Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2012, 03:40 PM

4,991 posts, read 4,503,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
There is no desperation on my part to have answers to everything. Don't really care if someone proves that there is a God or not...If someone does not believe in creationism or fully in evolution...it does not matter to me. Where is the the profit say in having an atheist suddenly proclaim - Yes there is a God? It simply has no effect on anything- what we believe or do not believe does not alter the current state of affairs.

By believing in a God does not create a God- by not believing in a God does not make God disappear..we are but puny little microbes in the big scheme of things- and what the germs believe is again of no consequence.

CREATION "myths" don't have a lot to do with creation..they are speculations and colorful fairy tales-- Just as evolution is the attempted dissection of creation ------------The bottom line is all this came from some where- It was not some lightning strike into some primordial soup ....

Our best attempt to understand it all is to reverse engineer the expanding universe....crunch it down to a pin head then smaller till it is nothing...who knows...this big bang big crunch vibration may have taken place a katrillion times..

I believe that our concept of eternity is but a tiny little thought wave is some grand huge mind that is beyond the comprehension of us germs on this speck of dust. Some call it God- others call it a random mistake- both sides of this debate really don't and will never have a clue or the ANSWER...in the mean time this God thing gives us a reason to be- to ponder and to live out this interesting mystery...

Ancient knowledge just states that God always was- has no start and no end...This idea coincides with science and myth...science is in time always proven to be myth as we adapt and evolve- there is no end to evolution- and no end to creation- they are the same thing.
FALSE EQUIVALENCY ALERT!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, myth and science don't have a freaking thing to do with each other neither do creation and evolution. Evolution is science and creation is myth. One finds answers, the other makes them up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 03:44 PM

4,991 posts, read 4,503,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Evolution is also by God's hand.
Which god? Who's god? Proof?

Old 06-05-2012, 03:50 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Where did God come from? Didn't his existence have to have been caused, or did he somehow come from nothing?
Apparently, God isn't part of the set named "All that exists".

Old 06-05-2012, 03:52 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,804,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Why can't creationism and science co-exist?
Because that would be stupid?

Old 06-05-2012, 03:55 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,015,211 times
Quote:
I think they can and should.
There would be nothing more enjoyable to me than to see a panel discuss
angels and the anatomy of flight on the same stage

They should be taught in school side by side, and let the informed
decide

Do folks really think atheists are born that way

Old 06-05-2012, 04:16 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,813,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
I think they can and should.
There would be nothing more enjoyable to me than to see a panel discuss
angels and the anatomy of flight on the same stage

They should be taught in school side by side, and let the informed
decide
Side by side? What level? Which class? And who are the informed? The students with skulls full of mush?

Old 06-05-2012, 04:25 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,015,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
Side by side? What level? Which class? And who are the informed? The students with skulls full of mush?
I would say junior high, the same time they get more into biology etc.
Class: Evolution vs Creationsim - pretty simple title
The informed would be the students after they hear both sides.

Hey, I not only don't see a conflict, I don't understand why foks on
either side of this issue would be afraid of sharing their information
and knowledge. That is after all, how one learns a.k.a. the informed.

Skulls full of mush - well that could be considered an insult
I'd rather think of them as evolving creatures

Old 06-05-2012, 05:08 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,813,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
I would say junior high, the same time they get more into biology etc.
Class: Evolution vs Creationsim - pretty simple title
The informed would be the students after they hear both sides.

Hey, I not only don't see a conflict, I don't understand why foks on
either side of this issue would be afraid of sharing their information
and knowledge. That is after all, how one learns a.k.a. the informed.

Skulls full of mush - well that could be considered an insult
I'd rather think of them as evolving creatures
Junior High? You are very generous. That mush in their skulls starts doing what you suppose it is doing in upperclassman-level university courses and that is only after those minds have been informed at that level of education. That sounds more like an elective in a philosophy class and would most likely be just one section in the class, like Astronomy vs astrology, Chemistry vs Alchemy. Maybe we could teach both of those and let the chillren decide. You think that would fly? But you are pitting a bona-fide scientific field with an ideology (hence the -ism) so it wouldn't be in a science class - and in a BA program. We had an earth science degree at my university, but it was for a Bachelor's of Arts or Bachelor's in Education. Or, maybe a just a class such as a Survey of folk-science. That might be fun in a humanities department, but not in a Bachelor's of Science.

But the kids aren't ready to do that in JH. Recently we have seen some real encouraging results with a couple of high school students doing some incredible and really innovating advances in medicine that we have discussed in other areas of C-D, but these are truly the exceptions, and they do find a way. IIRC from my JH years, I took in 7th grade Environment, 8th grade Earth/Space Science, and 9th grade pre-chemistry where we learned remedial lab techniques. In the 7th and 8th grade levels, we were only learning what was known and information gathered solely through the scientific method, IOW, the latest science. Besides, that is all the time that was available. But we were too young to be able to process the how and why we (man) knew what we did. I started asking those questions in my Freshman college courses. And we had to take so many prerequisites just to get enough under out belts to even start thinking and evaluating the hows and whys to come to an "informed" conclusion.

Oh, and individuals do not evolve. Populations over time evolve.

Last edited by PanTerra; 06-05-2012 at 05:42 PM..

Old 06-05-2012, 05:11 PM

1,661 posts, read 1,392,657 times
Quote:
Creationism is voodoo. Science is science.

Old 06-05-2012, 06:52 PM

5,993 posts, read 3,731,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
Which god? Who's god? Proof?
I'm sure they can make up whatever "god" they want but you'll be waiting a LONG time on that proof part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies