Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 07:00 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times

Advertisements

[quote=Evenstar51;24601523]Had you read the article on page 1, you'd be sufficiently informed to know that this doctor is a woman. It's always best to know specifics before offering an opinion.

Quote:
In this case the doctor involved refused to conduct any exam, nor would she dispense any emergency contraception. The hospital issued a statement grounding those decisions in the need to coordinate through the SANE program.

Wouldn’t dispense emergency contraception? That’s odd. Emergency contraception wouldn’t interfere with a rape kit at all or impact the investigation in any way. What could that be about?

The young woman asked the doctor whether or not emergency contraceptives were available and whether the doctor was simply refusing to provide them. The nurse told her “I will not give you emergency contraceptives because it goes against my belief.” The doctor refused to help her, even though she had just been raped, and refused to find another doctor to help her./]

So the doctor refused to even treat this young woman after a rape. It's inexcusable to deny treatment to someone who's just been violently assaulted, much less make them drive to another facility when she could easily have been bleeding profusely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post
The drug in question must be administered in a timely manner, else it becomes ineffective. Now, if there was an immediately available doctor (like, in the next room), I might be sympathetic, assuming the doctor in question went over and got a script from the other doctor on the spot. If he simply said, "Sorry, you're on your own" then as far as I'm concerned, he committed malpractice.
Quote:
Rape victims of reproductive age also fear becoming
pregnant as a result of a rape. Pregnancy resulting
from rape is indeed the cause of great concern and
significant additional trauma to the victim. Most
programs offer pregnancy prevention or interception
for the woman at risk of becoming pregnant,
if they are seen within 72 hours of the rape and
have a negative pregnancy test in the ED. Sometimes
referred to as “the morning-after pill,” oral
contraceptives such as Ovral are used for emergency
contraception (ACOG: 96). Two tablets of a
contraceptive containing ethinyl estradiol, 0.05 mg,
and norgestrel, 0.5 mg, (Ovral) are taken at the
time of the evidentiary exam and two more in 12
hours is the usual form of pregnancy prevention.
Each dose should be given after an antiemetic agent
to prevent nausea (Osborn & Neff: 89; Ledray:
92b; Hampton: 95; ACOG: 96). This will reduce
the risk of pregnancy by 60 percent to 90 percent.
If a low dosage ethinyl estradiol contraceptive,
such as Lo-Ovral, Nordene, Levlen, Triphasil, or
Trilevlen, is used, a dose equivalent to 100ug of
estrogen, 4 tablets, should be provided for each
dose (Yuzpe, Smith & Rademaker: 82). Two
programs operating at a Catholic hospital went as
far as to get special permission from the diocese to
administer Ovral (Frank: 96; O’Brien: 97).
The risk of pregnancy from a rape is the same as
the risk of pregnancy from a one time sexual
encounter. This is estimated to be 2 percent to 5
percent (Yuzpe, Smith & Rademaker: 82; Holmes,
Resnick, Kilpatrick & Best: 96). Holmes et al.
found that the majority of these pregnancies
occurred among adolescents and resulted from a
known and often related perpetrator. Unfortunately,
only 11 percent of these victims received
immediate medical attention for the rape. Fifty
percent decided to terminate the pregnancy later.
An additional 11.8 percent had a spontaneous
abortion, and 5.9 percent placed the infant up for
adoption. With better preventive care after the
rape, it is possible that more of these pregnancies
and abortions could have been prevented.
One program suggests that the consent form for
the use of pregnancy interception drugs include all
three options available to the victim, and that one
option is always checked and signed by the victim.
This will provide clear documentation of why the
medication (Ovral) is or is not given. The first
would be the typical informed consent of possible
complications with agreement to take the medication.
The second would be “I understand that
because (I am already taking a contraceptive/had a
tubal ligation) pregnancy prevention is not recommended
for me.” The third option would be “even
though pregnancy prevention was recommended
by the SANE, I (the victim) chose not to take the
medication” (Speck: 96).
http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/ovc/publica.../saneguide.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 07:00 PM

2,677 posts, read 2,616,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Beebe View Post
Have I not explained that physicians are at loathe to prescribe medication that is unnecessary, when diet/exercise is a proven weight-loss treatment?
I have no problem restricting access to drugs when by doing so you are protecting the general population, for example preventing the abuse of antibiotics that ultimately leads to antibiotic resistant bugs. However, outside of that, if the only potential victim is the user, and they are fully informed of the potential risks, their request ought be considered mandatory lacking compelling reasons to deny it.

Old 06-04-2012, 07:05 PM

8,893 posts, read 5,371,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post
The drug in question must be administered in a timely manner, else it becomes ineffective. Now, if there was an immediately available doctor (like, in the next room), I might be sympathetic, assuming the doctor in question went over and got a script from the other doctor on the spot. If he simply said, "Sorry, you're on your own" then as far as I'm concerned, he committed malpractice.
You don't need a prescription for the morning after pill in Oklahoma.

It is available over the counter for those over 17, which our victim was.

Old 06-04-2012, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
OK, Minethatbird, you can quit being cute. You sound like you know a little bit about health care, so you should know that yes, there is a standard of care for rape victims, and that prescribing the "Morning After Pill" is a part of that.
Please give me a link to this list.

I personally think you are all being real cuties, as you are making a scene over an over the counter drug that the victim could have walked into a pharmacy and bought, whether a doctor said so or not.

Old 06-04-2012, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
You don't need a prescription for the morning after pill in Oklahoma.

It is available over the counter for those over 17, which our victim was.
That's not the point. Before giving any medication doctors need to go through all the steps before doing so. Since, as some posters suggested, time is of the essence wasting time going through all of those question only to then send them to a SANE hospital would just be a waste of time and would not further the process of getting the victim back on their feet.

If these people were truly concerned about the victim they wouldn't be questioning the doctor as if they were the physician. they should ask themselves if they would rather get them to the place they need to be quicker or if they would postpone that recovery process so they could prove a political point.

Old 06-04-2012, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Beebe View Post
Have I not explained that physicians are at loathe to prescribe medication that is unnecessary, when diet/exercise is a proven weight-loss treatment? Thyere is no such option for contraception/pregnancy. It's a laughably apples and oranges argument.
Well apparently someone was at loathe to prescribe a drug that didn't need a prescription. Besides, if a physician says he/she thinks diet/exercise is sufficient isn't he imposing his beliefs on his patient?

Old 06-04-2012, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
That's not the point. Before giving any medication doctors need to go through all the steps before doing so. Since, as some posters suggested, time is of the essence wasting time going through all of those question only to then send them to a SANE hospital would just be a waste of time and would not further the process of getting the victim back on their feet.

If these people were truly concerned about the victim they wouldn't be questioning the doctor as if they were the physician. they should ask themselves if they would rather get them to the place they need to be quicker or if they would postpone that recovery process so they could prove a political point.
It's obvious they were very concerned about proving a political point here.

I wonder if there will be equal concern shown regarding sales of certain cold medicines?

Old 06-04-2012, 07:22 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
Quote:
It's obvious they were very concerned about proving a political point here.

I wonder if there will be equal concern shown regarding sales of certain cold medicines?
Anyone buying certain cold medicines is an illegal drug manufacturer and must be stopped at all costs!

Old 06-04-2012, 07:39 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Please give me a link to this list.

I personally think you are all being real cuties, as you are making a scene over an over the counter drug that the victim could have walked into a pharmacy and bought, whether a doctor said so or not.
Oh, knock it off. I don't work in a rape crisis center, but you can bet your boots there are protocols. There are protocols for everything in health care. If you actually were a health care professional, you'd know that.

I did not get from the article what the age of the girl was.

Old 06-04-2012, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiana View Post
oh, knock it off. I don't work in a rape crisis center, but you can bet your boots there are protocols. There are protocols for everything in health care. If you actually were a health care professional, you'd know that.

I did not get from the article what the age of the girl was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies