Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 12:34 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
What I hear in this post is using the economic crisis as an excuse to do what conservatives always want to do, namely, cut the size of government. It isn't limited to the U.S. It's the same thing going on in the UK (video.)

By the way, cutting back on the number of government employees isn't always a good thing. Those employees perform a function, such as inspect the meat that you buy. In another sense, those employees are your customers and if you cut back on customers, you will lose your job.
In a economy that is contracting and budgets that are way out of proportions to revenues and masvie debt to pay;cuts are going to happen. Right now the cuts are not agreed to but they will come and both aporties are saying so.That willmean federal cuts like has happened i state and local budgets.

Old 06-04-2012, 12:57 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,951,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
In a economy that is contracting and budgets that are way out of proportions to revenues and masvie debt to pay;cuts are going to happen. Right now the cuts are not agreed to but they will come and both aporties are saying so.That willmean federal cuts like has happened i state and local budgets.
What you are telling me is that stupid policy is going to happen. That's why I'm arguing against stupid policy. It's economic illiteracy to cut government spending in this type of economy.

Old 06-04-2012, 02:30 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,202,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Most of the jobs cut were local and state jobs. The president has little to no influence here, unless they start bailing out states, which I'm not in favor of.

Most of the government cuts have amounted to few, if any, cuts in programs or limits the effectiveness of government.

So it seems to me that if this means we are cutting needless jobs, that's a good thing.
That comment is just plain stupid. The jobs being cut at the state and local level are vital jobs. Pick a state, they are laying off prison guards, case workers, social workers, parole officers, court personnel, teachers, etc. They are letting felons out of jail because of understaffing and work that needs to be done isn't getting done.

Just came home from a visit to a state park here in Ohio, basic maintenance is not being done. A week after the season opens and the cleaning and remedial work on a major beach hasn't been done yet, and it doesn't look like it will be done this year.

Old 06-04-2012, 02:36 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,303,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Wait. I'm confused. I thought the Republican's were the party of SMALLER government. Right?
But not when President Obama is making government. Then all of sudden it's a bad thing.

It's called situational logic, something that most conservatives excel at.

Of course the only reason that something like reducing government employees can be called good when a Republican talks about smaller government but bad when President Obama actually makes government smaller is because you are BIASED against the person making government smaller.

Old 06-04-2012, 02:38 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,468,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
That comment is just plain stupid. The jobs being cut at the state and local level are vital jobs. Picl a state, they are laying off prison guards, case workers, social workers, parole officers, court personnel, teachers, etc. They are letting felons out of jail because of understaffing and work that needs to be done isn't getting done.

Just came home from a visit to a state park here in Ohio, basic maintenance is not being done. I week after the season opens and the cleaning and remedial work on a major beach hasn't been done yet, and it doesn't look like it will be done this year.
Oh, it's going to get a lot worse. Just wait till the tax cuts expire and payroll taxes go back to what they were or even worse what they need to be to keep those systems slightly above water. That money doesn't come out of the sky, it'll come out of people's pockets who won't be spending in the local and state economies and that means lower tax revenues for states whose state pensions are already a massive burden.

Old 06-04-2012, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Oh, it's going to get a lot worse. Just wait till the tax cuts expire and payroll taxes go back to what they were or even worse what they need to be to keep those systems slightly above water. That money doesn't come out of the sky, it'll come out of people's pockets who won't be spending in the local and state economies and that means lower tax revenues for states whose state pensions are already a massive burden.
You mean wait until the tax-cuts expire and rates go back to the rates that existed during the Clinton glory years? Remember, when Clinton proposed raising those taxes the GOP, from Gingrich down, proclaimed -- just as you are now, how it was going to be disastrous to the economy. Not only was it not disastrous to the economy, the economy boomed.

Old 06-04-2012, 04:44 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,468,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
You mean wait until the tax-cuts expire and rates go back to the rates that existed during the Clinton glory years? Remember, when Clinton proposed raising those taxes the GOP, from Gingrich down, proclaimed -- just as you are now, how it was going to be disastrous to the economy. Not only was it not disastrous to the economy, the economy boomed.
I'll play your silly little game. What is going to lead the boom that can sustain massive tax increases. Housing? Technology? Easy Credit? "Green" Initiatives (LOL)?

Old 06-04-2012, 04:56 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,311,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
In total, 607,000 government jobs (in seasonally adjusted numbers) were LOST from the time Obama took office until now, April 2012. That's a decrease of 2.69%.

We have experienced decreases in the number of government jobs in 20 out of the last 23 months, starting in June 2010, when the layoff of 2010 Census workers began.
Molly's Middle America: Private & Government Jobs Gained & Lost Under Obama (April 2012)

In these troubled times, we should focus on keeping people in their job, regardless of what that job might be. I think it's pretty obvious that Obama's policies and procedures have caused this atrocity. Under Obama, people who weren't needed, were cut. All that money spent on them, that we pay for - through taxation -, isn't being unnecessarily spent. That's just harsh, man. It's like, the government thought it was wasteful or not useful or something.

For shame, Obama. For shame.

Check this out..... Obama.
Bush vs. Obama: Jobs - Unemployment - Salon.com

Yeah, during George Bush's first term 900,000 governemnt jobs were created. How about that, Mr. "Jobs man." How about getting that government bloated again? Baby needs a new pair of shoes.
Who gives a damn about government jobs? They are paid from taxpayer dollars!

But I have read that most of the "jobs" Obama has "created" ARE government jobs. As such, they do nothing for the economy.

Government does not create jobs. Entrepreneurs do.

Old 06-04-2012, 05:11 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,202,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post

But I have read that most of the "jobs" Obama has "created" ARE government jobs. As such, they do nothing for the economy.

Wow, a lot of nonsense there dude.

Most of the new jobs created since Obama took office are private sector. Other than short term census workers the federal government's employment has been fairly flat. There is a chart up the thread.

DEMAND creates jobs. Take consumer demand away and all the money on wall street isn't going to create real jobs. If you kill off the middle class you're killing off the economy.

Old 06-04-2012, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post

That's an absurd talking point as Buzzard, above, has stated. Consumers create demand and demand creates and incentive to hire workers. The statement "the rich are job creators" merely is their excuse to bestow favorable tax treatment.

On the topic of government jobs versus private jobs, it doesn't matter from a macro economic standpoint. Job holders, whether public or private, are consumers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies