Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 01:38 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,004,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
What the hell are you going to do about natural heating and cooling of the Earth? It has been going on since the beginning. Hint. You can't do a damn thing about it.
No, you can't.

However, let's say you are stuck in an outside elevator in mid-summer. As time goes by, the temperature inside the elevator will invariably rise. There is nothing you can do about it. You can't open a window and there is no A/C or vent.

Now, let's say that instead of it being just you, there are 20 other people stuck inside. Can you see that the temperature would rise MUCH faster to uncomfortable levels? Let's also say that some of these people decided - for whatever reason - that it would be a great idea to light a fire. Now how hot and miserable will you be? And how much faster will it be so darn hot that you can't stand it?

You see - that's the point: You are unable to do anything about heating and cooling cycles of the earth. But do you really have to be reckless and speed up the problem beyond anything that is reasonably necessitated by your existence?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 01:39 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,538,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
Sure, but there is no metaphoric asteroid....the earth is simply going about business as usual.

It froze over and thawed thousands of times before we had fossil fuels.
I wrote this when I was was a teenager. I love watching shows about Planet Earth. The life cycles of this place truly fascinate me.
Cycles

I gazed upon the land and witnessed birth
Of a tiny seed which grew upon the Earth
It grew into a flower, then it died
And how the mighty heavens cried
Then I gazed upon the land and witnessed birth
Of a tiny seed which grew upon the Earth

Our planet cycles through everything. What once was will be again.

Old 06-04-2012, 01:42 PM

23,862 posts, read 24,108,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Yep, you know more than all of the scientists in the entire world.
Good for you!

What's your science background again?
I thought that questioning authority was a GOOD thing.

What was your position on the Iraq war, before it started? Did you think that you knew more than all of the intelligence agencies in the entire world? Or did you just happily accept what they said as truth, without question?

You can't have it both ways.

Old 06-04-2012, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Warming Arctic Tundra Producing Pop-Up Forests
If a forest is "popping up," then there had to have been one there before. Seeds don't materialize out of thin air.

So if there was a forest there before, and then it became too cold, and now it's warming enough for a forest to grow there again, then I'd have to say that the point has been proven (again) that the earth is simply experiencing cyclical climate change. The fact that the forest is "popping up" proves absolutely nothing about man having anything to do with it.

Old 06-04-2012, 01:53 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,853,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
If a forest is "popping up," then there had to have been one there before. Seeds don't materialize out of thin air.

So if there was a forest there before, and then it became too cold, and now it's warming enough for a forest to grow there again, then I'd have to say that the point has been proven (again) that the earth is simply experiencing cyclical climate change. The fact that the forest is "popping up" proves absolutely nothing about man having anything to do with it.
But, but, where did the Garden of Eden come from?

Old 06-04-2012, 01:54 PM

4,255 posts, read 3,479,565 times
Quote:

A fiction writers immagination.

Old 06-04-2012, 01:56 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,004,515 times
Quote:
Seeds don't materialize out of thin air.
Wellllllll. In a sense, they do: Birds drop seeds. The wind carries seeds. And so forth...

Old 06-04-2012, 02:00 PM

Quote:
I have no idea. I suggest you ask someone who follows a religion that espouses its existence.

Old 06-04-2012, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post
Wellllllll. In a sense, they do: Birds drop seeds. The wind carries seeds. And so forth...
Enough undamaged, viable seeds to spring up an entire forest?

Nah. I'm going to stick with the idea that the seeds were already there. It makes much more sense. These plants are built for cold weather, and the seeds can lay dormant for a very long time and retain viability.

Old 06-04-2012, 02:15 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,136,097 times
Quote:
I thought that questioning authority was a GOOD thing.

What was your position on the Iraq war, before it started? Did you think that you knew more than all of the intelligence agencies in the entire world? Or did you just happily accept what they said as truth, without question?

You can't have it both ways.
There is a huge difference between science and authority, or didn't you know that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies