Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 07:28 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,251,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
The liberals? Who do you think created things like the student aid program or Pell Grants? GOP conservatives?
I'm saying that we'll be like Europe and only admit a tiny fraction of the population into universities, keeping out minorities like cigany over there. That will teach the poor minorities to dream.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2012, 07:31 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,491,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
I'm saying that we'll be like Europe and only admit a tiny fraction of the population into universities, keeping out minorities like cigany over there. That will teach the poor minorities to dream.

Restricting access to college is hardly the mantra of liberals. Instead, they would like to see everyone have access to higher learning. It's the GOP which consistently tries to deny people the right to an education, not the Democrats.

Remember what Romney said about a college education?

Old 06-08-2012, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Restricting access to college is hardly the mantra of liberals. Instead, they would like to see everyone have access to higher learning. It's the GOP which consistently tries to deny people the right to an education, not the Democrats.

Remember what Romney said about a college education?
My point is that in countries with "universal" access to universities, higher education is restricted to only those who overachieve, meaning an extremely tiny of minorities get to enroll in universities. We would be forced to replicate such a model in this country. What neo-progressives "want" and what they can have under finite resources are two different things.

Old 06-08-2012, 07:38 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,205,553 times
Quote:
The GOP likes to claim The Great Communicator as their touchstone, guru and ancient patriarch, but as this article shows, they're not willing to embrace what he did to end the recession Reagan faced when he took office.

Why? Political advantage, of course.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/08/op...it_th_20120608
I am a supporter of Ronald Reagan. I lived through the tough years of Carter. I heard on the Carter years libs say the best of America is behind us. I have listened to Obama. Obama is no Ronald Reagan

Old 06-08-2012, 07:41 AM

68,300 posts, read 54,222,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inoxkeeper View Post
Compare them? That's easy, one was worthy of holding the title of POTUS the other isn't.

One was Pro America, the other hates America.

Need I go on?
How many more baseless allegations do you have?

Old 06-08-2012, 07:45 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,917,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inoxkeeper View Post
Compare them? That's easy, one was worthy of holding the title of POTUS the other isn't.

One was Pro America, the other hates America.

Need I go on?
Yes, you are right. Reagan supplied arms to the Afghan Mujahideen, who later became the Taliban who harbored al Qaeda, who killed thousands of Americans. On the other hand, Obama brought bin Laden to justice and increased drone strikes in Pakistan and just killed the next highest al Qaeda leader. Reagan aided America's enemies and thus must have hated America while Obama is pro-American.

By your comparison, Reagan wasn't worthy of holding the office.

Old 06-08-2012, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
My point is that in countries with "universal" access to universities, higher education is restricted to only those who overachieve, meaning an extremely tiny of minorities get to enroll in universities. We would be forced to replicate such a model in this country. What neo-progressives "want" and what they can have under finite resources are two different things.
Why and how would we be forced to replicate that model? Have we yet?

Old 06-08-2012, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
Obama is no Ronald Reagan

Thank goodness for that.

But, the point is that Reagan spent his way out of a recession, but today his erstwhile followers say that's not the way to go. (But, of course, put them in power and see what they do next.)

Either he's St. Ron to the GOP, or he isn't. Which is it?

Old 06-08-2012, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Why and how would we be forced to replicate that model? Have we yet?
Providing a service that has unlimited demand requires rationing. The rationing component would be logically speaking based on only those who can actually achieve in a university setting. This would push away minorities who are unable to compete with the Caucasians and Asians.

Can you kindly inform me how we can cherry pick the good stuff from the European universal education model while simultaneously covering a higher % of our population in the system?

Old 06-08-2012, 07:50 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,917,756 times
The point of the OP's article was that Reagan, apart from what right-wing folk-law suggests, was a big spender Keynesian -- something that cuts across the grain of conservatism, while Obama's record, by the numbers, has been a spending cutter -- but the right-wing hates him.

To be honest, the recession of 1981 and the depression of 2008 are completely different. In late 1979 and early 1980s, inflation was the problem and the federal reserve responded by tightening money. Once inflation was under control, the Fed loosened money and the economy sprung back.

The 2008 depression was caused by private debt leading to a decline in demand that can't be magically undone -- especially with the GOP preventing further economic stimulus from the government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies