Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 10:18 AM

833 posts, read 1,714,065 times

Advertisements

Have them run it like a business.

I am sick and tired of the many small post offices that have a full time postmaster drawing a great salary $$$$$$$$ and benefits.

The postmaster spends most of her day visiting the few customers and visiting others on her cell phone.

When the postal service tries to cut that " cushy" position that is costing them money,,,,,,,,,,,,,,the local folks get all riled uo because that post master is "so durn friendly"..( probably related to many ,also )

If there isn't enough business to justify a full time postmaster, there should not be a full time postmaster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2012, 10:24 AM

45,225 posts, read 26,437,203 times
Privatize the USPS and then they will not be beholden to the whims of congressional politicking and can compete with other players in the market.
Consumers will then decide with their dollars if they should go on or go away.

Old 06-09-2012, 10:52 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,206,409 times
It's the pension obligations that is sinking the Post Office--negotiated by the postal employees unions over a long period of time. The Post Office is still contractually obligated to those benefits. The drastic decline in revenues over the past 15 years due to so much correspondence now conducted over the internet is what is sinking the Post Office. My local postmistress retired about 5 years ago with a monthly retirement of about $4000 plus medical. My local post office is on the potential closure list. Already several post offices in the area have closed in the last 10 years. My current postmaster has a military retirement PLUS Post Office retirement awaiting him in a couple of years. He will be rolling in money when he retires.

Old 06-09-2012, 11:24 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,082,650 times
Self serve kiosks/satellite stations in malls/supermarkets for those mailing packages with online verifiable accounts, eliminate Saturday delivery, the ability for Fedex to accept packages at their locations, closing of small post offices, hire part time employees to cover am and pm shifts to eliminate health insurance/pension costs and lastly privatization.

Old 06-09-2012, 11:36 AM

6,864 posts, read 12,076,689 times
Do away with Saturday delivery. No big deal waiting until Monday for bills and junk mail.

Old 06-09-2012, 12:03 PM

25,847 posts, read 16,525,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
Do away with Saturday delivery. No big deal waiting until Monday for bills and junk mail.
I was thinking they could go to Mon, Wed, Fri delivery. If you have something very important coming in the mail you should have the option of going and getting at the post office on Tue or Thur.

Old 06-09-2012, 12:16 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
M-W-F and what..turn all those full time folks into part-time workers ? And what about their benefits/pensions..cut in half ?

Union won't go for that.

Old 06-09-2012, 01:27 PM

3,406 posts, read 3,449,665 times
If they were going to cut a day at the post office for delivery it should be thursdays or maybe weds. If you cut saturdays... The weeks where the post office is already closed on mondays would cause no mail delivered for 4 days in a row. By cutting thursdays ( lightest delivery day when i was a carrier) it will not have same problem.

Old 06-09-2012, 02:39 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,745,228 times
Quote:
If there isn't enough business to justify a full time postmaster, there should not be a full time postmaster.
Every retail store has a manager. So having a postmaster is the same thing. There are numerous things managers have to deal with that the frontline people never even know about.

As to the USPS, I'd close every location and contract out office services to UPS,DHL or FDX depending on the state. All three are already shipping normal mail across the US. Then I would create distribution centers in each zip code where these three companies drop off the deliveries for the day and it get separated for delivery. Thus USPS would become final destination delivery carrier where everyone saves money on delivery costs (so basically you'd get one delivery per day instead of multiple deliveries from different companies per day).

Old 06-09-2012, 02:42 PM

45,379 posts, read 60,561,367 times
I got two packages shipped via UPS the other day. Picked both of them up at the Post Office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies