U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2012, 03:00 PM

4,428 posts, read 4,192,037 times

Advertisements

I would like to live forever - even though a lot of City Data posters would like it if I were snuffed out today.

I figure I'll maybe make it to 65. I'd like to die of natural causes, but smoking probably diminishes that possibility.

Even if I could live to be an old man, it seems like that is still too short a lifetime.

I love life and would like to stick around a while. Too many good memories, good friends and so much to still do.

My parents are in their 70's and know that their time is getting limited. They still have a terrific attitude. How do they do it?

When people know that they are closing in on the end, do they have no regrets?

Are most seniors fine with it all?

I think I will have to go out kicking and screaming.

Or maybe I'll get hit by a bus. That would really change the way I always imagined my exit.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2012, 03:04 PM

12,387 posts, read 12,407,518 times
I'll offer my opinion if and when I get the foot I have in the grave out!

Last edited by meson; 06-09-2012 at 03:31 PM..

Old 06-09-2012, 03:06 PM

47,528 posts, read 64,951,273 times
I'm not ready at all -- I figure when I'm about 95 years old I'm going to have to start thinking about the possibility. Maybe go to church more often -- like ever day and start adjusting to the thought of moving on.

Old 06-09-2012, 03:09 PM

14,810 posts, read 15,096,047 times
Your parents probably reached the age where they were able to chuck the rat race and live life on their own terms. We know our time is limited but most of us are happy to have made it as far as we have. Eventually, it becomes sort of a game to see if we can live another year and **** someone off by not dying. And what better place is there than the P&OC Forum for that?

Old 06-09-2012, 03:09 PM

4,991 posts, read 4,193,760 times
If you live life fearing death then you're already dead.

Old 06-09-2012, 03:38 PM

4,428 posts, read 4,192,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
If you live life fearing death then you're already dead.
I don't fear death, I would just like to put it off a little longer.

I know my golf game isn't going to get much better by the time I'm 65, but if I live to be 95, I'll be able to get that much more practice in.

Old 06-09-2012, 03:39 PM

3,201 posts, read 3,594,121 times
Most people die quietly, and life goes on.

Old 06-09-2012, 03:42 PM

29,097 posts, read 24,063,283 times
Waiting for someone to make this topic political - or controversial...

Old 06-09-2012, 03:50 PM

3,201 posts, read 3,594,121 times
Five to one, one in five, no one here gets out alive.

Old 06-09-2012, 03:51 PM

44,884 posts, read 30,823,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
I would like to live forever - even though a lot of City Data posters would like it if I were snuffed out today.

I figure I'll maybe make it to 65. I'd like to die of natural causes, but smoking probably diminishes that possibility.

Even if I could live to be an old man, it seems like that is still too short a lifetime.

I love life and would like to stick around a while. Too many good memories, good friends and so much to still do.

My parents are in their 70's and know that their time is getting limited. They still have a terrific attitude. How do they do it?

When people know that they are closing in on the end, do they have no regrets?

Are most seniors fine with it all?

I think I will have to go out kicking and screaming.

Or maybe I'll get hit by a bus. That would really change the way I always imagined my exit.
What do you call fine with it all. I would be considered 80 if I tried to buy some life insurance and just don't waste time thinking about it. I feared death till I was over 50 but no longer do other than that I may miss out on some really great things and who can say that I won't get to see them where I will be going.

I will promise you that smoking will diminish your live time. I stopped smoking when I was 48 so have been without for over 30 years. I have some emphysema and that is what killed my dad about 7 years ago. He smoked till he was 92 and died at 97 smoke free. Just laid back on his bed and died.

My dad never had a heart attack and I have, he never had a heart ablation and I have and many other things like that he missed out on. I am feeling more and more like it may be getting nearer but not really fearing it at all. I do believe I will live longer if the Supreme Court strikes down Obamacare but there is little I can do about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies