Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 02:42 PM

29,094 posts, read 25,996,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Though force seems extreme and unconstitutional, courts have apparently had no argument with the limit to which law enforcement has gone to force a DUI arrestee to provide a sample. In order to draw blood, courts have allowed police to place pillows over the heads of kicking and fighting DUI defendants; use stun guns after five to six officers held the DUI defendant down; restrain around the DUI defendant’s neck; and use sticks to subdue the DUI defendant.
I would consider such action to be an unjustified physical assault and take whatever action I deemed neccesary to defend myself and prevent an unconstitutional seizure of my blood or DNA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 02:45 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
There may be cameras in liberal NYC - but there aren't any in great prevalence where I live - and I will work very hard to keep it that way.
if you live in LA..there are cameras everywhere

Old 06-07-2012, 02:52 PM

29,094 posts, read 25,996,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
if you live in LA..there are cameras everywhere
A machine that records an image is much different then the collection of bodily fluid or genetic data - one is more intrusive then the other - and you cannot justify the forced collection of such things without amending the Constitution:

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the person or things to be seized".

- United States Constitution, 4th Amendment

My DNA is not public property - it belongs to me and me alone. If you want it - get my consent(fat chance) or get a judge to sign a warrant - and don't try to use the lame "reasoning" that my refusal to give consent inplies that I have "something to hide".

Old 06-07-2012, 03:20 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times
What about genology research? There are several companies who research your genome for a price. Ancestry is just entering the market but does not release the genetic breakdown to share with other sites for privacy concerns. This is becoming a popular way of finding lose relatives and family.

Would you do this knowing a complete breakdown of you exists?

Old 06-07-2012, 03:33 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,193,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruin Rick View Post
If you are not guilty of anything, you should have no objection to the police taking prints or DNA or blood from you. Only people that have something to hide would say no.
If I know I'm not guilty of anything, why would I even cooperate? What if the act of giving them DNA makes them suspicious of me?

There's only one instance where I've given my fingerprints, and that was to get my CCW license. If they want anything more than that they're either gonna need a warrant or promise me some pretty awesome superpowers or something.

Old 06-07-2012, 04:39 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,572,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
what do you have to hide?????
I have nothing to hide but that is so far from the point I really have to wonder about your concept of FREEDOM. It's a constant in world history. All governments no matter how democratic or not they are will always attempt to errode personal freedoms from the people. For example, right now in Canada we have a government that is seriously attempting to pass a law that allows them to access everyones internet history, WITHOUT A WARRANT. What complete nonsence that is. Not only does it show a complete disregard for Canadian's privacy it shows just how out of touch with the law the present government is. It's almost a certainty that any such law would be struck down by the supreme court as being unconstitutional. As far as gathering everones DNA goes, that is something right out of a novel like 1984.

Old 06-07-2012, 05:17 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
I have nothing to hide but that is so far from the point I really have to wonder about your concept of FREEDOM. It's a constant in world history. All governments no matter how democratic or not they are will always attempt to errode personal freedoms from the people. For example, right now in Canada we have a government that is seriously attempting to pass a law that allows them to access everyones internet history, WITHOUT A WARRANT. What complete nonsence that is. Not only does it show a complete disregard for Canadian's privacy it shows just how out of touch with the law the present government is. It's almost a certainty that any such law would be struck down by the supreme court as being unconstitutional. As far as gathering everones DNA goes, that is something right out of a novel like 1984.
In the unfortunately shortlived series Caprica, an artifical life form is created out of a man's dead child. He searches every record, every mention, scans her personal things, and remakes his daughter. With the willingness for people to put up the facebook page with their name and life laid out for everyone to see, it doesn't seem far fetched at all. Everyone who puts anything on the internet should be aware its stored away somewhere and a pretty good personality profile could be done of you without facebook. I draw the line at something which tells everyone my name and picture. I do get good things out of the interaction, but don't want to be recognizable to someone on the street.

If really want to do the Ancestry test because it would solve a puzzle where family stories don't match what I see others say, but I believe family even though any records have fallen through the trap door. But even if its a secure database, who says it can't be appended? I don't like the idea of handing over the very components of who I am to just anyone.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:31 PM

1,182 posts, read 1,139,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Excuse me? What about privacy issues, respect for the Constitution, and not being a tool for turning our republic into a police state? Your argument is the same argument used all the time to make creeping tyranny and erosion of liberty "palatable" to the sheeple.

"Live free, or die".
Your privacy is not a cover for you to do crimes. Everytime the police find ways to catch criminals, the criminals start screaming about "privacy". Not that they care about it, they just want to continue with their crimes and not get caught whether they are felonies or speeding and getting caught by speed cameras. If you law abiding, you don't have to worry about "privacy".

Old 06-07-2012, 08:33 PM

1,182 posts, read 1,139,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
If I know I'm not guilty of anything, why would I even cooperate? What if the act of giving them DNA makes them suspicious of me?

There's only one instance where I've given my fingerprints, and that was to get my CCW license. If they want anything more than that they're either gonna need a warrant or promise me some pretty awesome superpowers or something.
DNA will clear you if you are innocent.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:42 PM

45,201 posts, read 26,417,923 times
Lord knows agenda driven prosecutors and law enforcement officers would never tamper with evidence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies