Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 12:19 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Yeah, that's really messed up. But the pro-choice movement has an "anything goes" mentality. They're as bad as the pro-lifers IMO.

Abortion is supposed to be a last resort, not your primary form of contraception!

I think the Alan Guttmacher institute (a pro-choice org.) said that in 50% of abortions, no kind of contraception was used by the woman or her partner. I find that morally unacceptable.

No they don't. They just don't assume they have the intimate knowledge necessary to make the choice for anyone but themselves. Get your story straight.

People like "your friends" are considered morons my people of average intellegence. There is no nicer way to put it and, unfortunately, we can't exterminate morons for being morons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 12:43 AM

30,345 posts, read 51,937,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Considering how very rare gay males are in society, I doubt that the average woman has more than one gay male friend, if that many.
Depends on where you live. I've been in the Bay Area for a good chunk of my life, including a total of 5 years in the city of San Francisco... so I have a handful of gay male friends (along with a few lesbian/bisexual female friends), and have even been friends with a couple of transgendered people. I don't purposefully seek them out, I just seem to attract them like bees to honey! Fine by me.

Old 06-05-2012, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
No they don't. They just don't assume they have the intimate knowledge necessary to make the choice for anyone but themselves. Get your story straight.

People like "your friends" are considered morons my people of average intellegence. There is no nicer way to put it and, unfortunately, we can't exterminate morons for being morons.
If you're referring to my friends mentioned earlier, yes they WERE morons when it came to safe sex and promiscuity in general... but outside of that issue, they happen to be wonderful and intelligent women, and now excellent mothers to their children. I don't judge people on their mistakes - and as you said yourself, we don't have the intimate knowledge necessary to make those choices for them.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:37 PM

1,695 posts, read 3,044,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Did you know the Red Cross has since lessened that ban (to one year since their last encounter) in most areas, and have recommended to the CDC that it be lifted altogether? I was reading an article about that recently, and they say it's no longer a huge concern for blood donation... partly because of the careful screening they do on donated blood nowadays, and partly because the gay male community is more aware & more regularly tested than any other demographic.

On that note, I bet the numbers for heterosexuals would be even higher if they were tested more frequently. To all the straight (and sexually active) people here, when was the last time YOU were tested for HIV? I went years without a test, until the free mobile testing van showed up outside my work - and I got tested then just to encourage the other locals, and show them it was okay. FYI, it doesn't even matter if you're in a monogamous relationship, considering one of my HIV+ friends got it from a long-time "monogamous" partner. Well, at least that's what he thought.
Yes - nowadays we have much better screening so we can determine the "Bad Blood" (A book I highly recommend to everyone), but back in '85 it was known that homosexuals had a much higher incidence of AIDS & the testing was not what it is today. THe point I was making was that, having known this 30 + years ago, I don't see why something stating this is considered New.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:50 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Europe has the same percentage of gays as America, yet the rates of HIV infection there are much lower. That's because they aren't squeamish about sex education there like we are in the US.
The overwhelming vast majority of people contracting AIDS today know how it is spread but made their choices anyway.

Don't try and pass the blame.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:54 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
The rates are higher because the method of sex : anal. Anal is high risk no matter who does it because of easy tears. Oral sex being the least risky .and heterosexual just being in between
If my wife and I participate in anal sex there is zero risk of AIDS. This is also true of monongamous gay couples.

Anal sex is not always high risk.

Old 06-05-2012, 09:39 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,303,363 times
Default AIDS Rate 50 Times Higher in Homosexual Men.

Quote:
Depends on where you live. I've been in the Bay Area for a good chunk of my life, including a total of 5 years in the city of San Francisco... so I have a handful of gay male friends (along with a few lesbian/bisexual female friends), and have even been friends with a couple of transgendered people. I don't purposefully seek them out, I just seem to attract them like bees to honey! Fine by me.
CD's Queen Bee?

AIDS Rate 50 Times Higher in Homosexual Men.-118610-74923-queen-bee-1-.jpg

Old 06-05-2012, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
CD's Queen Bee?

Attachment 96625
LOL... I have always wanted purple hair!! Tried it once in college, but red + purple = ugly brownish magenta.

Old 06-05-2012, 09:47 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,772,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
If my wife and I participate in anal sex there is zero risk of AIDS. This is also true of monongamous gay couples.

Anal sex is not always high risk.
How is there zero risk? You'd have to assume your wife hasn't cheated on you and contracted HIV. Unless you two both get routinely tested, and see each other's results, there is always a risk.

Old 06-05-2012, 09:53 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,772,641 times
Quote:
Are you equally as concerned about this statistic, as presented by the CDC?

"Black/African American men and women were also strongly affected and were estimated to have an HIV incidence rate than was 7 times as high as the incidence rate among whites."

Why isn't anyone discussing that, or the fact that rates among young heterosexual women have been rising?
They like to ignore the larger statistics:

Heterosexual AIDS(BP-411E)

The World Health Organization estimates that heterosexual transmission has accounted for 75% of the HIV infections in adults world-wide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies