Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2012, 04:53 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,301,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Yup, Blacks have made themselve irrelavent politically except for rare scenario when turnout makes the difference.

I posted a thread about Romney's foray into West Philly. I think he was playing more to the Phlly suburbs than trying to get Black votes. He has to know it's a hopeless endeavor.
Actually with the declining population of White non-Hispanic people the Black vote becomes MORE RELEVANT that will become blatantly obvious in the next ten years. When the large number of older White non-Hispanic voters are no longer around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 04:54 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
You arent seriously comparing $50K from the 1980's, to $50K from 2008, and pretending its the same.. are you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
He has to see the flaw in his logic, It's ridiculous to even suggest that it is a statistically sound comparison.
The 2nd chart with the time series comparison is standardized in 2008 dollars.

Old 06-05-2012, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Actually with the declining population of White non-Hispanic people the Black vote becomes MORE RELEVANT that will become blatantly obvious in the next ten years. When the large number of older White non-Hispanic voters are no longer around.
The black percentage isn't expected to change. The irrelevancy will remain.

Old 06-05-2012, 05:03 PM

Quote:
The black percentage isn't expected to change. The irrelevancy will remain.
Your wrong and here's why;

In 2008 Barack Obama won the election with 43% of the non-Hispanic White vote.

As the percentage of non-Hispanic White voters decline and the proportion of other voters increase you will less of the non-Hispanic White vote to win an election. That makes other voting blocs include Black Americans more important.

By 2024 a candidate will probably be able to win a presidential election with just 35% of the non-Hispanic White vote if he can carry 90% of the Black American vote and 70% of the Hispanic American vote. Now which party is currently in the best position to do that?

Old 06-05-2012, 05:59 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,884,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
He has to see the flaw in his logic, It's ridiculous to even suggest that it is a statistically sound comparison.
Inflation has been low for over a decade now.

A lot of smart but financially illiterate people make that mistake (not realizing how huge an effect it has decade-to-decade even if the year-to-year changes have been small recently), give the guy the benefit of the doubt.

edit: on topic, from a larger strategic and game-theoretic perspective yes, the 'black community' (insomuch as an ethnic community is a coherent thing which can have wider political interests, which is debatable at best) throws away most of their political capital and influence by not swing voting, but, I don't think you can really argue convincingly that it would be in the interests of an individual democrat who happens to be African-American to vote for a republican just so they could honestly tell a pollster they did so if asked.

Old 06-05-2012, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Your wrong and here's why;

In 2008 Barack Obama won the election with 43% of the non-Hispanic White vote.

As the percentage of non-Hispanic White voters decline and the proportion of other voters increase you will less of the non-Hispanic White vote to win an election. That makes other voting blocs include Black Americans more important.

By 2024 a candidate will probably be able to win a presidential election with just 35% of the non-Hispanic White vote if he can carry 90% of the Black American vote and 70% of the Hispanic American vote. Now which party is currently in the best position to do that?
Wouldn't pop champagne bottles just yet. Presidents are elected via electoral college not popular vote and dont forget we have two other branches of government. Lastly there is no guarantee Democrats can get 70% of Hispanics they haven't received 70% of the Hispanic vote in a presidential election, ever.

Old 06-05-2012, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Wouldn't pop champagne bottles just yet. Presidents are elected via electoral college not popular vote and dont forget we have two other branches of government. Lastly there is no guarantee Democrats can get 70% of Hispanics they haven't received 70% of the Hispanic vote in a presidential election, ever.
Look that the biggest states in the country in terms of population and look how their demographics are changing.

No I'm not popping any champagne, just yet but if the GOP loses in 2012 they are going to have some serious problem winning presidential election using their current platform in the future.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:32 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Quote:
If I spoke to you on the phone you'd have no idea that I'm Black in fact I've done business with several people in South Korea in the past couple of years and I love the look on their faces when they see me. They get over it quickly enough.
And I can say the same for myself. My speaking voice is not at all what most people associate with an Asian person. And many times, listeners think that I learned my English over in the UK, it's just that formal plus my vocabulary is more extensive than the average American.

Quote:
Not every Black person walks around speaking "Ebonics".

You statements are nothing more than a reflection of your biases, ignorance and prejudices.
True. However you are greatly in the minority of blacks. And you know that from the reactions you've gotten from Koreans, and probably even more people than that. You know that your speech patterns are atypical.

And your opinions of my biases are you being overly defensive of your black culture which is causing you to have blinders on in regards to the truth. You know that the American black community as a whole is under educated and lacking in real life job skills.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:50 PM

4,428 posts, read 4,482,098 times
Default I Though Obama Was Going To Be Different. Look At Minority Unemployment.

In dismal jobs report, unemployment rate of minority workers rises - latimes.com

"Black unemployment now stands at 13.6%, up from 13% the month before; for Latinos, the unemployment rate rose to 11% from 10.3% in April."

Why should minorities stand strong with Obama when his policies are making life worse for them?

Old 06-06-2012, 08:59 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
In dismal jobs report, unemployment rate of minority workers rises - latimes.com

"Black unemployment now stands at 13.6%, up from 13% the month before; for Latinos, the unemployment rate rose to 11% from 10.3% in April."

Why should minorities stand strong with Obama when his policies are making life worse for them?
Because we know that Republicans' policies are far more damaging
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies