Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 01:56 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,908,581 times

Advertisements

Texas highway would be the first to allow 85 mph speed limit | The Lookout - Yahoo! News

I have mixed feelings about this.....

I think it's good because *I* can drive 85 safely...

some other things bother me however...

- People still text while driving at an alarming rate..letting them drive 85 is a risky proposition....

- People tend to drive faster than the speed limit anyway...most officers give a little bit of a "buffer" before they decide to pull you over... 85 MPH might call for police to be way more stringent....But this wouldn't dissuade anybody from trying to push the envelope a little, IMO...

- Conventional wisdom would lead me to believe that there would be a greater magnitude of casualty across the board....for no other reason than you would have EVERYBODY driving 85 as mandated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 01:58 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,465,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
Texas highway would be the first to allow 85 mph speed limit | The Lookout - Yahoo! News

I have mixed feelings about this.....

I think it's good because *I* can drive 85 safely...

some other things bother me however...

- People still text while driving at an alarming rate..letting them drive 85 is a risky proposition....

- People tend to drive faster than the speed limit anyway...most officers give a little bit of a "buffer" before they decide to pull you over... 85 MPH might call for police to be way more stringent....But this wouldn't dissuade anybody from trying to push the envelope a little, IMO...

- Conventional wisdom would lead me to believe that there would be a greater magnitude of casualty across the board....for no other reason than you would have EVERYBODY driving 85 as mandated.
Testing a speed that is slower than I and my fellow commuters drive on the local Interstate?

[that's amusing]

Old 06-07-2012, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
Testing a speed that is slower than I and my fellow commuters drive on the local Interstate?

[that's amusing]
Sure, I drive well over the speed limit as well... but it's a whole different ball game when EVERYBODY is doing 85

Old 06-07-2012, 02:02 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times
Quote:
Sure, I drive well over the speed limit as well... but it's a whole different ball game when EVERYBODY is doing 85
Which is only 5 mph higher than an extended stretch of I-10 and I-20 in western Texas where the posted speed limit is 80 mph. Many urban freeways in Dallas area now have posted speed limit of 70 mph.

And this is how they do it in Germany. We're talking 75 mph belonging to the extreme right lane there.

Old 06-07-2012, 02:04 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,827,481 times

Sammy Hagar - I Can't Drive 55 - YouTube

Old 06-07-2012, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Which is only 5 mph higher than an extended stretch of I-10 and I-20 in western Texas where the posted speed limit is 80 mph. Many urban freeways in Dallas area now have posted speed limit of 70 mph.

And this is how they do it in Germany. We're talking 75 mph belonging to the extreme right lane there.
I believe the US has a higher frequency in accidents...but the Autobahns is notorious for some of the most gruesome ones...it's just inherent at that high of a speed.

Old 06-07-2012, 02:08 PM

Quote:
I believe the US has a higher frequency in accidents...but the Autobahns is notorious for some of the most gruesome ones...it's just inherent at that high of a speed.
I don't think accidents at even 70 mph would be pretty, much less 80 mph (already posted speed limit), or 85 mph. If anything, it just might deter people from texting while driving. Besides, I see far more accidents at lower speed limits/slower traffic.

Old 06-07-2012, 02:08 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
the average speed on american highways (outside of major city limits) is around 80 to begin with

so who cares

why nnot do like germany and the Autobaun...NO SPEED LIMIT except in city zones

Old 06-07-2012, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
the average speed on american highways (outside of major city limits) is around 80 to begin with

so who cares

why nnot do like germany and the Autobaun...NO SPEED LIMIT except in city zones
Well, that will hurt the bottom line for insurance companies and their representatives in state legislatures, as well as a revenue source for state and local governments.

Old 06-07-2012, 02:12 PM

180 posts, read 475,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post

But people in Europe are more cautious drivers.

I also have mixed feelings. If this is going to be done, rules for people going even one mile per hour slower than 85 need to stay to the right needs to be strictly enforced. Thats kind of how it's done in Germany and they have a very safe record with their Autobahn.

I also think this would kill gas mileage even more in a person's car.

Last edited by tonyurban; 06-07-2012 at 02:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies