Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 11:20 AM

45,221 posts, read 26,431,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Have you ever tried to put a seat belt on cat?
No, but I did let Toonces drive once.

Toonces the driving cat - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2012, 11:24 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
My dog has never been in crate her entire life and never will be. I'm not so sure what that has to with protecting her as opposed to a harness built for that purpose. It would seem to me the pet inside the crate that is not actually restrained by a full harness is in greater danger.
When my pets are crated, I put the seat belt through and around the crate to prevent it from becoming a projectile in the event of an accident or sudden stop. The main purpose for crating an animal in the car is to prevent them from interfering with the driver and causing problems. I will *never* forget the first time I took my cat on a trip to Colorado, before I understood this. She INSISTED on sleeping UNDER my brake pedal. Needless to say, I smartened up pretty fast and we made an unscheduled detour to walmart to buy a crate.

Large dogs can jump on a driver or bump into his arm, causing an accident. Like two-year olds, they do not understand that there are consequences for their actions. Notwithstanding that in the event of an accident, they are much safer in an anchored crate.

20yrsinBranson

Old 06-09-2012, 11:42 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
When my pets are crated, I put the seat belt through and around the crate to prevent it from becoming a projectile in the event of an accident or sudden stop.
If the safety of your pet is your concern slamming into the inside of the crate is no different than slamming into the dashboard. I'm not going to research it but I would imagine a harness in particular the full vest types are probably better at preventing injury than the seat belts protecting humans becsue the impact to the dogs body is spread out over a wide area and it will absorb some of the force.

Old 06-09-2012, 11:52 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,288,429 times
My cat buckles herself up

Old 06-09-2012, 12:34 PM

4,428 posts, read 4,481,378 times
You folks don't get it.

This law is Bu!!sh^t.

Neil Young - King - YouTube

Old 06-09-2012, 12:59 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,254,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings_Hockey View Post
Cats = Cat carrier
Dogs: i guess you dont care if your dog gets slammed into the dash board.
My cat traveled when I moved in a carrier and harness and leash just incase she figured out how to force it open. Cats free in cars run the risk of the window opens, the cat sees something utterly fascinating in the tree and bye bye kitty.

The leash was most helpful in motels pointing to the hidey hole she'd stuffed herself into. Who knew there was room to have a cat hide under a dresser?

Old 06-09-2012, 01:03 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,274,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I do but what concern is that for NJ?

This is just another way to generate revenue from pet owners, probably lobbied for by the pet stores and suppliers of harnesses for their own profit.
Or another way to force irresponsible pet owners from injuring an animal, which cannot speak and/or defend itself.

Someone has to speak up for the thousands of injured and innocent animals, all over the country, every year. I applaud New Jersey's decision and hope it catches on all over the country.

Old 06-09-2012, 01:15 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
Lame. It's not the states job to protect your pets. Everyone knows this. Everyone knows its a money maker. People lie to themselves or somehow convince themselves it's a great thing because they love their "fluffy boo" so much that any law that appears to be pro-pet will get them emotional no matter what it actually does. It's "think of the children" all over again while giving yourself over to the whims of the NJ lawmakers and police.

Old 06-09-2012, 01:25 PM

4,428 posts, read 4,481,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Someone has to speak up for the thousands of injured and innocent animals, all over the country, every year. I applaud New Jersey's decision and hope it catches on all over the country.
You are so wise.

Next you will want government to allow gay dog marriage.

Old 06-09-2012, 02:20 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,003,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Obviously, responsible pet owners are going to have their pets CRATED in a moving vehicle for the pets' safety and their own.

The law refers to idiots who insist on allowing their pets free rein of the car, which could (and has) caused serious accidents.

But I think you knew that.

20yrsinBranson
who crates her pets - every time.
Crating pets is cruel - it robs them of their freedom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies