Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is saying "That's So Gay" Offensive?
I am gay and find it offensive 7 21.88%
I am gay and do not find it offensive 4 12.50%
I am straight and find it offensive 4 12.50%
I am straight and do not find it offensive 17 53.13%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 03:29 PM

3,531 posts, read 3,732,527 times

Advertisements

Hilary Duff - Think Before You Speak ("That's So Gay") Official (HQ) - YouTube

Is this really offensive to gay people? Saying "that's so gay?" I believe this to be one example that the gay agenda isn't just about gay marriage. It's about mind control and changing society to fit what they want using political correctness and shaming techniques.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2012, 03:37 PM

2,239 posts, read 3,229,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budgetlord View Post

Is this really offensive to gay people? Saying "that's so gay?" I believe this to be one example that the gay agenda isn't just about gay marriage. It's about mind control and changing society to fit what they want using political correctness and shaming techniques.
Yeah...what's the big deal? We should also say.."That's so Latino". Or when you see a bad driver say "That's so Asian". Or when you see a person is urban gear and say "That's so black!".

Because it's all said in fun, right?

I mean, when people say That's So Gay, they usually mean it as a compliment and not as an insult right? Of course not! Lighten up people.

Say whatever you want using any group of people to insult your friends. It's totally cool and how we should behave as a modern, educated society.

Old 06-03-2012, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer75 View Post
Yeah...what's the big deal? We should also say.."That's so Latino". Or when you see a bad driver say "That's so Asian". Or when you see a person is urban gear and say "That's so black!".

Because it's all said in fun, right?

I mean, when people say That's So Gay, they usually mean it as a compliment and not as an insult right? Of course not! Lighten up people.

Say whatever you want using any group of people to insult your friends. It's totally cool and how we should behave as a modern, educated society.
It isn't anywhere close to the dehumanizing intent of the "N" word. Stick and stones. I think people need to be less sensitive. I am an adult, and if someone tries to insult me, or makes an off-handed comment, I just brush it off. People insult people all the time, on height, looks, intelligence, etc.

Old 06-03-2012, 03:44 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,461,160 times
I voted: "I am gay and I do not find it offensive." Most of the time when I hear it now, it doesn't mean "bad". It usually means something like "that's so effeminate". Plus I don't really care if people say it to mean "bad" or "effeminate." Words can be used to mean all kinds of things, and often people try to use a word or phrase to be mean "off-record", like when someone condescendingly says "bless your heart," and means pretty much the complete opposite. The words are just being used to convey another meaning--I know that actual homosexuality isn't being referred to.

Old 06-03-2012, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
I voted: "I am gay and I do not find it offensive." Most of the time when I hear it now, it doesn't mean "bad". It usually means something like "that's so effeminate".
Thank you for your honesty.

Old 06-03-2012, 05:23 PM

59,040 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budgetlord View Post

I have preferred the word homo for years.

If they can claim anyone who doesn't agree with their stance can be accused of homo-phobia, fear of homo's, then we should use the same words they use.

Old 06-03-2012, 05:44 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,626,028 times
I equate it as being similar to when guys say 'you throw like a girl'. It irks me as a woman when people say it because it just means 'you throw like a girl, who are inherently worse and I'm using it as an insult'. Saying 'That's gay' pisses me off in the same way because the person saying it is equating you to something that is inherently 'worse' in their minds. They are dehumanizing you by using something that people are and I've always found that odd.

My brother is a semi pro baseball player and I was at one of his practices setting up some stuff for the season and one of the guys jokingly said 'you throw like a chick'...he stopped, pointed at me and said 'my sister is 6'1 and can throw a ball 70 mph.... so thank you'. Shut him up pretty quick

Old 06-03-2012, 06:59 PM

1,440 posts, read 1,169,843 times
Well, I personally don't find single words offensive.

Last edited by shpanda; 06-03-2012 at 07:02 PM.. Reason: single* I'm dumb.

Old 06-03-2012, 07:02 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,417,223 times
Its easier than saying "that's so homosexual-American"....

Old 06-03-2012, 07:16 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,210,944 times
I dunno...I'm on the fence. I'm gay and I said "do not find it offensive" but will qualify it because I do not find it offensive per se. At risk of sounding like a hypocrite, I've used the term myself, perhaps inappropriately, with statements such as "wow Bob, you've really out-gayed yourself" (name that movie) or "Bill, I feel like I'm becoming more gay just by sitting next to you" (names changed of course to protect anonymity). But it's always in jest with friends who are gay and are not offended. I think it just depends on the intent behind the statement. But I've never really used the term to describe an inanimate object...I don't find it really offensive, it just seems unintelligent. "That shirt is sooooo gay." Srsly? Maybe you can find some straight shirts a few racks down? Or perhaps in the closet? hehe.

I find it similar to the "b" word. In certain contexts it can be really derogatory towards women. But I also know many females who embrace the term and actually would take that word as a compliment even if meant as an insult.

I remember the term "[q-word]" used to be really derogatory. But then the gay community adopted it as a term of self-identification. I still hear it in negative contexts every now and then, but again, it just tends to make me laugh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies