Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2012, 10:39 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times

Advertisements

I don't care. If they have something i want, i'm buying it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 10:45 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,667,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Seems though more are talking about the people in the flyer than the clothes. Maybe they went a bit too far too fast ?
Or maybe JCPenney is getting exactly what they wanted - courtesy of the Homo Haters Of America™. If it weren't for them, this would barely register as a topic of discussion.

Old 06-04-2012, 10:58 PM

30,347 posts, read 51,937,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Or maybe JCPenney is getting exactly what they wanted - courtesy of the Homo Haters Of Americaâ„¢. If it weren't for them, this would barely register as a topic of discussion.
Bingo! I've said it before, and I'll say it again... any publicity is good publicity, and these "million moms" are only accomplishing the opposite of what they're hoping. Maybe they really are just corporate plants? Hmmm.

Old 06-04-2012, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
I have stated my position consistently throughtout the thread. J.C. Penney can run whatever ad they wish to run, I don't have to shop there, and the "million moms" can call for someone to get a pink slip and ask that J.C. Penney pull the ad.

What is difficult to understand?
The only difficult thing to understand is why you keep harping on this, if you're satisfied with simply not shopping there... also confused as to why you claim to not have a problem with gays and gay rights (aside from them using the word marriage), and yet an innocent non-marriage-related ad is enough to cause you to boycott? Hey, it's your prerogative - but don't be surprised when somebody is confused by your militant & contradictory behavior on these issues!

P.S. The million moms do NOT have the right to call for Ellen's firing, especially when that would be illegal in the state of California. They can wish it, but they certainly cannot demand it as they've been attempting.

Old 06-04-2012, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Never could understand why the bleach blonde soccer mom set admires Ellen so much- Sure she is charming in her funny little way...but all she represents is some ugly duckling little jewish girl who has found a niche and is making the big bucks...she is so rich that she can buy highly attractive straight woman as "partners" woman who are their for the money- she may as well be a male John..
Ellen is not Jewish... does DeGeneres sound Jewish to you?? FYI, she is of French, English, German & Irish descent, and was raised as a Christian Scientist - even discovered recently she's (distantly) related to Kate Middleton, which is about as Goyisha as one can get.

She's hilarious IMO, and her wife has always been a lesbian. She was briefly married to a man, but in her own words it was initially for a green card, and she did date other women before Ellen.

From Wikipedia (not my favorite resource, but it works for biographies): "De Rossi was married to documentary film-maker Mel Metcalfe from 1996 to 1999, initially part of a plan to get a green card, but she did not go through with it. She said that "it just obviously wasn't right for me". In a 2010 interview on Good Morning America, she explained that as a young actress, she was fearful of being exposed as a lesbian. From 2000 to 2004, de Rossi dated singer Francesca Gregorini, the daughter of Barbara Bach and the stepdaughter of Ringo Starr. She said that most of her family and Ally McBeal castmates did not know she was a lesbian until tabloid pictures of the couple were published. She declined to publicly discuss the relationship or her sexual orientation at the time."

Last edited by gizmo980; 06-04-2012 at 11:21 PM..

Old 06-04-2012, 11:16 PM

P.S. I'm not a bleached blonde soccer mom, LOL... I am a natural redhead with no children, and still think Ellen is great.

Old 06-04-2012, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Towner View Post
I think you should try to to repeal the first amendment of the constitution. Hate speech will be illegal if you do.
What does the First Amendment have to do with their comment? I didn't see anything about banning hate speech, they were just asking WHY people are so anti-gay... I can ask why people are racist, and that doesn't mean I want racism to be outlawed.

Old 06-04-2012, 11:32 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,005,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
She's hilarious IMO, and her wife has always been a lesbian. She was briefly married to a man, but in her own words it was initially for a green card, and she did date other women before Ellen.
Her "marriage" may be legal in whatever state she got "married" in - but she does not have a wife. She is a woman and if she wants to truly call herself married - she can find a man - and call him her husband - and herself his wife.

Old 06-05-2012, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Her "marriage" may be legal in whatever state she got "married" in - but she does not have a wife. She is a woman and if she wants to truly call herself married - she can find a man - and call him her husband - and herself his wife.
She has a wife according to the state and Supreme Court of California (grandfathered in even after Prop 8), and I think that's between her, Portia, and the state - certainly not for you to determine, and actually a pretty rude thing to say. I know you don't like this, but they are legally married by every state law and document. Maybe you could just be happy for them, and wish them well? Watch, they'll probably outlast 99% of all other Hollywood couples in the end.

Hypothetical question: What would you do if gay marriage became federally recognized? Would you still go around using quotations for "married," and tell them they're not really husband & husband or wife & wife? These two ladies didn't just have a ceremony, they signed a marriage contract from the government - complete with a legal name change and American citizenship for Portia.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:47 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,528,918 times
Best line of this entire thread is true.

Any publicity is good to have. Yes!

The very cool thing about this is that it applies to every entity and celebrity.

Think Palin, Beck and the Tea Party, as well as JCP.

It's all good, and so was this thread. I didn't see any flaming wars. Very nice~

Also, haven't seen the ad anywhere except online, per publicity.

Oh well, Fathers' Day will come and go, and as some indicated this will be seen as no big deal. Always good to have things like it to stimulate debate.

Thanks, CD~
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies