Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 06:16 PM

994 posts, read 1,593,034 times

Advertisements

I don't see how it's so bad. To be honest, I'm wondering if the Union is better off breaking up simply because the States don't get along anymore. Sure, we could beef up Washington's power over the States even more but that sort of defeats the idea of being a free country (unless that's just a marketing jingle).

Who knows, there might be a revitalization of all the States if that happens. Why do people act like it's Doomsday if secession is even mentioned? Sure, some States will probably end up being dictatorships, if they can even get that right. But I would think that life moves on for 99% of the rest of the people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2012, 06:27 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,021,470 times
Why is it bad?

United States of America: 1861-1865.

Old 05-27-2012, 06:30 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,510,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Why is it bad?

United States of America: 1861-1865.
War is not a requirement for secession.

Old 05-27-2012, 06:35 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,674,786 times
Let's break up...I'm all for it.
I'm from WA.
Give us Oregon, California, and Nevada.
And we're good to go.

Old 05-27-2012, 07:02 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,021,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
War is not a requirement for secession.
Do you seriously think that if any states seceded today - that the rest of the republic would just let them? I acknowledge that it won't turn into anything like the Civil War - since circumstances are much different than in 1861 - but the Union will not be allowed to just disintegrate without resistance.

Old 05-27-2012, 07:07 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,510,115 times
Quote:
Do you seriously think that if any states seceded today - that the rest of the republic would just let them? I acknowledge that it won't turn into anything like the Civil War - since circumstances are much different than in 1861 - but the Union will not be allowed to just disintegrate without resistance.
Depends on what state, I suppose.

I wish one would try and set up a very small and limited government. I'd move there in a heart beat.

Old 05-27-2012, 07:10 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,568,864 times
No state will secede because they know they would loose all federal funding, all military backing and funding. Don't forget, where will all your goods come from. The militar can close your borders and you get nothing. You think you have high taxes now, just try to live with no federal funds and no military backing. One disaster hits your state and your state will be bankrupted.

Old 05-27-2012, 08:25 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,180,106 times
Quote:
Do you seriously think that if any states seceded today - that the rest of the republic would just let them?
Yes. You ain't got the military clout, and no one would stand for it in the 21st Century. If a bunch of bearded with a 6th grade education can hold off the US military for 10 years, what do you think educated serious motivated people, many of whom would be veterans could do?

And you don't think other countries would be interested in providing military, medical, humanitarian and financial assistance?

Better think again.

Secession is inevitable...

Mircea

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
No state will secede because they know they would loose all federal funding, all military backing and funding.
Uh, you got that backwards. Many States would be wealthier if they didn't send all their money to Washington.

The federal excise tax on gasoline? That goes to the State now, and now Washington. FICA taxes, income taxes....that all goes to the State and not to Washington.

Got ports? The State now collects the taxes tariffs and duties on imports, not Washington.

Let's see....hmmmm.....I create a duty free tax free tariff free Export Zone. How many companies in the US would be shipping their stuff to my new country to export tax free?

Lots of business for my State.

Oh, and corporate and business taxes, those all are collected by the State and not Washington.

Might wanna work on your math/economic skills there.

Quote:
Don't forget, where will all your goods come from.
Earth. Where do yours come from?

Quote:
The militar can close your borders and you get nothing.
You gonna shoot down cargo aircraft from Germany, France, Russia, China, Canada, Taiwan, Japan et al?

Really?

Good luck with that.

Quote:
You think you have high taxes now, just try to live with no federal funds and no military backing. One disaster hits your state and your state will be bankrupted.
Show me the math.

Show, don't tell. Show us the math.

Debunking...

Mircea

Last edited by CaseyB; 05-29-2012 at 05:13 PM.. Reason: language

Old 05-27-2012, 08:31 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,641,451 times
Some consulting firm (it may have been McKinsey) ran an exercise a while ago about the legal mechanics of a state or bloc of states leaving the US.

The main risk, as I recall, is that there would be no deal reached on how to apportion the new country's share of America's existing national debts and bond interest payments. That would lead to the Treasury becoming unable to issue new debt at an affordable rate, and a generalized financial collapse in the US, followed by an economic depression. Some debts would probably end up getting de facto repudiated, which would hurl the system into chaos.

Old 05-27-2012, 08:45 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,685,125 times
Breaking up is a ridiculous idea. We have a federalist system of government for a good reason. Give states more freedom, and that will solve a lot of the problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies