Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 01:14 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,084,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Nice post, Redshadowz.

I got kicked off of the Democratic Underground forum - twice! The first time was around 2005 when I said I didn't think Hillary Clinton should run for President because she was too divisive. That's all it took. I was attacked, and by the next day, my account had been deleted.

The second time it happened, I was defending SUV ownership. I got the usual onslaught of attacks that said I'm killing the planet, I'm greedy, I'm a Republican, etc. Again, by the next day, my account was deleted.

I also got booted from the Free Republic site. There was a discussion about gays, and I said that a lot of the posters sounded hateful (which they clearly were). That's all it took, and I was deleted.

Although I usually feel more comfortable with Democratic positions, I'm a lot more open-minded than I used to be - thanks to this forum. I changed my voter registration to "Decline to state" a couple of years ago. I think I'm now too independent to pledge my allegiance to any political party.
LOL....I was bestowed the title of "Earth **cker" on a (liberal) political forum once for proudly proclaiming that we have 4 SUV's and plan to have an SUV in my garage until the end of time. Yeah, that really riled them up. That's how they referred to me for two whole days before I was booted. LOL

Old 06-07-2012, 01:56 PM

30,286 posts, read 51,837,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Conservatism isn't political nor is it partisan. It's a mindset and a lifestyle. It becomes political only when discussing a political figure with a like mindset.

Conservatives are far more likely to live and let live as long as the offender doesn't do it in their faces. On the other hand, liberals, in spite of the way they like to think of themselves, are far more inclined to think if they don't like something, nobody should like it. Guns are a prime example. They can't accept someone with a carry permit wearing a gun to, oh, say Target. I guess 'carry' is a difficult word to understand.

Homosexuality is another example. Conservatives don't much give 2 hoots what people do behind closed doors. Homosexuals, on the other hand, seem to think they have no legitimacy unless they're parading and waving flags.

And so forth..........

Edit to add; I flipped over to another thread that points out exactly what I'm saying.

Gays are mad because Romney is moving in next door.....................
//www.city-data.com/forum/elect...l#post24640298
Yes, there is a difference between liberal vs conservative and Democrat vs Republican, but either way I think you know what I meant... and NEITHER side is any less guilty of "blindness" than the other. We can bicker about it back & forth, but nobody will ever admit they are wrong and the other side is right. Being a bit more centrist and Independent in terms of party affiliation, I guess I'm able to be somewhat more neutral in how I view these debates - but even I have trouble listening when I'm opposed to a POV, and it's rare for any debate to end with me switching opinions. Am I the only one willing to admit that, or what? I won't suggest that people should change their principles or anything, but at least some civilized discourse free of generalizations and name-calling would be a start.

Funny how both sides claim to believe in the concept of "live and let live," all while telling other people how to live their lives. From the conservatives' insistence upon keeping homosexuals & women down and pushing religion into our government, to the liberals wanting to control what we eat and drive, nobody seems to be very good at minding their own business! And yes, that especially includes you on the subject of homosexuals. Personally I don't give one patooty what you eat, smoke, or drive, if you carry a registered firearm, who you pray to if anyone, who you want to marry/date, etc - which is why I reject both of the major parties, as both seem incapable of staying out of my life.

Anyway, this isn't what the OP is about, so we should get back on track here... I think this forum is more balanced than most, but I guess perspectives will vary.

Last edited by gizmo980; 06-07-2012 at 02:38 PM..

Old 06-07-2012, 02:03 PM

8,145 posts, read 6,520,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
LOL....I was bestowed the title of "Earth **cker" on a (liberal) political forum once for proudly proclaiming that we have 4 SUV's and plan to have an SUV in my garage until the end of time. Yeah, that really riled them up. That's how they referred to me for two whole days before I was booted. LOL
That would be a great screen name!

Old 06-07-2012, 02:04 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,381,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Nice post, Redshadowz.

I got kicked off of the Democratic Underground forum - twice! The first time was around 2005 when I said I didn't think Hillary Clinton should run for President because she was too divisive. That's all it took. I was attacked, and by the next day, my account had been deleted.

The second time it happened, I was defending SUV ownership. I got the usual onslaught of attacks that said I'm killing the planet, I'm greedy, I'm a Republican, etc. Again, by the next day, my account was deleted.

I also got booted from the Free Republic site. There was a discussion about gays, and I said that a lot of the posters sounded hateful (which they clearly were). That's all it took, and I was deleted.

Although I usually feel more comfortable with Democratic positions, I'm a lot more open-minded than I used to be - thanks to this forum. I changed my voter registration to "Decline to state" a couple of years ago. I think I'm now too independent to pledge my allegiance to any political party.
I got deleted from Huffington Post before their AOL merger. I never said anything that violated their TOS but my conservative views were simply not welcomed and my posts would get flagged. I guess after a number of flags they just delete you.

Old 06-07-2012, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I do agree that sites where everyone agrees with each other are boring. What I object to on this forum, and I would like to see stopped though I can't think of a way it could be done is this endless stuff that goes like this:

Poster A: Romney/Obama had a yard sign stolen last night in (insert name of city).

Poster B: Well Obama/Romeny had a yard sign stolen in (insert name of another city).

Both people act outraged to the hilt, the forum becomes very polarized, people start making personal attacks, and I usually just quit.

Also:

If a (Republican/Democrat) had done (XYZ), you'd see a dozen (liberals/conservatives) screaming about it! No one knows what "might have been".
Yeah, that stuff does get old and childish after a while... another one is "Look at what this conservative/liberal is doing," which is inevitably followed by "Why aren't you outraged about THIS random liberal/conservative who did something remotely similar once?" I don't know about the rest of you, but I simply don't have the time to read everything every public figure has ever said - and you're allowed to have an opinion about one incident, without having to publicly express your opinions on every other related incident!

If somebody said they liked Round Table Pizza, I bet somebody else would immediately reply with "Then why aren't you picketing Domino's, if Round Table is so great?" Uhhh, maybe because their love for one is not dependent on hating the other?

Quote:
Yes, those of us who have gotten infractions for minor offenses while others continue to post on and on after making huge violations of the TOS know that! Someone outed a "rightie" for saying "Don't respond, report" a while back.
If you feel anything is being handled unfairly, you can always PM a mod or administrator to voice your concerns. But keep in mind, only moderators can actually see what has been deleted/infracted (outside of your own posts) - so you might not be aware of how things are being handled, and it's probably more fair than you realize.

Old 06-07-2012, 02:26 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,488,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I got deleted from Huffington Post before their AOL merger. I never said anything that violated their TOS but my conservative views were simply not welcomed and my posts would get flagged. I guess after a number of flags they just delete you.
Here's a good one:

I haven't been banned from NPR's comment line (yet), but one day there was an article on their website about "Alcholidays". Several were mentioned, eg St. Patrick's Day, Cinco de Mayo (which was coming up), etc. The assertion was made that we in the US just celebrate holidays to drink. Someone asked, "Why not celebrate Bastille Day? The French gave the world democracy and they like to drink wine." (I am paraphrasing.) I replied (again, also paraphrasing but this is very close) "Maybe because we beat them to it by 13 years." My post was deleted as "not meeting NPR's standards"! Now my daughter said maybe "beat" is a word that just doesn't make it through their filter, but I find that hard to believe.

Old 06-07-2012, 02:27 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,789,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
If you feel anything is being handled unfairly, you can always PM a mod or administrator to voice your concerns. But keep in mind, only moderators can actually see what has been deleted/infracted - so you might not be aware of how things are being handled, and it's probably more fair than you realize.
It's not, the right wingers can violate TOS non-stop, post nasty personal attacks and racist comments, troll/hijack threads, and next to nothing will be done about it, but anyone that isn't on the hard right will get the whip cracked at even the most minor issue. It's pretty well know how heavily biased this forum is

Old 06-07-2012, 02:37 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,119,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
I'm outnumbered by conservatives on here by 10 to 1, easily, probably more than that.

Feelings are not facts. The forum leads hard right. Fox news has more balance and broader political leanings.
I agree 100%. This forum is so far to the right it would make Dick Cheney blush…

Old 06-07-2012, 02:37 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,488,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
If you feel anything is being handled unfairly, you can always PM a mod or administrator to voice your concerns. But keep in mind, only moderators can actually see what has been deleted/infracted (outside of your own posts) - so you might not be aware of how things are being handled, and it's probably more fair than you realize.
I really, really wish it worked that way. I'm not keeping track of how many people get posts deleted, etc. I do know, however, that I have been infracted and what for.

I know that there are gray areas. However, there are many times when someone posts a blatant personal attack, or some other violation of the TOS. Most of the times, nothing happens when these posts get reported. Sometimes they get edited or deleted. But the poster is back in five with more.

Old 06-07-2012, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
It's not, the right wingers can violate TOS non-stop, post nasty personal attacks and racist comments, troll/hijack threads, and next to nothing will be done about it, but anyone that isn't on the hard right will get the whip cracked at even the most minor issue. It's pretty well know how heavily biased this forum is
Again, this is something you should be discussing in private or on the "About the Forum" sub-forum. But if things were really so imbalanced here, why do we have people from BOTH sides constantly calling bias? Hmmmm, that's weird.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.