Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 05:08 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,145,484 times

Advertisements

I bet if it was an illegal immigrant or some sodomite she would rent to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 05:10 PM

1,661 posts, read 1,393,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
I bet if it was an illegal immigrant or some sodomite she would rent to them.
"Sodomite"??

Laughing out loud.

Old 06-05-2012, 05:11 PM

716 posts, read 1,119,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Beebe View Post
Some vets are freakin' whackjobs. Perhaps he did not want a PTSD explosion or someone with a large cache of weapons in his building.
Yeah, and some accountants are freakin whackjobs. What is your point?

Also, the landlord is female. Try reading the article.

Old 06-05-2012, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatwoods View Post
Yeah, and some accountants are freakin whackjobs. What is your point?

Also, the landlord is female. Try reading the article.
My point is, regardless of the gender of the landlord, which is completely irrelevant, lots of military vets are whackjobs (far more so than accountants), prone to violence and some of them are PTSD timebombs, some collect (legally or illegally) large caches of weapons, making them an undesirable tenant.

Old 06-05-2012, 05:18 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
I am a conservative and I am consistent in my beliefs. I believe a PRIVATELY owned business has the RIGHT to sell, rent or do business to anyone and NOT do business with anyone they choose.

If you (collectively) have the right to choose where you do your business a owner should have the same right to choose who to do business with.

So much for your lame attempt to insult others who do not agree with you.
That is why I also thought it is a liberal law.

Old 06-05-2012, 05:26 PM

716 posts, read 1,119,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Beebe View Post
My point is, regardless of the gender of the landlord, which is completely irrelevant, lots of military vets are whackjobs (far more so than accountants), prone to violence and some of them are PTSD timebombs, some collect (legally or illegally) large caches of weapons, making them an undesirable tenant.
Nice broad brush attack, but no matter what your opinion, the article clearly says that what the landlord did is illegal. Also, this guy is in the process of becoming a firefighter, meaning he probably had to go through a psych eval and has little to no criminal record, so your idea that he "might be a whackjob" is probably unlikely.

Old 06-05-2012, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Nice broad brush attack, but no matter what your opinion, the article clearly says that what the landlord did is illegal. Also, this guy is in the process of becoming a firefighter, meaning he probably had to go through a psych eval and has little to no criminal record, so your idea that he "might be a whackjob" is probably unlikely.
Like you would know. There are plenty of whackjob firefighters, too.

MURDER--SUICIDE FIREFIGHTER SHOT AN KILLED WIFE THEN HIM SELF WALGREENS 58TH-ROOSEVELT LARGO 4/25/12 - YouTube

The Hour - Google News Archive Search

DeKalb County volunteer firefighter accused of killing wife kills himself after police chase | al.com

Firefighter convicted of killing wife with sword - San Jose Mercury News

Police: Lawton Firefighter Kills Wife, Commits Suicide in Elgin - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports |

Answers, then tears after Pernice admits killing wife - KansasCity.com

Old 06-05-2012, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Would you support not renting to a Muslim because they might be a terrorist? I can provide a similar list.
Depends on their references.

It's foolish to automatically assume someone is a good tenant because they are a veteran or a firefighter.

Perhaps the vet in question had no/poor references and/or rental history?

Perhaps the vet "creeped out" the landlord, who had a bad feeling about whether the tenant was of sound mind or character during their discussion of his service in the Iraq War?

It's an easy lawsuit to beat. All the landlord has to say is that the vet said/did something that led her to believe the potential tenant was disturbed, not of sound mind, perhaps prone to violence or somehow conveyed enjoyment of the violence inherent in war.

You don't have to rent to whackjobs.

Last edited by Ford Beebe; 06-05-2012 at 05:48 PM..

Old 06-05-2012, 05:48 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,210,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
I am a conservative and I am consistent in my beliefs. I believe a PRIVATELY owned business has the RIGHT to sell, rent or do business to anyone and NOT do business with anyone they choose.

If you (collectively) have the right to choose where you do your business a owner should have the same right to choose who to do business with.

So much for your lame attempt to insult others who do not agree with you.
The Supreme Court disagrees with you. You couldn't, for example, prohibit African Americans from doing business with you just because they're African American, or any other race for that matter. Yes, even if you're a private business.

Katzenbach v. McClung - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"[Plaintiff] claimed that the federal government had no right to impose any regulations on small, private businesses. [Plaintiff] ultimately lost."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies