provide healthcare. Not to deny it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 06:40 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,468,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post
Indirectly, yes.

His patient desired to not become pregnant as a result of the rape. He had the authority to authorize medication that could prevent that. He had, in my opinion, the DUTY to provide said medication, whether it violated his own moral principals or not. As a doctor, it is not his role to impose his morality onto his patients.

No, his duty is to look out for the victim and make sure she gets the treatment she needs without being revictimized, and, as you would expect since they created a program specific to doing that, that was to send her to the SANE sanctioned hospital where she got all of the above and more.

Old 06-04-2012, 06:40 PM

8,893 posts, read 5,373,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Beebe View Post
My quarrel, if you had bothered to read the tone of the thread at all, is the same as most people posting here: It's WRONG for a physician to deny lawfully-available medication based on their personal beliefs.
I read the thread. It would appear you have no quarrel at all with physicians denying lawfully available drugs based on their personal beliefs. You are fine with refusal to prescribe weight-loss drugs, which are quite legal. Yet you make an exception for certain lawfully available drugs.

Old 06-04-2012, 06:41 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,468,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Beebe View Post
My quarrel, if you had bothered to read the tone of the thread at all, is the same as most people posting here: It's WRONG for a physician to deny lawfully-available medication based on their personal beliefs. Using this "logic" a Christian Scientist can decide prayer is better than anesthesia during an operation. Such people need to rethink their career options and transfer to areas that don't involve dispensation of medication that violates their principles.
Let me know when you'll send someone you love to a dialysis center for cancer treatment and then you'll have room to talk.

Old 06-04-2012, 06:44 PM

8,893 posts, read 5,373,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post
Indirectly, yes.

I'm not seeing that he did impose his morality onto his patients. He said he wouldn't give it out. Did he restrain her in the hospital to impose his morality on her?

Old 06-04-2012, 06:48 PM

1,661 posts, read 1,393,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Let me know when you'll send someone you love to a dialysis center for cancer treatment and then you'll have room to talk.
This gibberish has exactly zero to do with the topic. Exactly zero. You might as well have posted your opinion on the upcoming Season 6 Jersey Shore plots for all the relevance it has to the discussion.

5,767 posts, read 5,015,996 times
Quote:
So the physician has to violate his religious beliefs because of a rapist?
Had you read the article on page 1, you'd be sufficiently informed to know that this doctor is a woman. It's always best to know specifics before offering an opinion.

[quote] In this case the doctor involved refused to conduct any exam, nor would she dispense any emergency contraception. The hospital issued a statement grounding those decisions in the need to coordinate through the SANE program.

Wouldn’t dispense emergency contraception? That’s odd. Emergency contraception wouldn’t interfere with a rape kit at all or impact the investigation in any way. What could that be about?

The young woman asked the doctor whether or not emergency contraceptives were available and whether the doctor was simply refusing to provide them. The nurse told her “I will not give you emergency contraceptives because it goes against my belief.” The doctor refused to help her, even though she had just been raped, and refused to find another doctor to help her./]

So the doctor refused to even treat this young woman after a rape. It's inexcusable to deny treatment to someone who's just been violently assaulted, much less make them drive to another facility when she could easily have been bleeding profusely.

2,677 posts, read 2,617,351 times
Quote:
I'm not seeing that he did impose his morality onto his patients. He said he wouldn't give it out. Did he restrain her in the hospital to impose his morality on her?
The drug in question must be administered in a timely manner, else it becomes ineffective. Now, if there was an immediately available doctor (like, in the next room), I might be sympathetic, assuming the doctor in question went over and got a script from the other doctor on the spot. If he simply said, "Sorry, you're on your own" then as far as I'm concerned, he committed malpractice.

Old 06-04-2012, 06:50 PM

1,661 posts, read 1,393,483 times
Quote:
I read the thread. It would appear you have no quarrel at all with physicians denying lawfully available drugs based on their personal beliefs. You are fine with refusal to prescribe weight-loss drugs, which are quite legal. Yet you make an exception for certain lawfully available drugs.
Have I not explained that physicians are at loathe to prescribe medication that is unnecessary, when diet/exercise is a proven weight-loss treatment? Thyere is no such option for contraception/pregnancy. It's a laughably apples and oranges argument.

Old 06-04-2012, 06:58 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
OK, Minethatbird, you can quit being cute. You sound like you know a little bit about health care, so you should know that yes, there is a standard of care for rape victims, and that prescribing the "Morning After Pill" is a part of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies