Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 11:10 PM

99 posts, read 466,018 times

Advertisements

"let's not forget the pa'akaula incident in waikele"

what happened?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2007, 11:34 PM

850 posts, read 4,354,993 times
it was a fender bender in the parking lot of the waikele shopping center. name calling, fists flying, people arrested and people ended up in the hospital and in jail. convicted were the pa'akaula father and son; both serving time for the incident. the other persons involved were apparently military and haole. "haole" was used in a derogatory manner. what doesn't make sense is that the pa'akaula family is part "haole" and they hired a "haole" attorney.

Old 09-25-2007, 02:52 AM

65 posts, read 376,560 times
I used to be for the ferry before I read this thread.

900 rocks??? As trivial as that sounds, it's a sign of abuse that will happen because of people who have no care for the "aina" that they are visiting.

If people are going to do that with rocks, imagine what else they could end up carting over the ferry.

I like the neighbor islands because it is so much more..... "pristine" than oahu. I like being able to go there and see the Hawaii that is not overcrowded and abused.

Look at it this way. Without the ferry at least there will be lots of places still to go via plane that will still be like "Old Hawaii". Versus with the ferry, everyplace might turn into "Oahu". This is a scary thought.

Old 09-25-2007, 05:04 AM

1,375 posts, read 6,290,304 times
Still no one has convinced me that coquis won't be transported from the Big Island. That would be a disaster.

Otherwise, seems much would be prevented by good security. If that can be guaranteed.

I'm waiting to see how this one plays out...and to see who gets held accountable and to what degree if our money has been wasted!

Old 09-25-2007, 05:41 AM

118 posts, read 670,567 times
The Ferry is progress ... which always comes at a price. Eventually it will prevail. Whether you agree with it or not is not the issue; how you deal with it is.

IN ADVANCE: Plan on how to mitigate the negatives, and on how to exploit the positves for ALL your best interests; no matter which opinion you claim to represent.

An example: Has anybody suggested a tourist vs. resident fee to generate greatly needed funds? Tourist fees can fund native Hawaiin interests and that would be a positive! Local businesses, especially native Hawaiian, can reap the rewards of these fees to propogate their culture - another positive!

Good luck!

Old 09-25-2007, 12:08 PM

99 posts, read 466,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddywagons View Post
The Ferry is progress ... which always comes at a price. Eventually it will prevail. Whether you agree with it or not is not the issue; how you deal with it is.

IN ADVANCE: Plan on how to mitigate the negatives, and on how to exploit the positves for ALL your best interests; no matter which opinion you claim to represent.

An example: Has anybody suggested a tourist vs. resident fee to generate greatly needed funds? Tourist fees can fund native Hawaiin interests and that would be a positive! Local businesses, especially native Hawaiian, can reap the rewards of these fees to propogate their culture - another positive!

Good luck!
Excellent suggestions! As for the rocks, drugs, etc. transplants, they would need to enforce security measures as a long term solution. It's nearly impossible to keep out small quantities of drugs or rocks that could easily be concealed (heck, I can remember being solicited with drugs in the ocean), but large quantities of ANYTHING should be restricted. The security measures would give, if anything, a false sense of security or peace of mind like the gatekeepers. They could charge tourists extra to pay for that.

Old 09-25-2007, 03:32 PM

regarding the 900 rocks taken: as i mentioned in a previous post, it took a few idiots to spoil it for the rest. you are permitted to take rocks from iao valley/stream, but there's a limit. just shameful!

moloka'i: wasn't given to the hawaiians. there is cultural diversity there, too. maybe tiffan28 was referring to ni'ihau where the population is mostly kanaka maoli. still, the island doesn't belong to them. i believe the robinson family owns it.

coqui frogs: as quoted from a report dated january 2003 from the united states department of agriculture animal and plant health inspection service:

"first spotted in hawai'i in 1992, invasive caribbean tree frogs have been a threat to the state's agriculture, tourism, and native ecosystems ever since. in just 10 years, burgeoning populations of two species, the coqui frog and the greenhouse frog, have become established on maui, o'ahu, kaua'i and hawai'i's main island.

native to the caribbean, coqui and greenhouse frogs were accidentally imported to hawai'i hidden away on plants and flowers destined for nurseries throughout the state. with its tropical climate and a lack of natural predators, hawai'i has become a perfect second home to these invasive species.

caribbean tree frogs are primarily nocturnal, seeking shelter during the day in moist areas covered by brush or debris. they prefer hot, humid environments that receive lots of rain. in hawai'i coqui and greenhouse frogs have taken up residence around commercial plant industries, homes, resorts, public parks and forested areas. caribbean tree frogs have been reported at more than 320 locations covering approximately 2,000 acres on the islands of hawai'i, maui, o'ahu and kaua'i."

nobody has mentioned the big island's fire ants problem. i don't think we have that problem on o'ahu yet.

i think the solution to the problem of invasive species is that the u.s.d.a. needs to set up shop at the piers. just like they have at the airports. however, some people have lost confidence in this department because the frogs were "accidentally" imported. also, does anyone know if tsa is down at the piers?

Old 09-25-2007, 06:52 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,548,528 times
I don't think the Ferry will add any more of a threat for invasive species than Young Brothers, ocean liners, or international and interisland flights do. When I moved to Maui, there were no chameleons, no Jackson chameleons. In fact, as I recall, the following list of what wasn't here in the wild is pretty accurate; common chameleons, Jackson chameleons, green parrots, (they drive the mango farmers out in Haiku lolo), green finch, chinese finch, coqui frog, poison dart frog, caesers bird, (also called the white egret I think), veiled chameleon out Kapalua side, they get pretty big, reproduce like mad, and eat small birds, there were some dogs a few years back chasing what everyone thought was a mongoose up the beach down at Makenna, turned out to be an Iguana. And how many times have flights from Guam to Honolulu been found to have dead, thankfully, brown tree snakes up in the landing gear bays. Most of the above mentioned critters were brought here, illegally or just unknowingly, as pets. This is a good one, a stripper down on Hotel Street way back when was having her debut night at the Club Hubbahubba, included in her act was a live boa constrictor. Needless to say, it was a one night stand for both her and her co-star.

Aloha and okolemaluna

Old 09-25-2007, 07:40 PM

i'm going to have to agree with jungohann's last post. the problem of invasive species already exists. hence, my quotes about the frogs. they're everywhere. i really don't see how this is the responsibility of the ferry.

also, to address people's concerns about the whales: if the ferry would slow down during the calfing season, there would be little or no fatalities. to my knowledge, there isn't equipment yet that can detect them.

Last edited by kani-lehua; 09-25-2007 at 07:41 PM.. Reason: spelling error

Old 09-25-2007, 08:03 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,548,528 times
The Ferry will have lookouts to spot whales, and will then alter course as required to try to avoid them. And whales know where the boats are anyway, I was paddling off Wailea, just watching the blade hit the water, glanced forward, and the water is lifting up. Whale surfaced right in front of me, had it decided to slap its tale on the water, I would have more than likely been without a racing kayak any longer. It just took a breath and went right under my kayak. Scared the kukai out of me, well, almost.The most recent boat/whale incident was off Oahu a while back, whale watching boat ran into a whale, some poor tourist kid hit his head on the railing and was killed. I'ld say those boats are more of a threat to whales than the Ferry would be.
As far as the Coqui frogs are concerned, it's only a matter of time before the local gov, in it's infinite wisdom, decides to import garter snakes or something of the like to eat the frogs. Don't forget the great mongoose/rat debacle. Hawaii brought in mongeese to kill the rats, one slight problem, rats are nocturnal, mongeese aren't.

Aloha and okolemaluna
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies