Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 12:24 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,307,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
My tax dollars go towards bluemonday's welfare, for example. I should get a say in dictating his/her life, choices and everything otherwise deemed personal.
LOL Wow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2012, 12:29 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,944,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
I would elaborate more but it's a simple question. Why do people care what others are doing with their own lives when it doesn't even effect them? I think a lot of social issues stem from people not minding their own business acting as if they can control the lives of complete strangers.
So you don't think that the actions of others have any effect on people? You don't think the casual disregard for innocent life via abortion or a country at
war" for more than a decade touches society as a whole?

Lemme guess, this is another gay marriage thread, right?

Old 06-08-2012, 12:30 PM

3,345 posts, read 3,076,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
A lot of people feel a need to control others because they are fearful of change and insecure about themselves.
If you are referring to gay rights and marriage, then I agree with you. There is nothing immoral about that because it is natural and bothers nobody else.

I am referring to such things as drug sales, adultery, child abuse etc. where there are definite victims.

Those things we shuld not turn a blind eye too.

Old 06-08-2012, 12:56 PM

865 posts, read 1,489,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08 View Post
If you are referring to gay rights and marriage, then I agree with you. There is nothing immoral about that because it is natural and bothers nobody else.

I am referring to such things as drug sales, adultery, child abuse etc. where there are definite victims.

Those things we shuld not turn a blind eye too.
Agree, that is crime (well except for the adultery example), and we should care. Also, littering, stealing, violence....these are things we SHOULD care about. I think we should be up in arms about how much violence is on TV versus who wants to marry who.

Old 06-08-2012, 01:15 PM

14,023 posts, read 15,032,674 times
Marjauana I think is only still illegal (in Massachusetts anyway) so the state gets money, because they pull a person with pot over and give him a ticket, its almost like a speed trap, only for pot heads.

Old 06-08-2012, 01:32 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,121,382 times
If we didn't care about what other people were doing then we'd all just go into a deep slumber

Old 06-08-2012, 01:35 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,535,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
I would elaborate more but it's a simple question. Why do people care what others are doing with their own lives when it doesn't even effect them? I think a lot of social issues stem from people not minding their own business acting as if they can control the lives of complete strangers.
That's easy. It's the same things which have always motivated busy-bodies and nosy neighbors: Pride, arrogance, selfishness. The idea that "I'm the grandest little Tiger in the Jungle" is a common human failing.

However, it usually don't reach the level of political importance. It certainly has here, though. The window-peepers, finger pointers and self-righteous nannies clucking their disapproving tongues have become the new Nazi's.

Old 06-08-2012, 01:37 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,034,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I sometimes in passing note that I do not wear a full face helmet with riding my motorcycle (I do wear a helmet) in a motorcycle forum just to watch the gnashing of teeth.

It's funny how those who regularly choose to ride a motorcycle will then call the actions of others unsafe. LOL
*shrug* Won't hear anything from this rider, on the forums. However, if your ass comes off the bike, and I happen to be the next rider who comes along to offer help, I'm going to feel free to mock you while I'm calling 911. In fact, I did have the opportunity to do that to a squid who tore by me on some twisties in SW Virginia. I soon came upon the shorts, no-shirt, flip-flop wearing dope as he was righting himself from a tumble he took on a U-turn section of the mountain road. He wasn't hurt, but the shock took a few moments to wear off. I stayed with him all the while, cheerfully saying "dude, how long you been riding? A week? Ha! You just had to get up here and show your ass, didn't you? And no proper riding gear. Well, I guess that'll learn ya. Next time you might not just end up in a patch of rhododendrons, you'll be looking back at the square feet of skin you left rubbed into the road."

Folks have the freedom to not take the appropriate precautions, to which I'll refrain from comment. But if you do end up in a bad situation caused by the lack of precaution, you must prepare to suffer merciless hecklry.

Old 06-08-2012, 01:41 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,211,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
So you don't think that the actions of others have any effect on people? You don't think the casual disregard for innocent life via abortion or a country at
war" for more than a decade touches society as a whole?

Lemme guess, this is another gay marriage thread, right?
I said doesn't effect others. Of course countries at war effect other people and no this isn't just about gay marriage.

If I might say something, I really don't know why my thread was moved to the Politics forum since this isn't about politics.

Old 06-08-2012, 01:43 PM

221 posts, read 283,024 times
Quote:
Agree, that is crime (well except for the adultery example), and we should care. Also, littering, stealing, violence....these are things we SHOULD care about.
Yep, this is true, as these affect people. I'll use myself as an example, over the years, the fact I: Don't want to have children, don't want to be around children, don't think babies are cute, don't want to hold babies and don't want to go to baby showers; that I "don't use" my degree; that I don't wear eye makeup; that I don't wear a wedding band despite being married; that I mix patterns in my clothing; that Hubby and I choose to rent a home, (not buy); that we don't finance cars, (we buy used with cash); that I am not religious and don't believe in God; that I am a heavy Internet social network user; that I love to drink beer and readily admit it; that I spend 100s of dollars a year on fancy bath soap; that my best friends are in bands and are all childfree - has been a cause of concern, from mild to great, in many people I know. None of this affects them. And no, I do not understand why they care. They don't pay my bills or support me and I'm doing nothing wrong to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies