Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 11:31 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,196,228 times

Advertisements

I just heard the Democratic spin, it was warm weather, and high gas prices.

I thought Democrats said Obama is responsible for the price dropping..

And if low gas prices meant jobs, wouldnt it be cheaper for the government to stop taxing gas, thus lowering the price of gas, to stimulate the economy, rather than paying all of the unemployment checks? Think of the income tax revenue that would be raised....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2012, 11:34 AM

4,428 posts, read 4,488,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post

"They still have a lot of work to do."

I've been hearing that one for a while.

Old 06-01-2012, 11:36 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,853,731 times
We're still doing a LOT better than Europe. But, we will fall, if they do, as they did, when we did.

Old 06-01-2012, 11:38 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,429,838 times
Quote:

And if low gas prices meant jobs, wouldnt it be cheaper for the government to stop taxing gas, thus lowering the price of gas, to stimulate the economy, rather than paying all of the unemployment checks? Think of the income tax revenue that would be raised....
Who said that? Why does warm weather cause less hiring? Or do you mean, the unseasonably warm winter caused hiring earlier in the year? Higher gas prices hurt the economy, but I'm not sure removing the gas tax helps the big picture, since the gas tax funds the Transportation Fund, which is what pays to maintain our roads, which is how are goods and services transport around the country. It's actually underfunded though.

Old 06-01-2012, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
Who said that? Why does warm weather cause less hiring? Or do you mean, the unseasonably warm winter caused hiring earlier in the year?
One of the Obama advisors, I didnt catch his name, but his argument was warmer weather caused people to hire more in the last several months, that normally would have been hired this month.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
Higher gas prices hurt the economy, but I'm not sure removing the gas tax helps the big picture, since the gas tax funds the Transportation Fund, which is what pays to maintain our roads, which is how are goods and services transport around the country. It's actually underfunded though.
But didnt we just spend hundreds of billions fixing roads and bridges? Why would we need to fix things that Obama already fixed.

Old 06-01-2012, 11:54 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,853,731 times
Quote:
One of the Obama advisors, I didnt catch his name, but his argument was warmer weather caused people to hire more in the last several months, that normally would have been hired this month.
That is a possibility but as an insignificant player IMO. I'm placing my bets on uncertain economy in Europe, as well as failure of US government to find discipline over playing political games.

Quote:
But didnt we just spend hundreds of billions fixing roads and bridges? Why would we need to fix things that Obama already fixed.
How big of an infrastructure do you believe the USA has? Only a small fraction of the stimulus and spread over several years was put towards infrastructure. Even if we include the total cost (including tax cuts) implemented under ARRA 2009, we're talking a yearly average of only $165 billion thru 2011 much less spending on infrastructure.

Old 06-01-2012, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
That is a possibility but as an insignificant player IMO. I'm placing my bets on uncertain economy in Europe, as well as failure of US government to find discipline over playing political games.

How big of an infrastructure do you believe the USA has? Only a small fraction of the stimulus and spread over several years was put towards infrastructure. Even if we include the total cost (including tax cuts) implemented under ARRA 2009, we're talking a yearly average of only $165 billion thru 2011 much less spending on infrastructure.
When did all of the infrastructure across the USA become a federal obligation?

Old 06-01-2012, 12:14 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,467,237 times
Quote:

Thought the same thing!
And that darn warm May weather pushing up unemployment numbers!

Old 06-01-2012, 12:15 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,467,237 times
Quote:
When did all of the infrastructure across the USA become a federal obligation?
When they were attacking Bush for crumbling bridges! Yet how many of those have been fixed since the Liberal control?

Old 06-01-2012, 12:24 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,710,540 times
With real unemployment figured between 15 and 25%, depending who you talk to, it is very telling, of a government figure used for citizens, that have a calculated limited time to be counted.
It is put out, by the government to fool the ignorant and prevent a panic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies