Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 12:13 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,603,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
disenfranchised because of phenomena they may have little control over.
Actually they have 100% TOTAL control over their gender. Look in your pants and you'll know if you are male or female. Deal with it. Simple.

What if I decide I'm black, even though my skin is white. Can I start trying to tell everyone I'm black and they have to accept it? What if I painted myself black everymorning because I was so sure I'm black and that nature made a mistake? Wonder how many people would be forced to accept me then...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2007, 12:26 PM

9,877 posts, read 10,788,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
OK, even though silas has hijacked the thread to take attention away from the silly family values "debate" or better put the dog and pony show posted for us by OP, let's play along. Yes, research shows there are consistent physical differences in the brain evidenced by this section of society, although it has not yet been conclusively determined whether this difference was something they are born with or something that develops due to upbringing and environment. So what?

Fundamentalists don't care if it is science or choice, let's get real. They don't believe in much of legitimate science first off, and second causality makes absolutely no difference in their minds. They just know they are going through the pearly gates, and will be sticking their tongues out at everybody else. So really what is the point of discussing. You know they are just "dying" no pun intended, for that Day of Reckoning to really, really come in their lifetimes so they can give everybody else the middle fingers as they step on the cloud elevator going up in the sky.
Now, now, billy, I did not hijack the thread, I posted a closley related article, and responded to other posts, 1, we can not go around passing laws to protect every (difference in the brain) as you say! 2,I dont refer to myself as such, but probably fall into the catagory you refer to as fundamentalist, and I belive very much in science, especially the part about the sperm and the egg, sperm coming from a male ,egg coming from a female. Lastly I as a christian have never felt like giving nonchristians the finger or sticking my tongue out as you say ,quite the opposite!

Old 09-24-2007, 12:28 PM

9,877 posts, read 10,788,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbound2day View Post
Actually they have 100% TOTAL control over their gender. Look in your pants and you'll know if you are male or female. Deal with it. Simple.

becarefull tnbound, I have tried that exact logic before and ended up in the forum pokey!

Last edited by silas777; 09-24-2007 at 01:08 PM..

Old 09-24-2007, 12:40 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,990,458 times
Quote:

What if I decide I'm black, even though my skin is white. Can I start trying to tell everyone I'm black and they have to accept it? What if I painted myself black everymorning because I was so sure I'm black and that nature made a mistake? Wonder how many people would be forced to accept me then...
They have control over whether they decide to change genders, but not necessarily control over whether they're able to live a happy, fulfilling life in the one they're born in. I'm not saying I understand it, I don't, I don't have the problem, but I don't see why people should be subject to economic discrimination for it.

Old 09-24-2007, 12:55 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,603,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
They have control over whether they decide to change genders, but not necessarily control over whether they're able to live a happy, fulfilling life in the one they're born in. I'm not saying I understand it, I don't, I don't have the problem, but I don't see why people should be subject to economic discrimination for it.
So prior to science advancing enough to switch a person, are we to think thousands upon thousands of individuals were forced to live tortured lives stuck in a gender that they mentally think they aren't?

And as far as economic discrimination, no I don't think they should be discriminated against. But I also know that groups that file for special protection and get it are usually able to use it to legally bully companies into hiring someone to avoid a lawsuit. That is the part that irritates me, when a "protection" turns into an abuse.

Old 09-24-2007, 02:47 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,462,208 times
Quote:
So prior to science advancing enough to switch a person, are we to think thousands upon thousands of individuals were forced to live tortured lives stuck in a gender that they mentally think they aren't?

And as far as economic discrimination, no I don't think they should be discriminated against. But I also know that groups that file for special protection and get it are usually able to use it to legally bully companies into hiring someone to avoid a lawsuit. That is the part that irritates me, when a "protection" turns into an abuse.
Clearly it is a mental illness and just because they (under pressure) decided it was not a mental illness does not make it so. I would never hire someone so confused to represent my business. We thoroughly screen anyone we hire. If I walk into a business that has some man dressed up like a woman or visa versa, I walk out and give my business to someone else.

I certainly would not support any candidate that approved of special protections for sexual confusion.

Old 09-24-2007, 02:57 PM

5,408 posts, read 7,779,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citigirl View Post
If I walk into a business that has some man dressed up like a woman or visa versa, I walk out and give my business to someone else.
Wow. We have all kinds of women dressed like men where I work. I wish they would all just stick to skirts and blouses that complement their feminine side.

Old 09-24-2007, 03:07 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,462,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
Wow. We have all kinds of women dressed like men where I work. I wish they would all just stick to skirts and blouses that complement their feminine side.
Do they dress like men and try to emulate men because they are confused or do they wear pants because that has been a long standing fashion?

Old 09-24-2007, 04:06 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,536,313 times
If the Phelps hate bunch from Topeka, KS didn't show up to protest the gathering, then it must have had their OK.

Old 09-24-2007, 07:06 PM

17,290 posts, read 29,328,662 times
Quote:

Do you know the difference between "gender" and "sex"?

Amongst academics, "Gender" is socially constructed, "Sex" is not. Therefore, as has been shown when doctors in the 50s would "snip off" one type of parts when hermaphrodites were born, just because you have a certain type of "plumbing" doesn't mean the circuitry lines up.

At any rate, even IF it were a choice (which it's not), why, again, do you think you should be able to discriminate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies