Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2012, 11:31 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,398,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
No, they are taxing SS income as income. Not a tax on a tax. You pay a tax and later receive a benefit check. The check is income. Next you'll want public employees to not pay taxes on their paychecks becuz that money came from taxes????
How about public employees give up the right to strike since their salary is determined by the poiticians and paid by the taxpayers?

Ooops -- YAY WISCONSIN!!!!!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2012, 06:28 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,996,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Correct as far as it goes.

They would also be unconstitutional since the do not benefit everybody - the most basic requirement laid down by the Welfare Clause.
So according to you, not only is Social Security and Medicare a bad idea, they're also unconstitutional.

Good luck litigating that position.

But in any case, Social Security is a good deal for recipients.

What's the "Return" on Your Social Security Taxes? - CBS News
Quote:
If you retired last year as an average wage-earning man, for example, you could expect a lifetime benefit worth $417,000 in today's dollars on $345,000 in taxes. If you were a woman with the same work history, you could expect to collect $464,000 on the same taxes.

Old 06-08-2012, 06:59 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,216,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Didn't even read the essay at the link, did we?

Reading is fundamental.
I did, but wish thinking and b*tching about SCOTUS rulings that didn't go your way doesn't put you on the right side of THE LAW. YOU'RE WRONG becuz you on the minority side of every ruling. The CONSTITUTION world that way, if you're going to thump your chest with it when it goes your way, you're going to have to live with it when YOU'RE on the the wrong side.

Old 06-08-2012, 07:11 AM

24,813 posts, read 24,462,220 times
What's the "Return" on Your Social Security Taxes? - CBS News

If you're an average wage earner, you can expect to pay in about 420,000 dollars, and withdraw about 650,000.

Solves the question raised by the OP. Along with the security aspect of this investment, in that it must be there for you, it pays to have social security.

Old 06-08-2012, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
45 years ago was 1967. I was a first year teacher making $5000/yr. - just over $400/mo. There's no way I averaged $300/mo SS contributions over the course of 45 years.

As I said, if you are 62 years old or older, your SS contributions would not have made you a multimillionaire.
I run a spreadsheet last nite, using a high fica rate on a upper middle class wage starting in 1/1/1967. Adjusted wages throughout and fica at each increase. Assuming a 8% return, right thru the great recession the best you could hope for is about $275,000 in the 45 years. It would be 6/1/1981 before you'd have $10,000 saved, even with compounding. And it would be 2/1/2001 before you had $100,000 in your account.

Old 06-08-2012, 11:22 AM

102,346 posts, read 108,621,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Does anyone have the facts and figures on this? Ive often thought that someone is more likely to draw out of social security much more than what they pay into it during their career. Seems like a system that is destined for bankruptcy. Does anyone have estimates on this?
That problem in the past has been solved by demographics; there were always many more younger employed people paying into the system than there were older people drawing on it. Also, life expectancy was lower when the system was devised. Now life expectancy is higher, so the payouts last years longer than originally intended, plus the Baby Boom demographic bubble in combination with smaller family size compared to the first decades after the system was implemented are wreaking havoc with the system.

Another oft-overlooked factor is all the elderly legal immigrants who go right onto Social Security without ever having contributed a dime.

Old 06-08-2012, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
That problem in the past has been solved by demographics; there were always many more younger employed people paying into the system than there were older people drawing on it. Also, life expectancy was lower when the system was devised. Now life expectancy is higher, so the payouts last years longer than originally intended, plus the Baby Boom demographic bubble in combination with smaller family size compared to the first decades after the system was implemented are wreaking havoc with the system.

Another oft-overlooked factor is all the elderly legal immigrants who go right onto Social Security without ever having contributed a dime.
Explain how an elderly immigrant gets around the work requirements. That's a new one for me. I have never heard of someone getting SS without paying in fica for the required years. I'm thinking you got hoodwinked by a talking head spreading half truths.

Old 06-08-2012, 12:06 PM

16,784 posts, read 8,268,775 times
I think the sad fact is the numberof people who think that they will be able to live on SS alone. As large corps. and govt. lowers pension payout if you havent saved into some sort of retirement account you will need to be working for a longer time then you expected.

The demographics are also another reason why the Stock Mkt. is hanging around the way it is as the boomers move there retirement income out of equities and try to preserve what they have.

Thank you for the failed conservative economic theories which created this mess

Old 06-08-2012, 12:17 PM

102,346 posts, read 108,621,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
Explain how an elderly immigrant gets around the work requirements. That's a new one for me. I have never heard of someone getting SS without paying in fica for the required years. I'm thinking you got hoodwinked by a talking head spreading half truths.
Why are the elderly parents of immigrants allowed to immigrate and collect social security Income(SSI)? - Yahoo! Answers
http://www.ssa.gov/immigration/exten...Document Title

Old 06-08-2012, 01:02 PM

Yahoo answers? Really? FYI, your other link is bad, at least on this phone.

As for Yahoo!, this answer seems to counter your claim...

" The rules for non-citizens being eligible for Supplemental Security Income are pretty strict.

You must be legally in the United States and be blind or disabled on or before August 22, 1996 and have already been on SSI;

or you must be a legal permanent residence under the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) and have a total of 40 credits of work in the United States (in some situations a spouse’s or parent’s work also may count);

or be and active duty member of the U.S. armed forces;

or be a member of a federally recognized Indian tribe;

or be certain noncitizens admitted as Amerasian immigrants;

or be Cuban/Haitian entrants under the Refugee Education Assistance Act.

Some refugees and other noncitizens can get SSI for up to seven years.

It's so very hard to get SSI benefits, and with the very few ways that people can legally immigrate to the US, I don't think people are abusing the system. I am also comforted to know that people who've taken the necessary steps to be here legally will be taken care of in the event of a disabling illness or accident. When families fall apart because of a disability, the whole community can pay the cost. I also wouldn't want the US to start deporting people who are legally here because they are or have become disabled."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies