Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 07:38 AM

151 posts, read 270,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
I'll give you a hint in return - addicts already know they have a problem. They're addicted, not stupid.
However lets look at it this way If you raise a child allowing them to get addicted to something and you tell that child that they are fine as they are and that its not their fault they are addicted then you are making it much harder for that child to believe that they can change.

A classic example of this is religion where children can be raised to believe unproven theories and when they are older no amount of convincing can make them disregard these theories even if those theories are proven to be incorrect (classic example, human evolution)

Old 06-12-2012, 07:42 AM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xzane View Post
Then please explain to me why before junk food and home entertainment was mainstream generations ago we did not have an obesity problem?

Please also explain to me why there is no obesity problem in many other country's such as Amsterdam where junk food is not so mainstream and everyone loves to cycle?
You answered your own question. Junk food breeds it's own problems. In countries where they eat healthily from the start, and don't get on this treadmill of eating crap and then craving it, the obesity problem is far less.

If we cycled everywhere we'd probably not have gotten to this point either.

But that genie is now out of the bottle.

And unfortunately a lot of the same people that look down upon the obese also scream blue bloody murder if you try and encourage people to ride a bike or make junk food less appealing and/or accessible.

Russia has an extremely high concentration of alcoholics. Wonder why that is? Half of Russia's deaths in the 90's were from alcohol related illnesses.

Alcohol, drugs and certain kinds of foods are capable of causing addiction in the human brain. We need to be more cognizant of that, and use it to teach people how difficult it is to stop once one is caught in that trap.

Old 06-12-2012, 07:46 AM

Quote:
However lets look at it this way If you raise a child allowing them to get addicted to something and you tell that child that they are fine as they are and that its not their fault they are addicted then you are making it much harder for that child to believe that they can change.

A classic example of this is religion where children can be raised to believe unproven theories and when they are older no amount of convincing can make them disregard these theories even if those theories are proven to be incorrect (classic example, human evolution)
Where did I say that being addicted or obese is fine? It's not fine, it's a death sentence. Recognizing a problem is not condoning it. It's understanding that there are other factors to take into consideration in treatment beyond "they have no willpower."

It's not making it harder to believe you'll change. Once you take away the addictive substance and abstain from it for a while, and let the brain start functioning without it's influence, it's much easier for the person to see what they can do to change their lifestyle. (Although relapse prevention is a huge part of treatment.)

Old 06-12-2012, 07:48 AM

Quote:
unfortunately a lot of the same people that look down upon the obese also scream blue bloody murder if you try and encourage people to ride a bike or make junk food less appealing and/or accessible.
Well I am not this kind of person

Quote:
Alcohol, drugs and certain kinds of foods are capable of causing addiction in the human brain. We need to be more cognizant of that, and use it to teach people how difficult it is to stop once one is caught in that trap.
I hate to repeat myself but the first step is that the person has to admit that they have a problem because if they do not admit that they have a problem they will never be open to help

Old 06-12-2012, 07:48 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:

you are mixing apples and oranges for heaven sakes.

Old 06-12-2012, 07:52 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
@tulani.

So let me get this straight, you tock your son to the doctors and ingnored his advice and still blamed the thyopid? Wow to ignore doctors advice like that and tell your son that "it's not his fault" makes you a very bad perent. I bet you ignored the doctors advice because you just could not bear the gulit that maybe it is your fault your son got fat. I thank the stars that I never had a selfish lazy mom like you, thank god my perents did not buy in to my nagging for junk food, thank god my perents pushed me to exersice. Yes I hated my perents at the time when they did not spoil me but they made me in to the fit and healthy man I am today. Your son now has a lifetime of rejection and health problems because you just could not listen to your doctors advice because you were selfish and did not want to feel gulit for what you did to your son. Alowing your child to become fat and ingnoring doctors advice is just plain child abuse you sick sick excuse for a failed perent. For shame!

P.s. How many times do I have to tell you that even people who have the worse case of thyopid problems are able to maintain a healthy weight and this claim can be caked up by science and the 1000's of people who would have had the same problem as your son but were able to maintain a healthy weight even without pills.
wow, is everyone supposed to take everything you say as the gospel truth? BTW, I happen to have a thyroid problem and my doctor has put me on meds. This has been as issue for me, off and on since high school. Does it affect my weight? I do not know, but pills do help in many cases. So, what you think is fact, might be just your opinion.

Nita

Old 06-12-2012, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Where did I say that being addicted or obese is fine? It's not fine, it's a death sentence.
I agree with you on this

Old 06-12-2012, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
wow, is everyone supposed to take everything you say as the gospel truth? BTW, I happen to have a thyroid problem and my doctor has put me on meds. This has been as issue for me, off and on since high school. Does it affect my weight? I do not know, but pills do help in many cases. So, what you think is fact, might be just your opinion.

Nita
Nope but you cant argue with the thousands of people out there whom have a thyroid problem but are still able to maintain a healthy weight with healthy exercise and an active lifestyle

Old 06-12-2012, 07:55 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,003,340 times
Quote:
Then please explain to me why before junk food and home entertainment was mainstream generations ago we did not have an obesity problem?

Please also explain to me why there is no obesity problem in many other country's such as Amsterdam where junk food is not so mainstream and everyone loves to cycle?
This has already been explained by other contributers to this thread. I'll repeat what others have said from my own point of view. Only recently has home entertainment exploded into the 24 hour mecca that it is. As recently as the 1980s (when I was a kid) we played outside as long as we possibly could. Now, no problem exists in a vacuum. Junk food was plentiful then, but the outlets of media were limited, limiting the means for junk food producers to advertise. Furthermore, the onset of video and computer games as a mainstream hobby further enables consumption of junk food. What do you do when you are watching TV or playing a video game? Drink a coke and have a bag of chips. The venue for junk food consumption is greater now than it was in the past, hence the INCREASE (not to be confused with "arrival") of the problem. It's not like obese people did not exist before the 1980s, after all. I believe that our infatuation with television and video games is just as much a culprit as our infatuation with junk food. They go hand in hand.

Furthermore, just because one is not "obese" does not mean they are a picture of health. Have you ever heard the term "skinny fat?" It applies to more people than you think. They don't LOOK overweight, but they are in no better shape or condition of health than many who are overweight. Once again, I see video games as being a major contributer here. Oh sure, that kid can beat everyone on his Madden NFL game, but can he actually throw a real football?

Obesity is a condition to deal with, no doubt. But as I keep saying, it is only one part of the problem. To ignore the other factors at play is ignorance. In some cases, willful ignorance.

Old 06-12-2012, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Well I am not this kind of person

I hate to repeat myself but the first step is that the person has to admit that they have a problem because if they do not admit that they have a problem they will never be open to help
Okay fine. They admit they have a problem. Now what?

Anybody who's drinking a liter of vodka a day or weighs 500 pounds knows they have a problem.

The thing is, they think there's no hope because they've tried many times to willpower themselves out of it and have found themselves failing by 8 am.

How about changing it to "We know this is near nigh impossible for you to fight on your own, we have some solutions" instead of "Tell me you have a problem."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies