Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 03:45 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,405,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
The causes for absentee black fathers are the same as with any other race: dysfunction.

It's a dumb question. I guess that its ok if you wanted to open up yet ONE MORE thread about blacks. But dysfunction is dysfunction....you can't assign a race to it. That's just common sense.
As in the case of the white Republican Congressman Joe Walsh who was behind $117,000 in child support payments, and it took his wife suing him, making the story public, and jeopardizing his political career before he would "work something out" with her. This father was absent in supporting his children.

I'm amazed at all the negative threads on this site about blacks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2012, 03:45 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,183,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Just listen to all the hip-hop rap songs..it's cool to father kids without getting married...makes you "manly".

I would like to know if these mothers try to legally get child support or do they just drive on down to the welfare office.
You're not one to normally talk out of your ass, so I'll just ask you to name me 5 rap songs by title that endorses fatherlessness. In fact, post the YouTube links.

I've got time.

Old 06-03-2012, 03:51 PM

2,523 posts, read 2,202,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Please see my post above. These problems existed before the 60s as well. In 1960 itself 24% of black children were born to unwed mothers. Which was nearly 10 times the rate of unwed white mothers. Also slavery made a lot of illegitimate black babies prior to the 1950s.
24% was alot better than 70%

Old 06-03-2012, 03:52 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,368,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer75 View Post
Let's start with THE REPUBLICANS wanting to CUT Pell Grants.

Guess who relies on these grants for their college tuition and books? THE POOR. Let's see...the poor tend to be...oh wait, BLACKS AND LATINOS.

We can start there.
Less Pell Grant money equals more out-of-wedlock pregnancies?

I don't think so.

Next time, don't use a serious issue as an excuse to go off on a politically partisan rant.

Old 06-03-2012, 03:52 PM

2,523 posts, read 2,202,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
Before the '60s the black community had the problems of crosses being burned in their front yard, voting, lynchings, Jim Crow laws, etc., etc. Did you say you missed American history classes when you were in school, or did you go to school prior to the '60s and the truth was not taught?
And even through all that we where able to keep families together.

Old 06-03-2012, 03:57 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,405,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantown View Post
And even through all that we where able to keep families together.
What do you mean "we"? So why have "you" not been able to keep your families together after the Civil Rights Act of the 1960s? Let me guess. It was the fault of the Democrats and the war on poverty.

Old 06-03-2012, 04:03 PM

2,239 posts, read 3,229,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George View Post
Less Pell Grant money equals more out-of-wedlock pregnancies?

I don't think so.

Next time, don't use a serious issue as an excuse to go off on a politically partisan rant.
It was tied into the conservation and I was making a point concerning education.

[MOD CUT]

Last edited by Ibginnie; 06-03-2012 at 04:33 PM.. Reason: bickering

Old 06-03-2012, 04:23 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,368,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer75 View Post
It was tied into the conservation and I was making a point concerning education.

Excuse me, but who are you to tell me what and what not to do. Are you serious? Back off. The nerve of some people on here.
[MOD CUT]

Back to the absurd...

If you want to make this a partisan political issue, you are condemning yourself and making it crystal clear that you're not looking or solutions. You're just looking for excuses.

More Pell Grant money is not going to convince people to keep their pants on, nor will it encourage them to act responsibility - regardless of race.

Try again.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 06-03-2012 at 04:33 PM.. Reason: bickering

Old 06-03-2012, 10:54 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,183,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And you don't think these rich rap stars DON'T influence kids these days ?
First of all, there are only a few rich rap stars. Most rappers are broke.

Secondly, i'm still waiting on you to post the rap songs that hold fatherlessness up as something cool.

Again, if one wants to start a thread as to why absentee fatherhood is more acute in the black community than other communities, then fine. That makes sense.

But the question in this thread asks for reasons for absentee black fathers , and those reasons are the same as they are in every other racial group.

White absentee fathers are no different than black absentee fathers. Dysfunction is dysfunction regardless of race.

Old 06-03-2012, 10:59 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,595,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Dysfunction is dysfunction regardless of race.
Too bad too many people on this board don't see that. But people who have an agenda are blind to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies