Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 06:59 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,165,396 times

Advertisements

EXCLUSIVE: Coney Island principal refuses to let kindergarten students sing "God Bless the USA" at graduation, but Justin Bieber's "Baby" is OK - NYPOST.com

Another, "I am afraid that being proud of our country and its heritage may offend someone", person. According to the article, Five classes spent months learning this song, only to be told that it was all in vain.

I think the Principal failed her students.

Quote:
NEW YORK – A New York City principal has pulled the plug on patriotism by preventing students from singing "God Bless the USA" at their graduation.

The decision has sparked fireworks at a school filled with proud immigrants.

Greta Hawkins, principal of PS 90, the Edna Cohen School, will not allow kindergarten students to belt out the beloved Lee Greenwood ballad, also known as "Proud to be an American," at their moving-up ceremony.

Five classes spent months learning the patriotic song, which skyrocketed in popularity after the 9/11 attacks and the 2003 invasion of Iraq.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2012, 07:22 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
It has the word "God" in it...zero tolerance. Not allowed. Shows discrimination for all those people who don't believe in God. Got to be PC at all costs.

Old 06-10-2012, 07:48 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,726,318 times
Why sing a song about this great country when you can teach 5 year olds a song with timeless lyrics like these:

"Are we an item? girl quit playing,
we're just friends, what are you saying.

I buy you anything, I buy you any ring,
and now please say baby fix me and you shake me til you wake me from this bad dream."

And of course, the good grammar:

"I just can't believe we aint together"
"don't need no Starbucks."

Insanity.

Old 06-10-2012, 07:51 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
if you dont like patriotic songs u dont have to be getting money from a federally funded job.
fire him.

Old 06-10-2012, 07:54 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,827,481 times

God Bless the U.S.A. by Lee Greenwood - YouTube
This song is awesome. They used to play it at the end of our base exercises in Korea.

as is this one

"Bless The Broken Road" - Rascal Flatts Official Music Video - YouTube

I don't believe in God or any god for that matter. Still, you can't deny the power of the song, or how it affects you when you hear it.

Old 06-10-2012, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post

I don't believe in God or any god for that matter. Still, you can't deny the power of the song, or how it affects you when you hear it.
But there are some that are hung up on semantics and if they hold power then they use it at their discretion. That's what seems to have happened here.

Old 06-10-2012, 08:58 AM

4,991 posts, read 4,503,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
It has the word "God" in it...zero tolerance. Not allowed. Shows discrimination for all those people who don't believe in God. Got to be PC at all costs.
You actually have to be fair at all costs. Keep all god references out of public school.

Old 06-10-2012, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
You actually have to be fair at all costs. Keep all god references out of public school.
Yes, that is why the Pledge of Allegiance is now optional and even omitted in some schools.

Old 06-10-2012, 09:09 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
EXCLUSIVE: Coney Island principal refuses to let kindergarten students sing "God Bless the USA" at graduation, but Justin Bieber's "Baby" is OK - NYPOST.com

Another, "I am afraid that being proud of our country and its heritage may offend someone", person. According to the article, Five classes spent months learning this song, only to be told that it was all in vain.

I think the Principal failed her students.
The problem is -- this is likely a school full of immigrants who would be offended by a song that is about pride in this country. They hate this country.

Or it's about having a Godless and atheist nation where nothing religious is to be tolerated.

Old 06-10-2012, 09:14 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,726,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Yes, that is why the Pledge of Allegiance is now optional and even omitted in some schools.
Good point. We should no longer allow any child to say the pledge at school. Instead they should stand each morning and recite Justin Bieber lyrics.

And can't have a US flag in the classroom, that might be offensive also.
Luckily the Dems in Florida had a new flag made up that we can use instead:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies