Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 12:48 AM

13 posts, read 66,451 times

Advertisements

Note: This thread has been moved to the P & O.C. forum on request from members of the Hawaii forum; a suggestion when politically charged discussions on that forum become heated and more input from the general C-D community might seem beneficial.

hi,

It's a fact that the ecological damage that the protesters said the ferry would do to Hawaiian waters was never the issue.

The issue is island over-crowding. People who visit here just won't go back home. People are really starting to realize that Hawaii is a State and that, if any, they can live here any time they want too or they'll dial 991. Worst, they have their U.S. citizen rights to do so. Very sad.

What they don't understand, or to blind to see, is that Hawaii is small and surrounded by ocean. Unlike the mainland Hawaii can only grow so far. Not only the people from the mainland, but immigrants as well flood these islands.

Pollution is every where here. Traffic is out of control. Homelessness. Car dealers still selling cars here - more carbon monoxide polluting my home.

If Hawaii was given back to the Hawaiians all this crap would never have happened.

Like IZ said, ' Just imagine if they came back and saw traffic lights...'

The people of Hawaii today are completely different in how they live compared to the violent mainland. Those who lived here for only the past 20 years and are now about 40 years, still have no idea how we live. They can talk pidgin but that's it. To know the way we live you would have to have lived here for the past 50+ years. And the only ones who know better are the native Kanaka Maoli and their keikis - No One Else!!!

So if anything, the ferry speaks what the Hawaiians already have been saying since the overthrow, 'Go Home!'

laters,
levi

Last edited by scirocco22; 09-30-2007 at 11:37 AM.. Reason: moderator note
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2007, 02:17 AM

5,595 posts, read 19,000,817 times
Please keep this thread civilized, folks. Thanks.

Old 09-24-2007, 04:24 AM

13 posts, read 119,662 times
An issue that popped up with the ferry in maui was a unique one. Local people came over the ferry to maui, went into iao valley, and stole 9 TONS of rocks. Im not exactly sure why but apparently this is also a problem with the ferry. A really BIZARRE one. Seriously, ROCKS!? They were putting it in their cars and driving away with it until they got caught, CRAZY huh?

Old 09-24-2007, 03:07 PM

86 posts, read 696,870 times
IMHO, this whole issue is very sad. For some of us locals who have friends and relatives on Kauai and Maui and want to visit them, taking the ferry seemed like a great alternative to flying...not so according to are brothers and sisters over there. Although I don't like the protests, they have a right to protest and if the majority doesn't want the ferry coming to their islands, then the whole thing should be axed. All of us should respect their feelings it's their islands not Oahu's. Just my two cents!

Old 09-24-2007, 04:37 PM

99 posts, read 465,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulikebiff View Post
hi,

It's a fact that the ecological damage that the protesters said the ferry would do to Hawaiian waters was never the issue.

The issue is island over-crowding. People who visit here just won't go back home. People are really starting to realize that Hawaii is a State and that, if any, they can live here any time they want too or they'll dial 991. Worst, they have their U.S. citizen rights to do so. Very sad.

What they don't understand, or to blind to see, is that Hawaii is small and surrounded by ocean. Unlike the mainland Hawaii can only grow so far. Not only the people from the mainland, but immigrants as well flood these islands.

Pollution is every where here. Traffic is out of control. Homelessness. Car dealers still selling cars here - more carbon monoxide polluting my home.

If Hawaii was given back to the Hawaiians all this crap would never have happened.

Like IZ said, ' Just imagine if they came back and saw traffic lights...'

The people of Hawaii today are completely different in how they live compared to the violent mainland. Those who lived here for only the past 20 years and are now about 40 years, still have no idea how we live. They can talk pidgin but that's it. To know the way we live you would have to have lived here for the past 50+ years. And the only ones who know better are the native Kanaka Maoli and their keikis - No One Else!!!

So if anything, the ferry speaks what the Hawaiians already have been saying since the overthrow, 'Go Home!'

laters,
levi

Why not direct your energetic anger towards solutions instead of complaining and pointing the finger which helps no one. There are solutions to the problem of overcrowding, but people have to work together, let go of the anger and hostility, and focus on what can be done about the problem. Schools should encourage problem-solution ways of thinking more than they do. They have the potential to make leaders out of kids. That's one way to start towards positive change.

Other than, Go Home, do you have any positive solutions? If everyone went home, the island would go bankrupt--economics 101 and you would have no defense to help you if attacked.

According to my research, there were many Hawiians who were happy about becoming a state, so you can't possibly speak for every Hawaiian.

Old 09-24-2007, 06:12 PM

144 posts, read 734,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy1 View Post
IMHO, this whole issue is very sad. For some of us locals who have friends and relatives on Kauai and Maui and want to visit them, taking the ferry seemed like a great alternative to flying...not so according to are brothers and sisters over there. Although I don't like the protests, they have a right to protest and if the majority doesn't want the ferry coming to their islands, then the whole thing should be axed. All of us should respect their feelings it's their islands not Oahu's. Just my two cents!
Yeah, I would love to be able to take the ferry to visit my friends and relatives in Honolulu. I hope this gets worked out so that all of us will have an alternative to flying.

Old 09-24-2007, 06:13 PM

144 posts, read 734,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulikebiff View Post

laters,
levi
Geez, Brah...we don't need to go that far, eh? As long as we don't get rid of inter-island flights too.

Last edited by Paniolo Cowgirl; 09-24-2007 at 06:41 PM..

Old 09-24-2007, 09:16 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,541,404 times
I suspect that the Super Ferry will ultimately win out, State of Hawaii doesn't spend that amount of money for nothing, and after all, it's YOUR money. Don't know how long it will last though. It is primarily for residents of Hawaii, I doubt if many tourists would use it, seeing as they are normally in a hurry anyways.
As far as Hawaii becoming a state, I doubt if many Hawaiians were happy with it, becoming part of the U.S., also meant paying federal taxes.

Aloha and okolemaluna

Old 09-24-2007, 11:07 PM

850 posts, read 4,353,033 times
if in fact the "ecological damage that the protesters said the ferry would do to hawaiian waters was never the issue," why bring about lawsuits and hold up signs demanding and enviromental impact statement? why act in an uncivilized manner during the town meeting and at the piers? why keep yelling, "EIS! EIS!"?

"the issue is over-crowding. people who visit here just won't go back home." do you remember where the hawaiians came from? maybe not just tahiti but other island groups. hence, the similarities between the languages. are you a u.s. citizen? GOD forbid you have an emergency. by all means, dial 911. it's your right,too.

yes, yes. polution is everywhere. however, do you own and drive a car? do you use the highways? not only cars emit carbon.

IZ was a good guy with a beautiful voice and great music. his wife and john demello are making tidy profit from his music. as i recall, his wife was driving an ice blue jaguar several years ago not a horse drawn carriage. not too shabby if you ask me. if hawai'i was given back to the hawaiians, all this wouldn't be possible and we wouldn't be having this discussion. also, let's not forget that our ali'i were well travelled, well dressed and educated. they had a liking for luxury goods as well. oh, and by the way, my cousins are the john and jerome koko.

sorry to say, but there is violence here in paradise as well. let's not forget the pa'akaula incident in waikele. whomever was at fault, it should have never escalated to that degree. both families paid for it dearly.

excuse me, i was born and raised here and am not yet 45 years old. i know what it is like to live here and embrace all my ethnicities including hawaiian. as i mentioned in a previous post, my genealogy can be traced as far back as kamehameha I who married my ancestor palila. i have signed up for oha and kau inoa but am not able to participate in other native hawaiian programs because i don't have the requisite blood quantum. again, hawaiians are divided and continue to discriminate against their own.

lastly, the ferry isn't saying, "go home!" they want to stay. there are a lot of locals, local haole, haole, hapa haole, part hawaiians and kanaka maoli who support the ferry.

Old 09-25-2007, 12:08 AM

99 posts, read 465,844 times
What I can't understand is that wasn't Molokai given to the Hawiians based on their ancestry? If they dislike the tourists in the crowded areas why don't they stay in Molokai which from what I've read sounds heavenly, quiet, and peaceful? It is THEIR island and there aren't many tourists there.

Personally, my contribution to the pollution problem from the gas emissions is minimal because I work from home and I walk my son to school. My husband and I share a car. He has a 5 mile commute I know everyone can't do that, but what about car pooling and public transportation? People should be REWARDED for taking public transportation. There should be a financial incentive for people to take public transportation or car pool. If so, I guarantee you would see a drastic decrease in traffic to Honolulu (at least with the residents not the tourists).

I just don't get the Ferry debate at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies