Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 10:02 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,111,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
This country has had various ethnic and cultural groups since its very founding. I doubt most would have agreed to become "ONE" if they had to agree to give up their cultural or ethnic backgrounds.

Most people don't get that. Out of many-one, doesn't mean to adopt one culture, it means out of many cultures come one nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 10:16 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,845,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
Ok, I'll bite.

But what are the odds of someone being born in the USA and not speaking english?
As a teacher my wife has to deal with kids from families where English is not the language normally used in the home. The kids do not normally start out fluent in English.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:32 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,107,581 times
I agree if they want to come here and enjoy the perks of our nation they should learn how to speak English. If I went to live in Italy, then I'd learn Italian. But, in the scheme of life and all the things happening in the world today this isn't going to keep me up at night.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:33 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,845,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Most people don't get that. Out of many-one, doesn't mean to adopt one culture, it means out of many cultures come one nation.
They have the right to keep their culture and language if they so choose and still be part of one nation.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:51 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,111,393 times
Quote:
They have the right to keep their culture and language if they so choose and still be part of one nation.

Exactly. It was never assimilate or get out.

Old 06-05-2012, 11:08 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,318,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Yes, what it means that we all assimilate to American culture aka ONE. That doesn't mean that one can't practice their native culture and language at home.

Old 06-05-2012, 11:11 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,318,817 times
Quote:
This country has had various ethnic and cultural groups since its very founding. I doubt most would have agreed to become "ONE" if they had to agree to give up their cultural or ethnic backgrounds.
But no one is expecting anyone to "give up" there native culture and language. Just assimilate to American culture out in mainstream. What you do at home is your own business.

Old 06-05-2012, 11:39 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,667,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Some don't have a knack for music or learning new language- no matter how much time they spend in a new nation...My mother learned three languages...were as my dad- after 30 years in Canada had a very thick accent and his English never really developed. He knew enough to earn a living.

Where as my son who is 22 is a great musician with a good ear- He just married a girl from Chile...and his Spanish is great...Part was a desire to please his new bride and part was the fact that he took an interest - and the main part was that it was EASY for him...

The cold fact is that ghettos form- In Toronto there are people from China who have been here for 50 years who can barely speak any English- because the way they live - it's just not a needed.....stop picking on an old woman....I am sure she appreciates where she is...and yes learning never ends...it's just that some learn different things..I learn what I am interested in...I don't learn about things that are of no consequence. I still can't play poker- or chess...and still tie my shoes improperly..
As noted in your post it does take time to learn. Something she should have done during her 18 years here.

Also noted in your post, they rather not be apart of the larger society and assimilate. Becoming a citizen is becoming American, and becoming American is speaking English, because we have one language and that is English, one Flag which is American anything else is un-American.

Old 06-05-2012, 11:40 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,667,069 times
Quote:
what about what can they do for their country?

Being segregated is not helping the country.

Old 06-05-2012, 11:44 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,493,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
There is no requirement that the oath be taken in any particular language.
I didn't know this. I've been under the impression taking it in English was required. Thanks for the "I learned something today" moment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies