Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 04:45 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,290,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Which means 66% of the tax cuts didn't. And what percentage of the income tax does the 1% pay? Well most of it, of course.
take two people

one earns 50 k per year and pays 10 k in tax

the other earns 1000,000 dollars and pays 100 k in tax

you might say the second guy paid more tax and that is true if you ignore percentages
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2012, 04:45 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
This man is so superior to anything coming from the other side. He is absolutely correct here, no question. To hell with the rich and their rich-only supporting agenda. Because they unfairly benefited from the Bush tax cuts, it's only fitting POST-BUSH that they pay more than their fair share to compensate for the wrong.

Great to have someone of intelligence and effectiveness in the White House after 8 years of the village idiot.
When in the hell will you people tell me what that fair share the rich owe is? I really wonder what that number will be. What is their fair share? Just something that Obama put over on you?

Old 06-09-2012, 04:48 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Not only that, but Obama's fiscal plan is the same thing right wing dream boy Reagan supported.

Obama cites Reagan on taxing the rich - YouTube
but one thing the liberals cant get past

in the 1950's...rich was defines as 300k or more...

....that would be 3 million or more in todays dollars

if the liberals would be REASONABLE and say tax those making over 3 million...nearly everyone (to include the conservatives) would be all for it

but to tax 250k (meaning a workingclass teacher making 125k, married to a workingclass cop making 150k) is taxing the middleclass

Old 06-09-2012, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
When in the hell will you people tell me what that fair share the rich owe is? I really wonder what that number will be. What is their fair share? Just something that Obama put over on you?
what rate of income tax does someone earning over 50 k pay income tax

in ireland the marginal rate of tax is 52% on those earning over 40 k euro

actually its 42% but if your an employer you also pay prsi and a bunch of other levies which brings it up to 52%

Old 06-09-2012, 04:49 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
take two people

one earns 50 k per year and pays 10 k in tax

the other earns 1000,000 dollars and pays 100 k in tax

you might say the second guy paid more tax and that is true if you ignore percentages
liberals only want to use percentages when it suits them

Old 06-09-2012, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Obama's plan is to make the tax cuts permanent for those making under $250,000 a year, and restoring them only to those making more or the top 2%.
Not only that, Obama and the democrats fight to preserve your social security and medicare. If you keep on supporting the GOP, you better have one heck of a retirement plan and/or savings or else you will be in a big heap of trouble.
Just how hard are the Dems fighting to keep Social Security around? I only see them refusing to do what needs to be done instead of doing anything to hurt their "baby". I keep hearing that crap from people like you but never see anything to prove what you are saying.

Old 06-09-2012, 04:51 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,948,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Which means 66% of the tax cuts didn't. And what percentage of the income tax does the 1% pay? Well most of it, of course.
It means that 1% got 30% and the other 99% shared 70% and the whole nation got deficits. In other words, we made the tax code less progressive and ran up debt. Now, the GOP solution (Ryan Plan) is to lower taxes on the rich more, increase taxes on the poor (they Orwellianly call it "broadening the base"), cutting deductions of the middle class (mortgage deduction) and slashing federal programs.

It's far better just to undo the tax-cuts that got us into this mess instead of perpetuating the privileged tax status of the rich.

Old 06-09-2012, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
There is a saying, "statistics do not lie but liars use statistics." Allowing all the tax-cuts to expire adds $2.3 trillion to the Treasury over 10 years. Only allowing the rate for the top 1% top to expire brings in $700 billion.

That means that a third of the tax-cuts went to 1% of the taxpayers. Moreover, while the average tax-payer got a few hundred dollars off, the average millionaire got over $100,000.

On top of all that, the stated goal of the tax-cuts was never achieved. These tax-cuts were first envisioned in Bush's 1999 campaign as a way of returning the surplus to the people. It ended up creating huge deficits.

The 2003 tax-cuts were sold as a jobs program to create 5 million jobs. It failed at that but did succeed at creating more income inequality.

I am for allowing all the tax-cuts to expire, even though it means my taxes will rise. The government simply needs the revenue and the Clinton tax-rates were not that high to begin with. What should be done is index the 1998 $250,000 to what that is today. I estimate it's about $395,000. A better plan is to have many narrow marginal rates, perhaps 15 or 20, to make the tax code more progressive. Good luck getting sensible reform through this Congress. If Obama is for it, the GOP is against it.

The very true fact is that we tax our rich too little. There is no evidence whatsoever to show that economic activity is hampered by taxes that are below confiscatory levels -- none.
I think that somewhere in that pile of Pelosi you just tried to stack on us there is an indication of what the fair share of the rich is but I just can't dig it out. Could you just state what that fair share is in English?

Old 06-09-2012, 04:53 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
It means that 1% got 30% and the other 99% shared 70% and the whole nation got deficits. In other words, we made the tax code less progressive and ran up debt. Now, the GOP solution (Ryan Plan) is to lower taxes on the rich more, increase taxes on the poor (they Orwellianly call it "broadening the base"), cutting deductions of the middle class (mortgage deduction) and slashing federal programs.

It's far better just to undo the tax-cuts that got us into this mess instead of perpetuating the privileged tax status of the rich.
In other words Congress raised their spending level when the should have been lowering it. The problem has never been revenue. The problem has always been spending. You can control spending, you cannot control revenue.

Old 06-09-2012, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
liberals only want to use percentages when it suits them
i dont regard myself as a liberal but IMO , the wealthy pay a low rate of tax in the usa

capital gains is something like 15% , in ireland its 30% , in the uk its 35% and in germany and france its 40% , wall st have it good under both parties
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies