Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 08:07 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,290,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
He doesn't. You're not being jaded...that's just the simple truth. This whole thread is some agenda pushing garbage. As if it's not transparent enough for everyone to see.
You see a thread here whining about "blacks this, blacks that" and it's pretty much guaranteed to be a troll thread designed to attack either Blacks, Obama, liberals, democrats, or Hispanics
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 08:12 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKBLACKGUY View Post
Most white people want a level playing field with no unearned advantages but if we live in a world of white privilege.

How does that affect your notion of a level playing field ?

THE FACT IS

White people have a dirty little secret

Some of what you have is unearned. I think much of the fear and anger that comes up around discussions of affirmative action and this topic has its roots in that secret.

You walk through the world with white privilege.

What does that mean ? Perhaps most importantly, when apply for a job

You don't look threatening.

Almost all of the people evaluating you for those things look like you. They are white. They see in you a reflection of themselves, and in a racist world that is an advantage. You smile. You are white. You are one of them. You are not dangerous. You are not terrifying. Even when you get angry, you are cut some slack.

After all, you are white.

Some complain that affirmative action has meant the university and companies are saddled with mediocre minority professors but as Henry Louis Gates Jr. once pointed out, if affirmative action policies were in place for the next hundred years, it's possible that at the end of that time companies could have as many mediocre minority professors as it has mediocre white professors. That isn't meant as an insult to anyone, but is a simple observation that white privilege has meant that scores of second-rate white workers have slid through the system because their flaws were overlooked out of solidarity based on race.

White privilege is not something you get to decide whether or not you want to keep. Every time you walk into a store at the same time as a black man and the security guard follows him and leaves you alone to shop, you are benefiting from white privilege. There is not space here to list all the ways in which white privilege plays out in your daily life, but it is clear that you will carry this privilege with you until the day white supremacy is erased from this society.

Frankly, I don't think I will live to see that day; I am realistic about the scope of the task. However, I continue to have hope, to believe in the creative power of human beings to engage the world honestly and act morally. A first step for white people, I think, is to not be afraid to admit that you have benefited from white privilege. It doesn't mean you are frauds who have no claim to your success. It means you face a choice about what you do with your success
I am not white. I am Asian.

And the FACT of the matter is, that those blacks who are now unemployed, are just not unemployable.

And the FACT is that any black person I know or have worked with who speaks English properly and... has no ghetto mannerisms and... who has has a cheerful positive demeanor... AND a good work ethic has also never ever had a problem being employable or well paid for what they do. Employers DO want to hire blacks, but ONLY if they are going to be good employees and not entitle mentality slackers.

And why is it that even blindfolded, everyone can tell a black person by their voice and how they speak? Blacks need to start speaking like civilized employed and productive people. It's just not cool to speak Ebonics. And no employer wants to be represented by people who can't speak English properly.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:15 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,300,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I am not white. I am Asian.

And the FACT of the matter is, that those blacks who are now unemployed, are just not unemployable.

And why is it that even blindfolded, everyone can tell a black person by their voice and how they speak? Blacks need to start speaking like civilized employed and productive people. It's just not cool to speak Ebonics. And no employer wants to be represented by people who can't speak English properly.
If I spoke to you on the phone you'd have no idea that I'm Black in fact I've done business with several people in South Korea in the past couple of years and I love the look on their faces when they see me. They get over it quickly enough.

Not every Black person walks around speaking "Ebonics".

You statements are nothing more than a reflection of your biases, ignorance and prejudices.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:23 AM

4,050 posts, read 3,959,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
If I spoke to you on the phone you'd have no idea that I'm Black in fact I've done business with several people in South Korea in the past couple of years and I love the look on their faces when they see me. They get over it quickly enough.

Not every Black person walks around speaking "Ebonics".

You statements are nothing more than a reflection of your biases, ignorance and prejudices.
She also posted in the past that, "black people just don't look intelligent".
I've learned to ignore her b.s. from that point forward.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:26 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,145,484 times
Quote:
The reality is there are White Americans who if unemployment was 50% for them they would refuse to vote for a candidate that wasn't White.

So what's your point REALLY?
The difference is white people are smart enough not to put all their eggs in one basket and all vote for the same party. They're able to play the parties off of one another. Black people foolishly vote overwhelmingly democrat and what has it gotten them?

Old 06-05-2012, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
The difference is white people are smart enough not to put all their eggs in one basket and all vote for the same party. They're able to play the parties off of one another. Black people foolishly vote overwhelmingly democrat and what has it gotten them?
It's gotten them a hell of lot farther than the it would have gotten then with Barry Goldwater who opposed the 1964 Civil Rights Act. Ronald Regan who turned his back on Black Americans in the inner city, and George W. Bush Jr. who has the worst record of economic stewardship of any president since Herbert Hoover.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:33 AM

3,345 posts, read 3,074,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
You see a thread here whining about "blacks this, blacks that" and it's pretty much guaranteed to be a troll thread designed to attack either Blacks, Obama, liberals, democrats, or Hispanics
Why doesn't your party ever address the huge problems facing the inner city AA community then?

Yes, I know, it is the rights fault that Dems allow schools to fail, crack and gangs to run wild, families to break down etc. in the inner cities of America which are OVERWHELMINGLY DEMOCRAT....

Lets see how you spin yet another truth you do not want to hear....

Old 06-05-2012, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08 View Post
Why doesn't your party ever address the huge problems facing the inner city AA community then?

Yes, I know, it is the rights fault that Dems allow schools to fail, crack and gangs to run wild, families to break down etc. in the inner cities of America which are OVERWHELMINGLY DEMOCRAT....

Lets see how you spin yet another truth you do not want to hear....
Pot, kettle scenario here. You blame the Democrats for the problems of Black Americans living in the inner city yet Nixon, Ford, Reagan, Bush 41 or Bush 43 did absolutely NOTHING to address those problems either or address the overall poverty situation for ANY AMERICAN REGARDLESS OF RACE.

The undeniable fact of the matter is over the past 50 years when a Democrat has been in office the number of Americans living below the poverty level tends to go DOWN, when a Republican president is in office those levels either tend to be flat or they go UP.

Now add such Republican political strategies such as the "Southern Strategy" which is specifically targeted to play upon the prejudices of White Americans for the past 42 years and it's fairly easy to see why most Black Americans regardless of income don't really find the Republican Party too appealing.

Old 06-05-2012, 09:04 AM

3,345 posts, read 3,074,678 times
Quote:
Pot, kettle scenario here. You blame the Democrats for the problems of Black Americans living in the inner city yet Nixon, Ford, Reagan, Bush 41 or Bush 43 did absolutely NOTHING to address those problems either or address the overall poverty situation for ANY AMERICAN REGARDLESS OF RACE.

The undeniable fact of the matter is over the past 50 years when a Democrat has been in office the number of Americans living below the poverty level tends to go DOWN, when a Republican president is in office those levels either tend to be flat or they go UP.

Now add such Republican political strategies such as the "Southern Strategy" which is specifically targeted to play upon the prejudices of White Americans for the past 42 years and it's fairly easy to see why most Black Americans regardless of income don't really find the Republican Party too appealing.
The undeniable fact is that inner cities have tremendous problems and they are overwhelmingly Democrat, which is the point I made. I never was trying to make a point regarding Reps trying to fix these issues. It is the DEMS who SAY they are for these people..... yet problems are getting worse

Why don't Dems try and answer these problems?

I do like the deflection though.....

Old 06-05-2012, 09:06 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
What about the black community working to solve this problem instead? The black community needs to pull together and make themselves more attractive as an employee resource. And they can start by parents raising their kids to stop immersing themselves in ghetto rap culture and style, and instead working hard at their schoolwork. And the adults should focus on having a better work ethic.

There's good reason why Asians have a better reputation for being solid, reliable and hardworking employees. From what I observe at one of my jobs, there's no way I'd ever want to hire most of my black co-workers. They try to do the least amount of work possible and for some reason they feel that they deserve to eat their employee meal on company time. They even get together in clumps to discuss how to do the least amount of work. When the manager isn't watching them, they tend to stop working completely and just stand talking to each other or texting to friends on their phones, even though company policy forbids them to use their phones at work. All the other races at work have a much better work ethic than the blacks.

I have always felt that hard work should be rewarded. Those that are slackers aren't owed jobs. And I certainly don't want to work with slackers, especially if we are getting the same rate of pay.
Good post.

The opportunity that Obama has had to influence black people to work hard and to put in blacks a different spirit of pride of working hard and seeing the results of hard work have been wasted. He could have single handedly changed the course of the black community by aggressively tackling the issues that keep us down and in the ghettos. He could have been on par or greater than ML King.

The fact that not only are blacks (in general) not improving, but in a sense are going back to a 60's protest mindset is a total shame. We are better than this,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies