Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2012, 06:02 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,327,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Human sexuality IS a social issue...Here it is part of the education of normal human sexuality taught in our schools...If you want to argue semantics or just for the sake of arguing, I'm not going to bite.
I'm not arguing anything, I made a simple statement and you replied, I simply explained my statement, it's not a big deal, enough said.

Last edited by Roaddog; 06-10-2012 at 06:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2012, 06:52 PM

2,677 posts, read 2,612,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC~Mom View Post
Let me assume....a white hetero, married couple...missionary position only.
With the lights off, and the curtains pulled, and ONLY if procreation is the intent.

Old 06-10-2012, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Personally I couldn't care less as long as no one is trying to indoctrinate my child with the idea that this is "normal".
That's not indoctrination. That's called "truth".

Quote:
My kid, my values. Your kid... well teach them any damn thing you believe in.
Your values are backwards. I feel sorry for your kids, and hope they see through your bigotry.

Old 06-11-2012, 04:43 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,073,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post
That's not indoctrination. That's called "truth".

Your values are backwards. I feel sorry for your kids, and hope they see through your bigotry.
*Your* version of "truth" reigns supreme and should be pushed into *my* child's mind? Says who?

Sounds like an opinion to me, and you know what the say about opinions. The difference between yours and mine is that I acknowledge mine for what it is, while you're convinced yours is unassailable.

I feel sorry for your kid(s) also. But they're yours to mess up any way that you see fit. Too bad you don't feel the same about the children that others have brought into the world.

Old 06-11-2012, 04:52 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,375,038 times
Quote:
(to DentalFloss)
*Your* version of "truth" reigns supreme and should be pushed into *my* child's mind? Says who?
You should only be asking what makes one opinion better than another.

If one "version of truth" is better than the other (which means we must be comparing a truth to an untruth), it doesn't need to be said by anyone. It just is. It's like asking, "The sun is a ball of fire? Says who?" These things are not decided, only discovered.

Now, keeping that in mind, isn't it a given that all children should know the truth? That they should all have such understanding "pushed" into their minds? No parent should let a stubborn, "It's my kid, I'll do what I want with it" mentality keep their child blind and ignorant. I see no purpose served by teaching a kid that homosexuality "isn't normal", other than paving the way for them to be angry and intolerant in the future, in which tolerance of homosexuality will probably be more common than it already is.

Old 06-11-2012, 04:55 AM

2,203 posts, read 5,076,125 times
Quote:

Sounds like an opinion to me, and you know what the say about opinions. The difference between yours and mine is that I acknowledge mine for what it is, while you're convinced yours is unassailable.

I feel sorry for your kid(s) also. But they're yours to mess up any way that you see fit. Too bad you don't feel the same about the children that others have brought into the world.
So you care about other's kids? As long as they aren't gay kids right?
I shall find it sad when any of these "gay opposers" finds out that THEIR child is gay...their relationship will be over. And it is VERY likely that at least one of these posters on these homosexual threads has a gay child...they just don't realize it yet. You are teaching your kids that your love is conditional. Sad. Sad. Sad.

Old 06-11-2012, 05:09 AM

33,512 posts, read 37,073,486 times
Quote:

What make you think that any parent "owns" their children? Here is a little wisdom for you....

On Children
Kahlil Gibran

Your children are not your children.
They are the sons and daughters of Life's longing for itself.
They come through you but not from you,
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.

You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
You may strive to be like them,
but seek not to make them like you.
For life goes not backward nor tarries with yesterday.

You are the bows from which your children
as living arrows are sent forth.
The archer sees the mark upon the path of the infinite,
and He bends you with His might
that His arrows may go swift and far.
Let your bending in the archer's hand be for gladness;
For even as He loves the arrow that flies,
so He loves also the bow that is stable.

Old 06-11-2012, 06:46 AM

Quote:
The difference between yours and mine is that I acknowledge mine for what it is, while you're convinced yours is unassailable.
Well, since my version includes such concepts as treat everyone with respect and kindness, and yours includes hatred and bigotry, I'll take my version any day of the week. But that's just me.

Old 06-11-2012, 07:25 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,073,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post
Well, since my version includes such concepts as treat everyone with respect and kindness, and yours includes hatred and bigotry, I'll take my version any day of the week. But that's just me.
So disagreement with and a non-willingness to accept as 'normal' equates to "hatred and bigotry"? Playing the role as an oppressed victim is a tried-and-true way to garner support, eh?

Does treating everyone with respect and kindness also mean embracing those viewpoints with which you may strongly disagree, for whatever reason? Does it include allowing others to imbue their views into the mind of your child, over your own beliefs and values? I'm more of the live-and-let-live mindset, IOW, keep out of my way and I'll keep out of yours. And above all else, do not harm my child - and I'll define what constitutes 'harm'.

Interesting approach you have, but hardly new. Keep on playing the victim card, though. It's worked for others.

Old 06-11-2012, 07:39 AM

Quote:
So disagreement with and a non-willingness to accept as 'normal' equates to "hatred and bigotry"?
In a single word, yes.

There is no reason, aside from "God said so" or "I think it's icky" to label homosexuality as "abnormal"*. The former is insufficient grounds for secular law, the latter is your own personal hangups. That you are in favor of treating humans as inferior because they don't conform their sexuality to what you desire for yourself makes you a hater and a bigot.

There is no other way to put it.

If you are proud of being a hater and a bigot, by all means continue the course you're on. If having that pointed out to you gives you pause, perhaps you should reconsider your behaviors and prejudices.

*It is a valid statement to label homosexuality as "abnormal" from a statistical perspective, for it is accurate. But by that standard, left handed people, green eyed people, skydivers, motorcycle riders, black people, males, those above 6' in height, and those with IQ's above ~120 are also "abnormal". But you can't use "statistically abnormal" to make a moral judgement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies