Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 11:18 AM

11,431 posts, read 18,991,955 times

Advertisements

BREAKING: Ninth Circuit will not rehear Prop 8 marriage equality case – LGBTQ Nation

If the SCOTUS refuses to grant cert, it looks like marriage equality will be restored in California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 03:11 PM

2,160 posts, read 1,954,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
BREAKING: Ninth Circuit will not rehear Prop 8 marriage equality case – LGBTQ Nation

If the SCOTUS refuses to grant cert, it looks like marriage equality will be restored in California.
I've been of the opinion that the USSC will do just that, because it is hard to imagine five votes to overturn the very narrow Ninth Circuit ruling which only currently affects the unique circumstances in California. Thus, I've doubted whether the conservative bloc could muster 4 votes to grant cert. What is there to gain, given that the USSC will start over with briefs and oral arguments, and could potentially issue a ruling such as Judge Walker initially issued at the District Court level?

But now I'm wondering of the will to grant cert won't come from the liberal bloc for precisely that reason...

Old 06-05-2012, 03:22 PM

30,306 posts, read 51,908,733 times
Good news!

Old 06-05-2012, 03:25 PM

813 posts, read 2,030,697 times
Awesome news! I bet SCOTUS will avoid this like the plague right now.

Old 06-05-2012, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesjow View Post
Awesome news! I bet SCOTUS will avoid this like the plague right now.
I don't see why. If they hear the case, it will be late this year or early next year. A decision would likely come next May/June/July, almost as far from the next national election as a decision can come. Almost perfect timing, really, for a potentially huge decision such as this.

Old 06-05-2012, 03:38 PM

813 posts, read 2,030,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Onions View Post
I don't see why. If they hear the case, it will be late this year or early next year. A decision would likely come next May/June/July, almost as far from the next national election as a decision can come. Almost perfect timing, really, for a potentially huge decision such as this.
Don't get me wrong. I want them to take it up because it's such a god awful case for the anti-same sex marriage side. I just don't see this Court tackling it at this juncture especially since I recall the Walker opinion being narrowly tailored to California.

Old 06-05-2012, 05:14 PM

58,958 posts, read 27,261,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post

Nothing the 9th circuit does, surprises me.

Old 06-05-2012, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Nothing the 9th circuit does, surprises me.
There is no reason to be surprised, period -- en banc re-hearings are very rarely granted by any Circuit Court of Appeals. Far less than 1% of Circuit Court of Appeals decisions are ever re-heard en banc.

Old 06-05-2012, 06:32 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,161,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Onions View Post
There is no reason to be surprised, period -- en banc re-hearings are very rarely granted by any Circuit Court of Appeals. Far less than 1% of Circuit Court of Appeals decisions are ever re-heard en banc.
Yes, they did as expected of most any court. I'm not sure if this is the case people want the SCOTUS deciding or not.

I'm guessing they will come down on equal protection but it's not going to be a stretch for them to come down on states rights.

Old 06-05-2012, 06:50 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,297,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Yes, they did as expected of most any court. I'm not sure if this is the case people want the SCOTUS deciding or not.

I'm guessing they will come down on equal protection but it's not going to be a stretch for them to come down on states rights.
But state's rights was NOT the original argument put forth in the original case. Using the Equal Protection clause by David Boles who argued the original case was a simple, elegant, and brilliant legal argument. The legal position of that argument is REALLY strong. If the SCOTUS rules on the legality of the decision as oppose to the politics of the decision my guess is it will be upheld.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies