Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2007, 11:14 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,591,550 times

Advertisements

Lessons of Little Rock

Looking at the pictures, it is hard to imagine that it happened in America, but it did, and not so long ago: Fifty years ago in Little Rock, Ark., white adults hurled insults and jeers at nine black teenagers who just wanted to go to school.

It was the first test of the Supreme Court decision striking down the separate-but-equal doctrine that had kept schools legally segregated.

In September 1957, the nine black students trying to integrate Little Rock Central High School were repeatedly blocked by the Arkansas National Guard, under orders from the governor.

After weeks of crisis, on Sept. 25, President Eisenhower brought in the U.S. Army -- and the Little Rock Nine, as they came to be called, finally enrolled.

ABC News: 50 Years Later, School Kids Self-Segregate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2007, 07:42 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,184,331 times
Isn't it nice that we have equality of access to education and that taxpayer dollars are spent on educating black and white children at the sme rate? That sounds better to me.

Isn't it nice that (I believe) at least one of the white students in the notorious protesting pictures has apologized to the taunted students? That's a lesson for our youth today: Don't do something stupid in a moment that may last you a long time.

Isn't it nice that, instead or armed guerilla bands, black folks and white folks through the struggle came to at least grudgingly co-exist in Little Rock? That sounds nice to me.

Isn't it good that peaceful action forced the president of the United States (who was decrying the lack of liberties in Russia) to focus on the treatment of minorities in the US? Sounds at least like good PR to me.

Isn't it nice that people found out that a black child sitting next to a white child in a public school would not, in the words of Thurgood Marshall, "mean the world would explode"? That's at least an eye-opener.

Old 09-24-2007, 09:23 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,216,682 times
I had the pleasure of working with one of the "Little Rock 9" kids (Jefferson Thomas) for a few years about five years ago. His story was incredible.

He mentioned to me the events leading up to that day He discussed how his mom worked a minimum wage job, and had to go to her employer and get permission to allow her son to be one of the students allowed to go to Central. Without her employer's permission, she would have been dismissed, and that was part of the accepted processes for black folks in Little Rock at that time.

Remarkable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies