Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 08:23 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,806,429 times

Advertisements

Seems reasonable to me. I paid for 100% of my kids college educations. If either one had taken more than 8 semesters (4 years), I would have cut them off. Pell Grants are more generous than "Mom and Dad" Grants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 08:24 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,005,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
You can receive pell grants all the way through college if you need to, or at least thats the way it used to be.

Most pell grants don't pay for full college, even an associates degree. They help to pay the tuition, but generally you've still got to take out student loans to pay for the rest of your tuition, school supplies, etc.
It used to be based off how much your family can hellp support you or something along those lines. I just posted a pdf of the changes in '12 reducing semesters you can qualify from 18 to 12. I guess that is what the issue is. That's plenty of time to get a degree IMO. Back in the day my parents made too much to qualify but didn't have any money saved to pay for school because it was too expensive, caught in the middle so I had to work my way through. That is unheard of by many today. Actually the "middle class" are the ones left out in the cold. Lot of folks make decent money and get by but can't afford the cost of school for their kids nowdays and they also can't qualify for grants and the like because they make too much money according to the government. I got one who's turning 16 this year and the cost of college has me wondering about robbing a bank or two. lol

Old 06-04-2012, 08:30 AM

100 posts, read 78,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
so true. Our millitary is the biggest welfare program going.
I don't understand your reasoning.

The military teaches a youngster discipline, teamwork, and responsibility. Additionally, it forces them to get their hands dirty at least in basic training, and gives them an appreciation of hard work that they wouldn't otherwise receive if they had everything paid for by their parents.

Not to mention, it also allows them to directly contribute to the well being of the United States, and perhaps subconsciously gives them a sense of allegiance to their country they may not otherwise receive if they had everything handed to them.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:40 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,005,733 times
Yes but that money being spent on defense could be redistributed so folks can go to college for twenty years all for free in the eyes of some.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:51 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
I'm having a hard time seeing the problem with this. 12 semesters is more than enough to finish any undergraduate degree. There are many, many deserving students who will put the money to good use. It shouldn't be wasted on people who clearly aren't motivated.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:53 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust Bowl View Post
I don't understand your reasoning.

The military teaches a youngster discipline, teamwork, and responsibility. Additionally, it forces them to get their hands dirty at least in basic training, and gives them an appreciation of hard work that they wouldn't otherwise receive if they had everything paid for by their parents.

Not to mention, it also allows them to directly contribute to the well being of the United States, and perhaps subconsciously gives them a sense of allegiance to their country they may not otherwise receive if they had everything handed to them.
I didnt go into the millitary and was able to learn those values without becoming a burden to the taxpayer.
allegiance to the country? or do you mean allegiance to the federal guv?
Our military hasnt been used to defend citizens freedoms for some time now, but it has been defending the interests of Washington DC. Not the same mission in my view.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:59 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Some college degrees take far longer than 6 years. Are they talking about 6 consecutive years, 6 overall years, what? Some people drop out of college for a year when they have a baby, then go back.

Why punish someone for trying to do the right thing?
6 years for Bachelor degree? Not by design. I've seen quite a few 5 year programs, but i'm pretty sure that 99% of degrees can be completed in 4 years, with the remaining being 5 year programs. In fact, many universities offer 5 year programs that mesh undergrad and graduate programs, effectively saving the student a year of studies (and cost) while coming away with a Master's degree. I agree with you that some people take a year off for various reasons, but I disagree that some degrees "take far longer than 6 years." I'd be interested in seeing the bachelor programs that are designed with this intent. Got any examples?

Old 06-04-2012, 09:00 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Honestly I don't see the issue with this revision. It will save a lot of money and I also feel that six years is enough time to get a bachelor's degree. Students can go part time and get a degree in six years.

Also Pell Grants do not apply towards Master's Degrees anymore so thinking that they would pay for graduate school is incorrect.

In regards to the military, I feel that it is a good route to get college paid for. Do I think it is an entitlement program? Not necessarily because it is a contribution to our country and the young people who join do put their lives on the line because they don't know if Washington will send them off to die for oil or some other commodity. I think a college education and some health benefits to take care of them when they are out of the service is a good trade off for the risk they take putting their lives on the line for our country and our beaurocrats.

Old 06-04-2012, 09:07 AM

100 posts, read 78,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
I didnt go into the millitary and was able to learn those values without becoming a burden to the taxpayer.
allegiance to the country? or do you mean allegiance to the federal guv?
Our military hasnt been used to defend citizens freedoms for some time now, but it has been defending the interests of Washington DC. Not the same mission in my view.
The US is a democracy. If you feel like the military is not being utilized the way you see fit, you should consider voting the current represenatives out of office.

I know the system is not perfect, but perhaps you should be more active or vocal in your opposition.

In my opininon, the military or jobs that are labor intensive teach a person that life is not easy and will make them realize how blessed they are if they manage to obtain an office job in the future.

I feel like it's hard for someone who's never had to experience working in the elements or doing hard and intensive manual labor to really appreciate those who either choose to work in those professions or are more likely, less fortunate and have no choice but to do that sort of work.

When you're in that situation, especially if your options are limited, it can feel like you're hopeless, considering that much of what you do is not respected by those who cannot relate. This is disconcerting when chances are those who work these jobs are working much harder for much less than those who have office jobs.

Old 06-04-2012, 09:45 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,530,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Is this what she's whining about??

"Reduction in the Maximum Number of Semesters:
Students currently may receive a maximum of 18 full-time semesters of Pell Grant awards. Starting on July 1, 2012, this will be reduced to 12 full-time semesters, and it will retroactively impact students who currently receive Pell and have exceeded 12 semesters. For students who are less-than full-time, the cap is applied proportionally to their enrollment. As a result, about 63,000 recipients will not receive an average award of $3,905 in 2012-13."

http://www.acct.org/pell%20eligibili...%20omnibus.pdf

Nobody can say if that's what the OP is fuming over. He/she didn't bother to let the rest of us in on the source of his/her rant, and he/she hasn't returned again.

I'd call this one a DBP, wouldn't you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies