Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 10:20 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,475,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Sad that it only took one page for the partisan bickering to begin, so to get it back on topic, I actually agree with the OP! I find sites "of one mind" rather boring, and have also learned a LOT from this forum... my core principles haven't changed, but I learn new things about politics, laws & history almost every time I sign on here. Maybe some people think they already know everything, but the honest among us can admit there's always more one can learn - no matter your age or educational level.
I do agree that sites where everyone agrees with each other are boring. What I object to on this forum, and I would like to see stopped though I can't think of a way it could be done is this endless stuff that goes like this:

Poster A: Romney/Obama had a yard sign stolen last night in (insert name of city).

Poster B: Well Obama/Romeny had a yard sign stolen in (insert name of another city).

Both people act outraged to the hilt, the forum becomes very polarized, people start making personal attacks, and I usually just quit.

Also:

If a (Republican/Democrat) had done (XYZ), you'd see a dozen (liberals/conservatives) screaming about it! No one knows what "might have been".

[MOD CUT]

Last edited by Ibginnie; 06-07-2012 at 04:10 PM.. Reason: Please don't discuss moderation, even if it's your own.

Old 06-07-2012, 10:24 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,326,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I don't know how it's possible to learn anything in such a polarized, combative environment.
Well, I certainly don't read everything, so will have to qualify: Of the threads I do read (a minority, for sure), I always learn something - even from those with whom I disagree.

Old 06-07-2012, 10:27 AM

84 posts, read 56,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
I had been reading other forums lately. One of which was Democratic underground. And man, most other forums are full of people who think exactly alike, and they are offended when someone actually disagrees with them.
Welcome.

I've been to that other forum you speak of. Those people are very pompous and have a smarty-pants air about them. I hope you took a shower after logging off that forum.

Old 06-07-2012, 10:31 AM

84 posts, read 56,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
Um I don't think any forum, left or right, can handle different points of view. That is why they label them as such.

City-Data P&OC is special because most of the people that came here trickled in from the Location forums I suppose, from boredom of perusing the rest of the forum. This place is a dumping ground to bash your ideologies against others ideologies and learn nothing of value from. Except that you think the other side is consisted of idiots. This was created on purpose; a place where highly charged subjects can get "discuss" in an "open" forum. Others just come for the mayhem and foolishness of it.

The truth is that this forum is pretty much cut down the middle politically. It is just that conservatives tend to be the squeakiest wheel on this particular forum. A lot of stuff to get off their chest I suppose.
And yet here you are on POC, reading the posts and responding.

Remind me again who has issues?

Old 06-07-2012, 10:36 AM

20,262 posts, read 19,847,317 times
DU never fails to entertain. That bunch will give you the granite pizza if you even think about straying from the plantation.

If you mosey on over to conservativeunderground, they have a "best of DU forum. Lots of laughs.

Old 06-07-2012, 11:30 AM

14,856 posts, read 8,179,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scenester View Post
Welcome.

I've been to that other forum you speak of. Those people are very pompous and have a smarty-pants air about them. I hope you took a shower after logging off that forum.
I've been here on and off for years. I actually had found this website through a google search when I was trying to find out information on a move I had intended to make. Somehow I stumbled onto the political forum, and began posting in a few threads.

At the time, I really had nothing to compare to, because I had never really taken the time to have discussions in forums. Only discussions in life, and in chat rooms, or in video games. This forum gave me a place to discuss certain topics that were difficult to discuss in my real life.

I had gone to other forums over the years, but never really posted much. Either the forums registration or posting seemed cumbersome and unintuitive, or all the threads were just flooded with spammers writing some rhetorical partisan political drivel, or the forums were just too radical(which tended to ban you for just disagreeing with them). Basically, the forums felt pointless to me, because I wasn't learning anything or feeling like I mattered at all.

Maybe I'm just biased, but I do like this forum overall. I think there is enough balance to help keep some of the crazies in check. Most of the time there isn't just pointless spam in the threads. And there are enough highly intelligent and educated people here, to allow real discussions, which give me a nice challenge, and allow me to learn and adapt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
You don't find it interesting that people who are agreeing with you on this thread are hardcore right wingers versus people who are disagreeing with you, who tend to be center or liberal??

I do notice that liberals seem more likely to disagree with my assertions than conservatives. I can't draw any absolute conclusions though. Because from my experience, liberals seem to be a little more high-strung to begin with.

I think liberals tend to feel like they have to fight more, because their ideas tend to not be represented already and have never been represented. So liberals are really out to change hearts and minds. While conservatives tend to just wish liberals would stop trying to rock the boat so much, or wish we could go back to policies that they believe made more sense.

And which, I can understand the liberal viewpoint. When you are arguing for change, it is very difficult to convince people of the merit of such a change. Since generally, there isn't much to compare it to, so you have to try much much harder to explain things. Most of the time, you really have to guide people through a long logic pathway, giving them massive amounts of information along the path, hoping that if they reach the end, they can only come to the same conclusion as you did.

From a conservative viewpoint, you simply say, we used to do this or that, and it worked. We changed it, now it doesn't work, and here are some statistics to show that it doesn't work.

Old 06-07-2012, 11:40 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,379,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
I'm outnumbered by conservatives on here by 10 to 1, easily, probably more than that.

Feelings are not facts. The forum leads hard right. Fox news has more balance and broader political leanings.
That's because you are so far to the left that just about everyone is a conservative from your perspective.

Old 06-07-2012, 12:19 PM

30,286 posts, read 51,833,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I've been booted and banned from so many politcal forums that i've lost count. 100% of those forums had turned into liberal cesspools who are not intersted in political debate or opposing viewpoints. I still lurk quite a bit because I like to see what the enemy is plotting. Fortunatately, i've come to the decision that the majority of liberals are low on intellect. It used to frustrate me that they were so obtuse, but now I realize that they can't help it. Liberalism is a mental disease.
Riiiiight... but conservatives are open-minded, willing to listen, and never get angry or obtuse about opposing views. And if you believe that, I have a nice bridge in San Franciso to sell you! Your post (and a few others) is the exact reason I'm an independent - as it seems blind partisanship is the real mental disorder in this country.

P.S. Can't you guys a get new tag line already? This polarizing and inflammatory type of speech is hurting our country, and I wish more people could take off the blinders and attempt to find middle/common ground... wishful thinking, I know.

Old 06-07-2012, 12:54 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,642,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
as it seems blind partisanship is the real mental disorder in this country.
Conservatism isn't political nor is it partisan. It's a mindset and a lifestyle. It becomes political only when discussing a political figure with a like mindset.

Conservatives are far more likely to live and let live as long as the offender doesn't do it in their faces. On the other hand, liberals, in spite of the way they like to think of themselves, are far more inclined to think if they don't like something, nobody should like it. Guns are a prime example. They can't accept someone with a carry permit wearing a gun to, oh, say Target. I guess 'carry' is a difficult word to understand.

Homosexuality is another example. Conservatives don't much give 2 hoots what people do behind closed doors. Homosexuals, on the other hand, seem to think they have no legitimacy unless they're parading and waving flags.

And so forth..........

Edit to add; I flipped over to another thread that points out exactly what I'm saying.

Gays are mad because Romney is moving in next door.....................
//www.city-data.com/forum/elect...l#post24640298

Last edited by gizmo980; 06-07-2012 at 01:51 PM.. Reason: That term is not allowed here

Old 06-07-2012, 01:03 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,624,812 times
Nice post, Redshadowz.

I got kicked off of the Democratic Underground forum - twice! The first time was around 2005 when I said I didn't think Hillary Clinton should run for President because she was too divisive. That's all it took. I was attacked, and by the next day, my account had been deleted.

The second time it happened, I was defending SUV ownership. I got the usual onslaught of attacks that said I'm killing the planet, I'm greedy, I'm a Republican, etc. Again, by the next day, my account was deleted.

I also got booted from the Free Republic site. There was a discussion about gays, and I said that a lot of the posters sounded hateful (which they clearly were). That's all it took, and I was deleted.

Although I usually feel more comfortable with Democratic positions, I'm a lot more open-minded than I used to be - thanks to this forum. I changed my voter registration to "Decline to state" a couple of years ago. I think I'm now too independent to pledge my allegiance to any political party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.