Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2012, 07:57 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,387,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
That is a lot different than "restricting freedom".
People who oppose the ad are trying to discourage businesses from putting ads like this out, thus trying to restrict homosexuals' freedom to be in such an ad. It isn't complicated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 08:12 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,005,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
People who oppose the ad are trying to discourage businesses from putting ads like this out, thus trying to restrict homosexuals' freedom to be in such an ad. It isn't complicated.
Freedom of action is involved in every step even if the protest was successful. No one is forcing J.C. Penney to pull those ads - and no one is keeping a model from working.

Were you a pretzel maker in the past?

Old 06-04-2012, 08:18 PM

2,239 posts, read 3,230,075 times
People get so worked up over a simple ad. People are too hyper-sensitive in this country.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:35 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,387,936 times
Quote:
Freedom of action is involved in every step even if the protest was successful.

No one is forcing J.C. Penney to pull those ads - and no one is keeping a model from working.
Successful, how? If the protests/boycotts were successful in persuading JC Penney to fire Ellen and never run another ad featuring gays, there's an example of discriminatory restrictions. One more thing that gays cannot do, but heterosexuals can. Doesn't matter if the gay models could "just go to another store", which seems to be what you're implying. Their freedom is minimized in comparison to heterosexuals. For no good reason (You clearly cannot give us one, but you refuse to acknowledge that the motivation behind all this protesting and boycotting is nonsensical) And that's what this is really all about, no matter how you want to dance around it.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:42 PM

Look. I don't understand this hatred towards gays when EVERYONE has Gay people in their lives. EVERYONE has Gay family members, friends and Co-Workers. Stop the hatred and bigotry. It's NOT CUTE.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:54 PM

2,964 posts, read 3,531,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer75 View Post
Look. I don't understand this hatred towards gays when EVERYONE has Gay people in their lives. EVERYONE has Gay family members, friends and Co-Workers. Stop the hatred and bigotry. It's NOT CUTE.
I think you should try to to repeal the first amendment of the constitution. Hate speech will be illegal if you do.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Towner View Post
I think you should try to to repeal the first amendment of the constitution. Hate speech will be illegal if you do.
What is your point?

Old 06-04-2012, 09:02 PM

Quote:
I have stated my position consistently throughtout the thread. J.C. Penney can run whatever ad they wish to run, I don't have to shop there, and the "million moms" can call for someone to get a pink slip and ask that J.C. Penney pull the ad.

What is difficult to understand?
The funny part is that these bigots actually think they can get away with it. JC Penny knows better. Million Moms...anyone can call their group Million anything.

But ok. Let's use that number. That's .003 of the population - MAX.

Good ahead ladies, boycott all you want. LOL.

Old 06-04-2012, 09:47 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer75 View Post
People get so worked up over a simple ad. People are too hyper-sensitive in this country.
Yes. And I've made it my mission to poke them with a stick and offend them as often as possible. I like seeing the veins in their neck pop out.

Old 06-04-2012, 10:36 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
It's JCP's new image..cool, hip, with the times.
They are trying to change their image.

Seems though more are talking about the people in the flyer than the clothes. Maybe they went a bit too far too fast ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies