Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 08:43 PM

4,684 posts, read 4,587,439 times

Advertisements

House Republicans agree to vote on bill to raise debt limit for 3 months - The Washington Post

Quote:
Under the bill, Republicans will seek to raise the debt limit to allow government borrowing through mid-April — long enough, they say, to give both chambers time to pass a budget for the next fiscal year. If either chamber failed to adopt a budget by April 15, that chamber’s members would then have their congressional pay withheld.
Another "stop me before I kill again" provision like sequestration, designed to force Congress to do what it should do but can't. Except this one has no chance of actually being passed - neither the Senate nor the White House will sign off on it when they know they don't need to give the GOP anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2013, 08:57 PM

18,665 posts, read 20,023,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarian View Post
House Republicans agree to vote on bill to raise debt limit for 3 months - The Washington Post

Another "stop me before I kill again" provision like sequestration, designed to force Congress to do what it should do but can't. Except this one has no chance of actually being passed - neither the Senate nor the White House will sign off on it when they know they don't need to give the GOP anything.
after Plan B from Outer Space, you would have thought they would have learned.

Old 01-18-2013, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
after Plan B from Outer Space, you would have thought they would have learned.
I think they're just desperate at this point. They want to have a revolution and drag Obama to the guillotine - they know their primary voters expect them to have a revolution and march Obama's head around on a pike. But instead of playing the hapless Louis XVI to their Jacobins according to the script, the President keeps outwitting them, exposing their political frailties and making them look stupid.

Revolutionaries can afford to look mean, evil, dangerous - anything but look foolish.

Old 01-18-2013, 09:06 PM

2,468 posts, read 1,925,374 times
Of course they did. At the recent House GOP retreat Boehner's jaw dropped when his top pollster told him that the house GOP has a dirt low 37% approval rating, a full 19% below their Democrat counterparts.

Old 01-18-2013, 09:11 PM

5,718 posts, read 6,467,900 times
I'm relieved that we don't have to go through this battle again... this time.

Old 01-18-2013, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorqual View Post
Of course they did. At the recent House GOP retreat Boehner's jaw dropped when his top pollster told him that the house GOP has a dirt low 37% approval rating, a full 19% below their Democrat counterparts.
Yep - that too. Despite all the gerrymandering, things have reached such as state that the prospect of the GOP losing the House seems remotely possible, and that scares some of them.

So they trooped off to their huddle in Williamsburg and tried to come up with a new plan. "Ah ha! We'll turn the tables by talking about a budget - Joe Sixpack gets the idea of a budget".

It might work, in the sense of seizing the initiative in the public debate which they have lost consistently since the election, but I'm not holding my breath. Obama and Reid will probably run rings around them, again.

Old 01-18-2013, 09:14 PM

Good analysis of what happened in Williamsburg from Slate:

House Republican Williamsburg retreat: GOP leaders decided that they had no leverage over Barack Obama on the debt ceiling for now. - Slate Magazine

Old 01-18-2013, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Yep - that too. Despite all the gerrymandering, things have reached such as state that the prospect of the GOP losing the House seems remotely possible, and that scares some of them.

So they trooped off to their huddle in Williamsburg and tried to come up with a new plan. "Ah ha! We'll turn the tables by talking about a budget - Joe Sixpack gets the idea of a budget".

It might work, in the sense of seizing the initiative in the public debate which they have lost consistently since the election, but I'm not holding my breath. Obama and Reid will probably run rings around them, again.

Watch for 2 numbers in 2014. 215 in the House, 58 Senate. If the Democrats reach either, the required quantity of Repubs will switch before 2016. Pols hate lack of power, and party switchers have inordinate power to get awesome committee posts, but only before they are no longer needed. the Dems will have 2009 in 2017, a POTUS, 60 Senators, and the House.

So the window to abandon ship for the Repubs will be narrow.

Old 01-18-2013, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Watch for 2 numbers in 2014. 215 in the House, 58 Senate. If the Democrats reach either, the required quantity of Repubs will switch before 2016. Pols hate lack of power, and party switchers have inordinate power to get awesome committee posts, but only before they are no longer needed. the Dems will have 2009 in 2017, a POTUS, 60 Senators, and the House.

So the window to abandon ship for the Repubs will be narrow.
I'm not sure I'm ready to bank on the Dems controlling all three - it's a long shot in '14, and less than even odds in '16.

But it's just enough of a possibility to make Republicans uneasy: some of the brighter ones know that if Obama or his successor gain majorities in both chambers, the result will make the legislative achievements of 2009-10 look inconsequential by comparison.

I think some, certainly among the punditry, but also within elected circles, are beginning to think moderation is a survival strategy.

Old 01-18-2013, 09:41 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure I'm ready to bank on the Dems controlling all three - it's a long shot in '14, and less than even odds in '16.

But it's just enough of a possibility to make Republicans uneasy: some of the brighter ones know that if Obama or his successor gain majorities in both chambers, the result will make the legislative achievements of 2009-10 look inconsequential by comparison.

I think some, certainly among the punditry, but also within elected circles, are beginning to think moderation is a survival strategy.
With Gingrich recommending a 180 degree turn on immigration, to quote Mississippi Burning, "Looks like the rattlesnakes are starting to commit suicide".

SCBTP = Suicide Caused By Tea Party
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies