Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 08:19 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,158,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
It doesn't surprise me at all, and it sounds very feasible that these operations have been building and are concurrent with anti-Iran rhetoric from the Oval Office, the Pentagon and elsewhere.

History has a way of repeating itself.
If I am not mistaken, Iran and Syria have a mutual defense pact. Which also makes the rising tensions in Syria all the more notable. I can only hope and do my small part to keep history from repeating itself in a manner as described above.

Also, this is something that just came across in my inbox and I find most interesting from Science Daily.

DAMASCUS, Syria, Sept. 24 (UPI) -- Senior Syrian officials said Monday the U.S. airstrike on a Syrian nuclear facility Sept. 6 has ruined all chances of peace with Israel.

The announcement came after Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert said earlier Monday there would be no war with Syria, the Jerusalem Post reported.

Olmert said ongoing tension with Syria in the past few weeks would not turn into armed conflict, and while Syria's troops are "on alert," Syrian Information Minister Mohsen Bilal said Syria would not initiate an attack, Ynetnews reported.

U.S. air strike? I am thinking this may be a misprint, but would be chilling if it wasn't. There has been a huge media blackout of the raid into Syria leaving many wondering what the heck really happened.

ScienceDaily: Syria refuses peace talks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2007, 02:08 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,069,843 times
I can't seem to find a link to the radio broadcast that aired today on "Alternative Radio" (NPR-Jeffersonville) and unfortunately I only heard the tail end, but it was beyond fascinating--clear, concise and prescient.

Here's a piece in the WP that covers journalist Frost's new affiliation and some possible connection to the radio broadcast.

Why is it interesting! Frost talks candidly about a potential attack on Iran.

Al-Jazeera Finds Its English Voice

Old 09-25-2007, 02:19 PM

Quote:
I can't seem to find a link to the radio broadcast that aired today on "Alternative Radio" (NPR-Jeffersonville) and unfortunately I only heard the tail end, but it was beyond fascinating--clear, concise and prescient.

Here's a piece in the WP that covers journalist Frost's new affiliation and some possible connection to the radio broadcast.

Why is it interesting! Frost talks candidly about a potential attack on Iran.

Al-Jazeera Finds Its English Voice
That is excellent, I wish the well in their endeavors. I hope as they add a new perspective it will at the very least lead to a better understanding of the mindset of the Middle Eastern view.

I caught a bit on the rumors that many in US military circles are very much opposed to military confrontation with Iran and that some predict a large exodus of senior military personnel if the US were to engage so. I will have to see if I can find it... ugh, my desk is stacked with way too much stuff...

Old 09-25-2007, 07:30 PM

I haven't owned a television for 10 years but I got one as a loaner. I just saw a piece on MSNBC (9-10pm) with two journalists, Salon, one of the two, and Pat Buchanan: all three agreed that the US is on the brink of seriously considering war with Iran.

Buchanan went so far as to lay out the plan.

It sent serious chills down my back!

Old 09-25-2007, 07:57 PM

Quote:
I haven't owned a television for 10 years but I got one as a loaner. I just saw a piece on MSNBC (9-10pm) with two journalists, Salon, one of the two, and Pat Buchanan: all three agreed that the US is on the brink of seriously considering war with Iran.

Buchanan went so far as to lay out the plan.

It sent serious chills down my back!
I would not be the least bit surprised if these plans didn't exist for quite some time. Only thing to change in recent moments are the designation of targets. When I first read the Project for a New American Century's plans with the help of the AEI to change the world into America's playground, I thought it science fiction. Any more, little surprises me at what lengths this administration, with the foreign policy guidance of these groups will go.

Then when you hear stories of B-52 bombers carrying nuclear cruise missiles on outer pylons of their wings by mistake, it makes one think, yikes, what in the heck is really going on around this place. If it is just a mistake, it is a serious one and rather chilling, if there is or was more to it, than that turns chilling into a deep freeze.

What gets me is that how every military commander, some with entire life times of experience and knowledge that have been in opposition to will, have been so casually discarded and in some cases discredited. I have to wonder what the mood and prevailing thoughts are in the dark rooms at the Pentagon.

Old 09-25-2007, 08:03 PM

The talk and buzz is increasing. It bodes badly, and it reminds me of other scary times in the Cold War, and Cormac McCarthy's The Road--one of the few books I had a difficult time reading.

The only save in the MSNBC discussion is the admission that Iran's President is not viewed well by his people, and that it is possible this will have an effect on a strike. Yet, our President and those that advise him seem dead set on carrying on poor diplomacy. I understand President Bush shunned the Iranian President as did others at the UN...a sad showing on everyone's part.

Old 09-25-2007, 08:14 PM

Quote:
The talk and buzz is increasing. It bodes badly, and it reminds me of other scary times in the Cold War, and Cormac McCarthy's The Road--one of the few books I had a difficult time reading.

The only save in the MSNBC discussion is the admission that Iran's President is not viewed well by his people, and that it is possible this will have an effect on a strike. Yet, our President and those that advise him seem dead set on carrying on poor diplomacy. I understand President Bush shunned the Iranian President as did others at the UN...a sad showing on everyone's part.
In nearly every instance from our history, when confronted or antagonized, nations and people rally around any leader who even at least appears to show strength. Even during 9-11 in this country, the people all put aside their own personal differences and came together, and if Iran is attacked, it will not only bring the people of Iran together, it may bring more of a collaborative effort in the greater Middle East. Sunni, Shiite, Kurd and the many other sects setting aside their personal differences in order to combat a greater enemy.

I have to wonder if the any in the Bush administration put down their copy of, "The Prince" by Machiavelli long enough to read the far more relevant to the times, the works of Sun Tzu or Frederick the Great or if someone would just bother putting in the VHS tape and let them watch Lawrence of Arabia.

While it may not be applicable with the Middle East in general, especially in Pakistan, Afghanistan, or even those states on the Arabian peninsula,but Iran has an under tone of dissent among its academic, its students, and those advocating democratic reforms. I think there is an opportunity that will be squandered by a military confrontation and it will not arrive on our door step for a good long time again.

But then again, maybe that is the plan... (shudders)

Last edited by TnHilltopper; 09-25-2007 at 08:15 PM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies