U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-08-2012, 06:13 AM
 
Location: Texas
14,076 posts, read 18,665,522 times
Reputation: 7751

Advertisements

The GOP likes to claim The Great Communicator as their touchstone, guru and ancient patriarch, but as this article shows, they're not willing to embrace what he did to end the recession Reagan faced when he took office.

Why? Political advantage, of course.



http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/08/op...it_th_20120608
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-08-2012, 06:22 AM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
20,003 posts, read 16,640,664 times
Reputation: 3784
So, Obama appointed a Fed chairman who brought interest rates to 20% and stopped the inflationary spiral?

In before you claim there's no inflation and ignore education and health care as "outlier" sectors.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2012, 06:30 AM
 
Location: Londonderry, NH
41,478 posts, read 54,290,784 times
Reputation: 24736
Education and health care inflation are created by the providers taking advantage of being paid by third parties and not directly by the consumer. Neither industry would be as prosperous if individual consumers had to pay with their own resources. The medical industry would be hit hardest because they are legally and morally required to provide services while there is no mandate for college education. This reality would indicate a Universal government operated health care system be established and all college aid be eliminated.

I prefer President Obama’s economics because Regan’s solution to inflation resulted in a near depression and he started the country on the road to borrowing from the wealthy instead of taxing them their fair share.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2012, 06:36 AM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
20,003 posts, read 16,640,664 times
Reputation: 3784
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Education and health care inflation are created by the providers taking advantage of being paid by third parties and not directly by the consumer. Neither industry would be as prosperous if individual consumers had to pay with their own resources. The medical industry would be hit hardest because they are legally and morally required to provide services while there is no mandate for college education. This reality would indicate a Universal government operated health care system be established and all college aid be eliminated.

I prefer President Obama’s economics because Regan’s solution to inflation resulted in a near depression and he started the country on the road to borrowing from the wealthy instead of taxing them their fair share.
So we can be like Europe and only allow 5-10% of the population to attend universities? Sounds good to me. Keep the ghetto rats and trailer trash from the ivory halls, just like Europe would do.

But then again, even most European universities aren't free.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2012, 06:48 AM
 
1,291 posts, read 2,681,172 times
Reputation: 1264
Compare them? That's easy, one was worthy of holding the title of POTUS the other isn't.

One was Pro America, the other hates America.

Need I go on?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2012, 07:11 AM
 
Location: Unperson Everyman Land
33,865 posts, read 22,167,009 times
Reputation: 9841
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
The GOP likes to claim The Great Communicator as their touchstone, guru and ancient patriarch, but as this article shows, they're not willing to embrace what he did to end the recession Reagan faced when he took office.

Why? Political advantage, of course.



http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/08/op...it_th_20120608


Face it.

The weak dollar never works.

It always leads to stagnation and inflation.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2012, 07:58 AM
 
Location: Londonderry, NH
41,478 posts, read 54,290,784 times
Reputation: 24736
Summers73 - That is exactly what the Republicans plan on doing to our educational system. Make it exclusive and expesive but eliminate any government help. They would love to do the same with Health Care. Why should the Republican Plutocrats care if the lower classes are educated or helthy? Mayby because the lower class workers create the wealth the Romnies steal?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2012, 08:02 AM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
20,003 posts, read 16,640,664 times
Reputation: 3784
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Summers73 - That is exactly what the Republicans plan on doing to our educational system. Make it exclusive and expesive but eliminate any government help. They would love to do the same with Health Care. Why should the Republican Plutocrats care if the lower classes are educated or helthy? Mayby because the lower class workers create the wealth the Romnies steal?
Exactly, it will be an institution for only the small minority, like in Europe. Then the liberals will be happy.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2012, 08:24 AM
 
Location: Texas
14,076 posts, read 18,665,522 times
Reputation: 7751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inoxkeeper View Post

One was Pro America, the other hates America.

No, but you need to prove that. In fact, I'd like to see you try.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2012, 08:26 AM
 
Location: Texas
14,076 posts, read 18,665,522 times
Reputation: 7751
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Exactly, it will be an institution for only the small minority, like in Europe. Then the liberals will be happy.

The liberals? Who do you think created things like the student aid program or Pell Grants? GOP conservatives?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top